IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andre berto to train with Virgil Hunter?, Is it too late or can an old dog learn new tricks?
checkleft
post Mar 19 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

So there is a report on the front page saying sources confirmed that berto has been training in hunters gym. To me this will be a good move for berto, until he gets hit that is. I think virgil can make him be more careful and maybe increase his ring iq, but once he gets hit/if he gets hit he will crumble and resort back to his slugging ways.

Your guys thoughts on this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 19 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Hey he is trying to to be a better boxer and resurrect a career that is damn near dead. His first fight should be on FNF on ESPN, I think he crumbles under pressure. I give him credit. Hell Ortiz would rather do dancing with the stars than to take his boxing career seriously. I respect the decision and to be honest Hunter will kick all those people out of his corner! Especially his loud ass brother. Berto needs structure and discipline. He has talent but has no idea what to do with it, I think it is a smart move. He is still young enough to have a great boxing career. I would love to see Khan and Berto fight! Two glass chins going at it!

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Mar 19 2013, 11:46 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I think Berto is far too stuck in his ways at this point. Like Dolimite mentioned, his comeback fight should be in FNFs, to help him focus.

Think about it, he's mindfucked us enough by beating up tomato cans, so his opponents can no longer be cupcakes at this point. Imagine if they try to throw him back on premium tv this soon...dude's mind will tell him to perform as if he "deserves" to be on premium tv.

Something tells me that Berto is one of those guys who will never get the point.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 20 2013, 09:14 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Unless Berto can find a trainer to help him relax in the ring hes always going to have stamina issues. I call it the Jermaine Taylor Syndrome. Bertos always wound up so tight in the ring and that causes mental strain. Which burns his energy. Usually by the 3rd or 4th round you can already see Berto getting winded. If he wasnt in such great shape he wouldnt be able to go 12 rounds at all. So unless he can relax hes going to be the same Berto drowning in deep waters no matter who his trainer is.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 20 2013, 11:01 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Berto is too full of himself to improve at this point. Berto got into the game convinced he was a modern era great like Roy Jones Jr. or Floyd Mayweather Jr., protected and riding on high tides. He was never skillfully and mentally tested and easily crumbled against opponents like Ortiz and Guerrero...

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 21 2013, 01:51 AM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I think Virgil hunter is one of the best trainers out there, so I'm going to reserve judgement to see what he can do with Berto...and that's considering that the report is true.

Berto needs to find an identity. He doesn't know who he is as a fighter and he might be too far in the game to make that adjustment but if anybody can help him make it, it's Virgil

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post Mar 21 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #7

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,480

We shall see but more often than not, "No matter where you go, you are what you are player...."

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 21 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

If anybody could do it, I think Hunter can but I think he may be frustrating himself and wasting his time trying to rehabilitate years of piss poor fundamentals with not only Berto but Khan.

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Mar 21 2013, 11:08 AM) *
We shall see but more often than not, "No matter where you go, you are what you are player...."

"You can try to change but that's just the top layer. You was who you was before you got here."

This post has been edited by Franchize: Mar 21 2013, 11:32 AM

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post Mar 21 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #9

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,480

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 21 2013, 12:32 PM) *
If anybody could do it, I think Hunter can but I think he may be frustrating himself and wasting his time trying to rehabilitate years of piss poor fundamentals with not only Berto but Khan.

"You can try to change but that's just the top layer. You was who you was before you got here."

My man!

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 23 2013, 05:07 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

I agree that we'll have to see. One palpable difference will probably be the immediate removal of his father and brother form his corner. As already said by others, they were just not adding any value to Berto's ring efforts and their removal and as far as I know this will be the first time in a long time that he will be in the corner with just a proper trainer, cut man etc. Maybe now he'll focus/think more and will also have a good plan to follow.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 03:04 PM