Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who will beat Lesnar, Contenders
AussieLad
post Mar 7 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

I think tonights fight between Gonzaga and Carwin will pit two strong candidates capable of beating Lesnar against one another

Carwin is basically another lesnar, only with more experience. He comes in at the maximum weight limit, is roughly the same size as Lesnar, being 6ft 3 to lesnars 6ft 4. Both decorated wrestlers, both extremely powerfull. This would be an awesome match up to watch. I think carwins striking is better than Lesnars, and he can match lenar for wrestling and strength. Their wrestler cancels each other out, and it will come down to who can land the better punches, and i think thats carwin

Gonzaga is a big dude himself, though not as powerfull as either carwin or lesnar. Gonzaga makes up for it by being much more skilled and versatile. He has powerfull striking with both fists and kicks, and is a world class BJJ expert. Granted, he got owned by couture. And Lesnar beat couture... but couture beat gonzaga by keeping the fight standing and pressed up against the cage, using dirty boxing to wreck gonzagas game plan. I dont think Lesnar can do what couture did, and i think he will try and strike with gonzaga which is dangerous as gonzaga is superior at it and has the one thing randy didnt... crushing striking power. And if he tries and bulldoze gonzaga to the mat, he will meet a guy of similar size and who is extremely dangerous on the ground.

I think Lesnar will beat Mir in the rematch. Mir knocking out Minotauro was not a case of Mir being a powerfull striker, it was a case of Big Nog's chin finally having cracked after years of taking big big shots repeatedly. Can Mir get lucky and submit lesnar a second time, certainly a possibility, but i dont see it happening that way

My picks for tonight.

Gonzaga over Carwin... although i think this is a toss up match, i will go with the more experienced guy

Rampage over Jardine by KO. I think that Jardine poses some serious problems for rampage. Forrest chopped rampage down with leg kicks, and they are jardines bread and butter. But i dont think jardine can maintain his distance as well as forrest, and he will get caught in an exchange of punches. His chin isnt as good as forrests and he will stay down

Sell over Brown

Hamill over Munoz

This post has been edited by AussieLad: Mar 7 2009, 04:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Mar 7 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE(AussieLad @ Mar 7 2009, 03:38 PM) [snapback]427344[/snapback]
I think tonights fight between Gonzaga and Carwin will pit two strong candidates capable of beating Lesnar against one another

Carwin is basically another lesnar, only with more experience. He comes in at the maximum weight limit, is roughly the same size as Lesnar, being 6ft 3 to lesnars 6ft 4. Both decorated wrestlers, both extremely powerfull. This would be an awesome match up to watch. I think carwins striking is better than Lesnars, and he can match lenar for wrestling and strength. Their wrestler cancels each other out, and it will come down to who can land the better punches, and i think thats carwin

Gonzaga is a big dude himself, though not as powerfull as either carwin or lesnar. Gonzaga makes up for it by being much more skilled and versatile. He has powerfull striking with both fists and kicks, and is a world class BJJ expert. Granted, he got owned by couture. And Lesnar beat couture... but couture beat gonzaga by keeping the fight standing and pressed up against the cage, using dirty boxing to wreck gonzagas game plan. I dont think Lesnar can do what couture did, and i think he will try and strike with gonzaga which is dangerous as gonzaga is superior at it and has the one thing randy didnt... crushing striking power. And if he tries and bulldoze gonzaga to the mat, he will meet a guy of similar size and who is extremely dangerous on the ground.

I think Lesnar will beat Mir in the rematch. Mir knocking out Minotauro was not a case of Mir being a powerfull striker, it was a case of Big Nog's chin finally having cracked after years of taking big big shots repeatedly. Can Mir get lucky and submit lesnar a second time, certainly a possibility, but i dont see it happening that way

My picks for tonight.

Gonzaga over Carwin... although i think this is a toss up match, i will go with the more experienced guy

Rampage over Jardine by KO. I think that Jardine poses some serious problems for rampage. Forrest chopped rampage down with leg kicks, and they are jardines bread and butter. But i dont think jardine can maintain his distance as well as forrest, and he will get caught in an exchange of punches. His chin isnt as good as forrests and he will stay down

Sell over Brown

Hamill over Munoz

even though this is not a boxing topic and will get closed shortly i think there are several guys that can beat lesnar... couture is one in a rematch... i think both guys tonight have a chance against him... mir can pull the win again... lesnar is green as hell... he is big and strong but true talent will provail everytime... he caught coture but coture is the true talent... shit happens... lesnar is whats gonna kill mma... wwe superstar gets a title shot after 2 or so fights.. thats b.s... he needed to gain his shot and its gonna hurt him.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Mar 7 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Middleweight

QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 7 2009, 09:47 PM) [snapback]427346[/snapback]
even though this is not a boxing topic and will get closed shortly i think there are several guys that can beat lesnar... couture is one in a rematch... i think both guys tonight have a chance against him... mir can pull the win again... lesnar is green as hell... he is big and strong but true talent will provail everytime... he caught coture but coture is the true talent... shit happens... lesnar is whats gonna kill mma... wwe superstar gets a title shot after 2 or so fights.. thats b.s... he needed to gain his shot and its gonna hurt him.

Why would the thread get closes, its in the MMA - UFC board? LOL

I agree, lesnar is green as hell. But, and thats a big but, he does have a few things on his side. Immense size and strength, and like it or not he has some world class wrestling. Wrestlers have historically done well in the UFC, and i would favour a pure wrestler over a pure striker in most situations.

As for getting the shot so early... well its academic. Lesnar was going to be a huge draw for that fight, win or lose, so it benefitted the ufc financially no matter what happened. He was also a bad style for couture, because couture has had trouble with bigger wrestlers in the past. As it went down, couture had trouble again, although i think it was a lucky strike. A glancing blow, but it had enough power to wobble the much smaller man. Lesnar is nowhere near perfect, but his combination of strengths will give 90% of the fighters in the heavy division some serious problems if he can get them to the ground. He is explosively fast for a big guy, and his wrestling skills and strength mean he will take most guys down at will. I really think there are only a couple of guys that can exploit his weaknesses

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Mar 7 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #4

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE(AussieLad @ Mar 7 2009, 03:59 PM) [snapback]427349[/snapback]
Why would the thread get closes, its in the MMA - UFC board? LOL

I agree, lesnar is green as hell. But, and thats a big but, he does have a few things on his side. Immense size and strength, and like it or not he has some world class wrestling. Wrestlers have historically done well in the UFC, and i would favour a pure wrestler over a pure striker in most situations.

As for getting the shot so early... well its academic. Lesnar was going to be a huge draw for that fight, win or lose, so it benefitted the ufc financially no matter what happened. He was also a bad style for couture, because couture has had trouble with bigger wrestlers in the past. As it went down, couture had trouble again, although i think it was a lucky strike. A glancing blow, but it had enough power to wobble the much smaller man. Lesnar is nowhere near perfect, but his combination of strengths will give 90% of the fighters in the heavy division some serious problems if he can get them to the ground. He is explosively fast for a big guy, and his wrestling skills and strength mean he will take most guys down at will. I really think there are only a couple of guys that can exploit his weaknesses

no its not i'm reading this in the boxing board....

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Mar 7 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #5

Middleweight

FightHype Community > MMA HYPE > UFC > Who will beat Lesnar

Thats the path i have on the top of my screen, and when i went into the boxing board i couldnt see this topic.... wierd

On another note, it looks like Mir vs Lesnar is in trouble and they may be looking for a replacment. One of the guys above may just fit the bill if they dont get injured tonight

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/9299...esnar-in-danger

This post has been edited by AussieLad: Mar 7 2009, 05:22 PM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Mar 7 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #6

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE(AussieLad @ Mar 7 2009, 04:13 PM) [snapback]427354[/snapback]
FightHype Community > MMA HYPE > UFC > Who will beat Lesnar

Thats the path i have on the top of my screen, and when i went into the boxing board i couldnt see this topic.... wierd

On another note, it looks like Mir vs Lesnar is in trouble and they may be looking for a replacment. One of the guys above may just fit the bill if they dont get injured tonight

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/9299...esnar-in-danger

you are def. in the boxing board...

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Mar 8 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 6,534

QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 7 2009, 04:47 PM) [snapback]427346[/snapback]

Lesnar got the shot so fast because he is the biggest draw they have I mean D. White isnt stupid...he wants people to order PPVs and he wants asses in the seats...he was part of the most watched MMA card in history which his mostly due to his stardom....im not really big on MMA but Ive followed it enough in the past....Couture is at the end of the road...Mir may have a shot...but Aussielad is right....Lesnar is gonna present problems for most anyone.

He may be green but he makes up for it with great wrestling skills, size, and great quickness for his size...he can only get better. I think he is good for UFC...he will get casual fans to tune in and in the process they will get to see the other fighters who they may have not known about and possibly become real fans.....I dont see how having someone who draws people is hurting MMA....if anything it makes it more popular.

I think what your talking about is credibility...true..if he was just your average guy and not Brock Lesnar he probably wouldnt have gotten a world title shot so quickly....BUT...as long as he doesnt pull a Kimbo Slice I dont think it can really hurt....people know he is inexperienced so when a loss does come it wont be a big surprise or a let-down....they will just wait for the rematch..or till when he fights again.

This post has been edited by streetlion1: Mar 8 2009, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Mar 10 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Middleweight

Well, 2 - 2 in my predictions. Might as well have flipped a coin on them.

Hamill really surprised me with that head kick KO. It was the last thing i was expecting.

I figured Jardine would give Rampage some serious problems, but rampage to catch him at some point which he did, but jackson failed to put the exclamation point on it. He would definitely have gotten the KO i think in a 5 rounder. Solid win, and rashad evans should be an interesting match. The smack talk after the fight was pretty funny, shame it was hard to hear what evans was saying clearly.

Not that surprised that carwin beat gonzaga, but the way he KO'd him certainly did. He connected straight on the chin with what was essentially an arm punch, no hip rotation or momentum behind it, but gonzaga still went down like he'd been kicked by a mule. Carwin has serious power. I was expecting gonzaga's superior striking to be the difference in this fight, and he had carwin in trouble, but squaring up and pushing the pace against a 'hurt' fighter he got caught. Bring on Carwin vs Lesnar. I think there are more deserving guys of a shot vs lesnar out there, but for pure spectacle of giant clones of one another... carwin vs lesnar would be a great fight. I would go with carwin. His punching power is devestating and i think his striking skills are better than lesnars.

Man, Sell got a thorough beat down. I couldnt have been more wrong on that pick

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:31 AM