IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top Rank vs. GOlden Boy Tournament, They would fight for a trophy and money!
Dolimite
post Mar 31 2013, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

What better way to grab the public's interest by getting the two largest promotion companies to do a boxing tournament or a Davis Cup type of matches.

In Davis Cup countries from around the world pick three of their best tennis players and have them compete against other countries. What if Golden boy and Top Rank put their top fighters in each weight class against each other? They could co promote and Showtime and HBO have to compete for the purse...

You could have Gary Russel Jr. vs. Mikey Garcia Mares vs. Donaire, Swift vs. Crawford, Rios vs. Judah (Al Haymon fighter) Thurman vs. Bradley or Marquez and Sergio vs. Canelo, Mayweather vs. Whoever... The possibilities would be endless and the money would be out of this world. You can have a PPV with a stacked undercard and the main event would the cherry on top. What do yawl think? It would never happen but come on a Golden Boy vs. Top Rank tournament would be amazing!

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Mar 31 2013, 05:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 31 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

That would be incredible. It never would happen but it would be incredible lol. Only way it would happen is if one of the big money fighters definitively threw it our there and was steadfast about it. It would have to be in a post fight interview. It would have to be after they won. It would have to be loud and boisterous. Finally, said rebel would have to be persistent about it. They would have to take the same road Guerrero and Bradley took to sneak their way into a title fight. Either that, or Oscar would have to call Bob Arum a pussy and tell him to put his money where his mouth is lol

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 31 2013, 01:35 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Excellent idea!

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 31 2013, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 31 2013, 09:58 AM) *
That would be incredible. It never would happen but it would be incredible lol. Only way it would happen is if one of the big money fighters definitively threw it our there and was steadfast about it. It would have to be in a post fight interview. It would have to be after they won. It would have to be loud and boisterous. Finally, said rebel would have to be persistent about it. They would have to take the same road Guerrero and Bradley took to sneak their way into a title fight. Either that, or Oscar would have to call Bob Arum a pussy and tell him to put his money where his mouth is lol

It could happen. The bad blood that exist between the fighters would sell itself and not to mention Arum issues with Golden Boy and Haymon. You could have Broner vs. Alvarado which would be a great fight you could have so many great matches. Hell Khan could rematch Prescott the possibilities would be endless.

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 31 2013, 11:35 AM) *
Excellent idea!

Thanks, this could happen. I mean maybe this is a way to finally get Top Rank fighters against Golden Boy fighters but that pot has to be big enough for Golden and Top Rank.

There are twelve weight divisions, which means you could have 4 major PPVs or great prime time boxing on either HBO or Showtime. 3 fights per weight class, so you could have the smaller weights fight each other and the weight classes from 140 to 154 would be on PPV. It could work.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 1 2013, 02:43 AM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Not gonna happen but it's a pretty cool idea and I believe it would generate not only maximum revenue but it will bring massive attention back to the sport of boxing. Just the thought of the 2 biggest promotional companies in the sport pitting their fighters against one another would be great. TR vs GB, to see who truly has the best fighters in the world. It's a nice thought but it aint gon happen. Look at that ignorant stuff Arum said about De La Hoya, GB, Haymon, and Showtime at the post fight presser the other day.

This guy 80yrs old and acting like a 14yr old getting bitter about stuff that don't have nothing to do with him. De La Hoya tweeting how he cancelled his HBO subscription was a clear shot at HBO and TR too. They just can't get out of their own way. We, the fans suffer the most from this petty bullshit, we're missing out on possibly career defining and legendary fights because supposed adults can't play in the same sand box unless their in control. No one wins in this case

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 1 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 31 2013, 06:47 PM) *
It could happen. The bad blood that exist between the fighters would sell itself and not to mention Arum issues with Golden Boy and Haymon. You could have Broner vs. Alvarado which would be a great fight you could have so many great matches. Hell Khan could rematch Prescott the possibilities would be endless.

Thanks, this could happen. I mean maybe this is a way to finally get Top Rank fighters against Golden Boy fighters but that pot has to be big enough for Golden and Top Rank.

There are twelve weight divisions, which means you could have 4 major PPVs or great prime time boxing on either HBO or Showtime. 3 fights per weight class, so you could have the smaller weights fight each other and the weight classes from 140 to 154 would be on PPV. It could work.

Oh I don't doubt it would be incredible to watch. I also don't doubt the fights will sell themselves. I'm totally with you on that. I DON'T however see any way Bob Arum would allow this to happen. Too much risk. I mean, when you think about it, MOST of his fighters would have a KO puncher's chance against their Golden Boy counterparts. I think Mikey Garcia would emerge as their go to guy if this were to happen. He probably has more skill than 90% of the Top Prank fighters. I think it would be a terrific thing for the sport and it would help bring defense back to the sport as well.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 1 2013, 12:54 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 1 2013, 05:08 AM) *
Oh I don't doubt it would be incredible to watch. I also don't doubt the fights will sell themselves. I'm totally with you on that. I DON'T however see any way Bob Arum would allow this to happen. Too much risk. I mean, when you think about it, MOST of his fighters would have a KO puncher's chance against their Golden Boy counterparts. I think Mikey Garcia would emerge as their go to guy if this were to happen. He probably has more skill than 90% of the Top Prank fighters. I think it would be a terrific thing for the sport and it would help bring defense back to the sport as well.

It would be great. I guess maybe Arum has to meet his maker before any of this could be talked about. This would be fun. We would finally get Mares and Donaire in the ring and Gary Russell Jr. and Mikey Garcia in the ring, Bradon Rios and Guerreror Alvarado would be FUN! Oh well. Shit the Charlo Twins could finally fight so big names fro Top Rank, If only.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 1 2013, 01:14 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

This may be a bit off point, but let's face it, Arum has a lucky horseshoe up his ass.

He's successfully created some lucrative and fan-friendly rematches, which can lead to other fights. He now has Manny, JMM, Alvarado, Rios, Bradley, and Provodnikov, in the holster. He'll ultimately make a killing off of these fights alone, regardless of how he mixes them.

GBP has some young stars on their roster, but a number of things can happen:

1. We can get those highly anticipated matchups, and they'll end in a sour fashion
2. Someone can test positive for PEDs and ruin everything (Let's face it, most of those of those dudes who came up hot from last year to present, were or are now GBP fighters).
3. They can continue to build their "stars" up by putting them in showcase bouts, only for them to stink it up and get upset. It happens.
4. We can have another series of postponed/cancelled GBP fights, which will turn viewer's attention to these TR cards until the GB fights actually happen.

With all of these factors in mind, when was the last Top Rank disaster? Manny getting knocked out? Cool, but what good has happened since then? This past month of action-packed fights, have pretty much patched up that big boo-boo. Let's not forget, Manny is STILL a draw, regardless.

TR deals with issues waaaay better than GBP. What's happened to GB as of late?

1. They just signed a PED user (Berto), who got busted up by a LW.
2. They signed another guy accused of PEDs (Peterson), who could very well lose to Matthysse, though I give Peterson a strong chance to win.
3. Alexander/Brook has been postponed twice already
4. Khan got knocked by Garcia last July
5. Morales got popped for PEDs
6. Seth Mitchell got whacked by Banks, and the rematch got cancelled
7. Guerrero just got busted with a firearm in the worst state to ever get busted
8. Garcia/Judah got postponed
9. Victor Ortiz is still on the shelf after getting upset by Lopez
10. They put Lopez in a shitty fight against Canelo, smh
11. Trout upset Miguel Cotto, whom was ultimately going to be Golden Boy's 2nd lucrative free agent (like Floyd is), but he got upset and now has to play the waiting game.
12. HBO no longer wants to do business with them
13. They have a loose, but money generating screw in Broner, whose contract is up next month. Even he resigns, who needs that type of liability on their hands?

I know that some of these situations can be made into a good situation, but the damage control that they've had to do over the past year, has been crazy. They've given us some great fights though (after the wound was patched up), but TR's mess usually gets swept under the rug, and they're able to bounce back.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 1 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 1 2013, 11:14 AM) *
This may be a bit off point, but let's face it, Arum has a lucky horseshoe up his ass.

He's successfully created some lucrative and fan-friendly rematches, which can lead to other fights. He now has Manny, JMM, Alvarado, Rios, Bradley, and Provodnikov, in the holster. He'll ultimately make a killing off of these fights alone, regardless of how he mixes them.

1. We can get those highly anticipated matchups, and they'll end in a sour fashion
2. Someone can test positive for PEDs and ruin everything (Let's face it, most of those of those dudes who came up hot from last year to present, were or are now GBP fighters).
3. They can continue to build their "stars" up by putting them in showcase bouts, only for them to stink it up and get upset. It happens.
4. We can have another series of postponed/cancelled GBP fights, which will turn viewer's attention to these TR cards until the GB fights actually happen.

With all of these factors in mind, when was the last Top Rank disaster? Manny getting knocked out? Cool, but what good has happened since then? This past month of action-packed fights, have pretty much patched up that big boo-boo. Let's not forget, Manny is STILL a draw, regardless.

2. They signed another guy accused of PEDs (Peterson), who could very well lose to Matthysse, though I give Peterson a strong chance to win.
7. Guerrero just got busted with a firearm in the worst state to ever get busted
11. Trout upset Miguel Cotto, whom was ultimately going to be Golden Boy's 2nd lucrative free agent (like Floyd is), but he got upset and now has to play the waiting game.
13. They have a loose, but money generating screw in Broner, whose contract is up next month. Even he resigns, who needs that type of liability on their hands?

I know that some of these situations can be made into a good situation, but the damage control that they've had to do over the past year, has been crazy. They've given us some great fights though (after the wound was patched up), but TR's mess usually gets swept under the rug, and they're able to bounce back.

Fucking Kill JOY! But nevertheless I agree. But come on, how sweet would this be if these two promotional companies actually did this. I just really want to see Mikey Garcia and Russell Jr. Mares and Donaire go at it. It would be great.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Apr 1 2013, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 08:49 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 1 2013, 01:14 PM) *

there's another way to look at this...

1. trout/canelo is a great fight. (mega fight imo)
2. mayweather/guerrero is going to be highly competitive. (any fight with floyd is a mega fight at this point)
3. garcia/judah should be good.
4. matthysse/peterson should be good as well.
5. winners of garcia/judah and matthysse/peterson facing each other is a huge statement for best at 140. (mega fight) all 4 of these guys beat rios and alvarado.
6. broner/malignaggi is a huge statement for broner
7. cotto's comeback fight will be a big deal.
8. quillen/guerrero is going to be a good fight.
9. mares/de leon is going to be a good fight.
10. russell jr, jacobs, wilder, lara, kirkland, thurman, santa cruz, maidana, linares, kahn...are all very good guys to have in a stable.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 10:45 PM