IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The JAB-the most important punch!!, Do judges score it today?? Is it underappreciated??
Musashi100
post Apr 24 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #11

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,711

you land with your jab you score with your jab.

This post has been edited by Musashi100: Apr 24 2013, 01:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SCIO
post Apr 24 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #12

Amateur

Member No.: 13,562

QUOTE (DevJ560 @ Apr 24 2013, 12:52 PM) *
The jab is more a setup punch than a scoring punch

That's exactly opposite of the truth. The jab disrupts your opponents offense, it sets up your trail hand, and if your landing it that's still a PUNCH. You have to score every use of the jab and the skills applied in that use.

+Quote Post
SCIO
post Apr 24 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #13

Amateur

Member No.: 13,562

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 23 2013, 10:56 AM) *
Well as we move to an era in which Boxing (the skill-hit without being hit) is now an unappreciated art form and the era of Brawling/UFCish style action packed fights are accepted as the skill (aka art form, if you will) it beckons the question:

Is the Jab an unappreciated/unscored punch? There was a time when this was the most important punch in a fight, it dictated ring generalship, if not atleast the pace of a fight and judges seemingly used to appreciate it more back in the day.

I saw AT score continuously with his jab (though he did miss often) but still the ones that landed should've been counted as much as the powerpunches landed by Canelo. Now I'm not solely focusing on this fight but rather using it as an example.

It just appears that more emphasis was placed on the powerpunches than the jab which landed with regularity rather than consistently.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated and what other fights you saw where a fighter's jab was landing much more than the other's powerpunches.

DISCUSS!!

JABucation MUST SEE!: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ1M8KlcUXs&feature=plcp

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Apr 24 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Musashi100 @ Apr 24 2013, 01:02 PM) *
you land with your jab you score with your jab.

I agree, I saw you on boxrec. I"m Brut

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Apr 24 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Great post. It does appear that jabs count for very little. I think it depends on how the guy throws it. Wladimir Klitschko's jab should be counted as a power punch. He sits on his jab the way other guys sit on straight rights. Austin Trout doesnt have a powerful jab like that. His jab is thrown to offset timing and to keep the opponent honest. Its a flicking punch just a little harder than a tap, as opposed to a commited punch.

If I land 16 jabs and you land 3 powerful shots, who gets the round. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe they should have a more definitive way of scoring, since "scoring punch" is very general and vague.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Apr 25 2013, 12:18 AM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 24 2013, 04:25 PM) *
Great post. It does appear that jabs count for very little. I think it depends on how the guy throws it. Wladimir Klitschko's jab should be counted as a power punch. He sits on his jab the way other guys sit on straight rights. Austin Trout doesnt have a powerful jab like that. His jab is thrown to offset timing and to keep the opponent honest. Its a flicking punch just a little harder than a tap, as opposed to a commited punch.

If I land 16 jabs and you land 3 powerful shots, who gets the round. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe they should have a more definitive way of scoring, since "scoring punch" is very general and vague.

Cottos jab is very good to. He knocked down clottey with it lol. He almost shoots it like a straight right sometimes nanny pacquiao style, I heard he's naturally left handed so that might be it.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 25 2013, 12:35 AM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 23 2013, 01:27 PM) *
it's the video game era we live in. ppl believe u can go into a ring and throw knock out blows. there's very little understanding. i love to show them how easy it is to disrupt shit with an educated jab. doesn't need to be hard. just accurate.

Never thought of it like that but I can't disagree with your assessment. Most want to load up on their shots because they think it's fancy, or eye catching. But they and their trainer fail to realize a good jab can help set those shots up

Larry Holmes was a master with the jab, we probably will never see that level of mastery again

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 25 2013, 03:37 AM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

the jab is something so nice, it just sucks if you have short short arms lol

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 25 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 25 2013, 01:35 AM) *
Never thought of it like that but I can't disagree with your assessment. Most want to load up on their shots because they think it's fancy, or eye catching. But they and their trainer fail to realize a good jab can help set those shots up

Larry Holmes was a master with the jab, we probably will never see that level of mastery again

i teach and emphasize the jab. there are several ways to throw them and i encourage my guys to learn and master every single one. u can use it to find range...to blind an opponent...to open a guard...to lull an opponent....to hurt an opponent....to keep him occupied....to take some steam out of an opponent...to bide time....to disrupt an attack....to set up a hook...to set up a cross...to set up an uppercut...etc..etc...

it can be thrown from the high guard....from the hip....from the chest....at half distance...from the chin....

the jab is the beginning and end of most combinations.

"when in doubt, jab out."

the jab keeps your opponent from throwing the right hand if u do it right.

i've dropped ppl with jabs. i've busted noses with jabs. i've won fights with just simple jabs. the more time u spend on your jab...the better u will be as a fighter.

if u understand ur body...u don't have to have the longer reach to have the better jab. it's all about timing and head movement.

the jab is the most important punch in all of boxing imo.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 25 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #20

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Tommy Hearns... now there was one of the best jabs all time... up there with larry holmes.. George Foreman also had a damned good jab

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:22 PM