> Best of the Era
BrutUalBK
post Feb 13 2013, 10:19 AM
Post #21

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 13 2013, 04:53 AM) *
To me guys like bhop an mayweather are obvious choices but I will always lean toward the guys who had to do it the hard way and couldn't pick and choose opponents. Guys like marquez and Martinez (no secret I'm a big Martinez fan). I just love how they didn't let their losses/robberies get in their way of getting to the top and not only to get there but to win fights against the odds against judges/promoters against top competition. But I guess you can call those more along the lines of peoples champs or underdogs

The thing that is really hurting Martinez is having that Legendary fighter on his list, he has some decent A-Lister's but nothing that says HOF at the top levels which is why I believe he needs to move up or fight Andre Ward at a CW or at the very least call him out much in the way that he did with Floyd and Pac.

Martinez is a great fighter but needs to think about moving up, not calling ou those little guys and then he will move his name up in the stakes but still not be on par with BHop or Floyd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 13 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 12 2013, 02:50 PM) *
the only other person i can think of that comes close would be bernard hopkins. he's taken more chances than floyd and his losses are respectable for the most part. except for that acting job he did against dawson. if he can pull off this win against cloud...at his age...and this point in his career...that will be amazing.

I agree, Hopkins is a good choice.

It's hard to vouch for Floyd when he only fights once every other year, then gets mad when people ask him who he's fighting next. Dudes are out here jocking a man that only fights every blue moon.

Bernard builds up his fights intelligently, or he makes the most of who's in front him.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 13 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 13 2013, 06:24 AM) *
See every time I'd like to give it to Hopkins, I just think PPV king, while Hopkins has struggled in this department.

As much as I love Martinez I just can't give it to him in all fairness he hasn't done enough in my eyes, starting out late hurt him but if he keeps on going till late which I really can't see him doing due to his style maybe.

Ward doesn't belong in this era, he's just getting started.

i get that some fighters are more popular than others. popularity drives ppv sales...but it's not the end all be all. if we're talking most popular of an era...pac takes this hands down. but i believe we are talking skills and accomplishment. ppv numbers are great for a fighters wallet...but ppv sales don't even come into the equation when i'm determining who the best is. but that's just me.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 13 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 13 2013, 01:05 PM) *
I agree, Hopkins is a good choice.

It's hard to vouch for Floyd when he only fights once every other year, then gets mad when people ask him who he's fighting next. Dudes are out here jocking a man that only fights every blue moon.

Bernard builds up his fights intelligently, or he makes the most of who's in front him.

i can't believe i'm making an argument for bhop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) usually i'm on the other side of any discussion involving him.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 13 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 13 2013, 07:10 PM) *
i get that some fighters are more popular than others. popularity drives ppv sales...but it's not the end all be all. if we're talking most popular of an era...pac takes this hands down. but i believe we are talking skills and accomplishment. ppv numbers are great for a fighters wallet...but ppv sales don't even come into the equation when i'm determining who the best is. but that's just me.

It's not but if it's a decision that hangs in the balance it can help. For example Ali was simply the best of his era not because of who he fought or that he was champ, but the fact that he stood up for his rights etc.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 13 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 13 2013, 03:28 PM) *
It's not but if it's a decision that hangs in the balance it can help. For example Ali was simply the best of his era not because of who he fought or that he was champ, but the fact that he stood up for his rights etc.

ali fought everyone. what he did outside the ring elevated his status imo.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 13 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 13 2013, 07:31 PM) *
ali fought everyone. what he did outside the ring elevated his status imo.

Agreed, it was his fights that made him great. Think about it, he fought a who's who of the 70's. He fought Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, AND Holmes. You can add Liston and Patterson for good measure. Every last one of those guys is boxing royalty. Ali won most and lost a few. His stances outside the ring are what made him a larger than life figure.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 13 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #28

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 13 2013, 02:11 PM) *
i can't believe i'm making an argument for bhop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) usually i'm on the other side of any discussion involving him.

I cant believe it either. Best believe, Im making the most of this eerie moment, it may be light-years before it ever happens again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 13 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #29

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Isn't that what makes Floyd special is that he does fight when he wants? When he does fight it is like the Oscars for boxing. I respect Floyd for fighting when he wants to. I wished Ali fought less, he would be in much better health. Floyd is being mart with his career and I respect that. It is just like Bulls fans bitching about D Rose not playing, dude had a serious MCL surgery and the only reason why you want the dude to play is because you want to see him? That is how Grant Hill almost destroyed his career is by coming back too soon from an ankle injury (If Tamia were my wife I would never leave the house). It is the same in boxing, who knows what type of punishment Floyd takes in fights or the kind of training he puts his body through. The fact, when he fights, it is worth the wait and I can not knock him for that. Fans can be very selfish at times.

For the best of this era I have three candidates: 1. Mayweather Jr. 2. De La Hoya 3. Kiltchko
Mayweather self explanatory, Oscar fought everyone even though he lost big fights and Both K brothers have dominated the heavyweight division for a very long time.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 14 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #30

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 13 2013, 08:54 PM) *
Isn't that what makes Floyd special is that he does fight when he wants? When he does fight it is like the Oscars for boxing. I respect Floyd for fighting when he wants to. I wished Ali fought less, he would be in much better health. Floyd is being mart with his career and I respect that. It is just like Bulls fans bitching about D Rose not playing, dude had a serious MCL surgery and the only reason why you want the dude to play is because you want to see him? That is how Grant Hill almost destroyed his career is by coming back too soon from an ankle injury (If Tamia were my wife I would never leave the house). It is the same in boxing, who knows what type of punishment Floyd takes in fights or the kind of training he puts his body through. The fact, when he fights, it is worth the wait and I can not knock him for that. Fans can be very selfish at times.

For the best of this era I have three candidates: 1. Mayweather Jr. 2. De La Hoya 3. Kiltchko
Mayweather self explanatory, Oscar fought everyone even though he lost big fights and Both K brothers have dominated the heavyweight division for a very long time.

Don't go there bruh LOL

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:32 AM