IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seth Mitchell: Rematch/Avoid Jonathan Banks?, As his next opponent.
Should Seth Mitchell Rematch Quick or Go In A Different Direction?
Rematch/Avoid?
Rematch [ 4 ] ** [50.00%]
Avoid [ 4 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
Gambit808
post Dec 12 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

And now we have the immediate rematch Feb. 16th according to Boxingscene. This is a 50/50 fight to me, and like I said, Seth is the stronger fighter as he showed In the 1st fight, but he's gonna have to be more than that if he's even wants to think of fighting at the Elite level. Banks pulled off the upset but going to roll the dice again and go with Mitchell for the rematch.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Dec 12 2012, 02:50 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 12 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #12

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

If Seth wants to pull a Shane Mosley and exercise the immediate rematch after an initial loss, then hats off to him. Sad thing is, it wasn't like Seth had an off-night, the difference in skill and experience was a wide one.

Hopefully he corrects his mistakes, defense being one of them. All of the reaching and clinching at the waist is a serial sin in the sport...surely he's learned his lesson.

+Quote Post
VJones
post Dec 12 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #13

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,614

So true. He's such a marketable guy....shame about his chin and lack of defense. If they can work on defensive strategy in the next 2 months...and if he can refrain from getting hit in the face....lol

No, seriously, I'm a fan of Seth's so I hope he can defeat Jonathan this time around and give us a few impressive fights in the future. But that loss put a big damper on my hopes for him as a champion. But I'm not counting him out just yet. I'll be interested to see if he shows improvement.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 12 2012, 04:27 PM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 12 2012, 03:17 PM) *
If Seth wants to pull a Shane Mosley and exercise the immediate rematch after an initial loss, then hats off to him. Sad thing is, it wasn't like Seth had an off-night, the difference in skill and experience was a wide one.

Hopefully he corrects his mistakes, defense being one of them. All of the reaching and clinching at the waist is a serial sin in the sport...surely he's learned his lesson.

Absolutely. It's hard to see a guy like Mitchell who already is a late bloomer to begin with in the sport, improve on everything so quick in between fights especially after a TKO loss, but he certainly needs to improve on the obvious which is Defense and Surviving. I think for the most part he's gonna go back out there looking to erase what happend to him, and go for a KO of his own, because theres no doubt that he CAN hurt Banks. How/if he does that remains to be seen.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 13 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 12 2012, 03:31 PM) *
So true. He's such a marketable guy....shame about his chin and lack of defense. If they can work on defensive strategy in the next 2 months...and if he can refrain from getting hit in the face....lol

No, seriously, I'm a fan of Seth's so I hope he can defeat Jonathan this time around and give us a few impressive fights in the future. But that loss put a big damper on my hopes for him as a champion. But I'm not counting him out just yet. I'll be interested to see if he shows improvement.

So true. The writing was on the wall in the Witherspoon fight. Hopefully he can pull an Amir Khan and rack up some meaningful victories...before getting knocked out again.

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 12 2012, 04:27 PM) *
Absolutely. It's hard to see a guy like Mitchell who already is a late bloomer to begin with in the sport, improve on everything so quick in between fights especially after a TKO loss, but he certainly needs to improve on the obvious which is Defense and Surviving. I think for the most part he's gonna go back out there looking to erase what happend to him, and go for a KO of his own, because theres no doubt that he CAN hurt Banks. How/if he does that remains to be seen.

He must be thinking of going balls to wall and getting Banks outta there. No way in hell he hangs around for 12 rounds against a guy who's been boxing for the better part of 16 years...I just cant see it. If he gets his clock cleaned again, then he can forget it. You're right, he CAN hurt Banks (as we saw in the first fight)...just hoping that he can follow up.

If he happens to stop Banks this time around, then he can fight some soft touches and make some more money...with a possible rubber match looming. In the meantime, though he'd be insulting our intelligence, he can play the "I had an off-night" card when they bring up the first fight.

+Quote Post
VJones
post Dec 13 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #16

Flyweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2012, 11:21 PM) *
So true. The writing was on the wall in the Witherspoon fight. Hopefully he can pull an Amir Khan and rack up some meaningful victories...before getting knocked out again.

He must be thinking of going balls to wall and getting Banks outta there. No way in hell he hangs around for 12 rounds against a guy who's been boxing for the better part of 16 years...I just cant see it. If he gets his clock cleaned again, then he can forget it. You're right, he CAN hurt Banks (as we saw in the first fight)...just hoping that he can follow up.

If he happens to stop Banks this time around, then he can fight some soft touches and make some more money...with a possible rubber match looming. In the meantime, though he'd be insulting our intelligence, he can play the "I had an off-night" card when they bring up the first fight.

Yep, he definitely has to knock Banks out! Oh lord, I almost forgot about the Witherspoon fight...yeah he showed some chininess in that one. Maybe I was just trying to forget, because I wanna root for the guy so badly! =) But yeah, there will be no dethroning of the Klitchkos by that fella. Dream's over. I'm done!

It's funny because in both the Witherspoon fight and with Banks, even though I was rooting for Mitchell, I was kinda okay with a win from the other guys because they had good stories. I had seen Witherspoon on ESPN and he was sloppy and overweight, but he got with (I think, Virgil Hunter) and had changed his life and habits and he looked fairly good and I was actually enjoying him in there a bit.

And then with Banks...with Manny Stewart passing...I was kinda secretly good with Banks winning.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 13 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 13 2012, 10:43 PM) *
Yep, he definitely has to knock Banks out! Oh lord, I almost forgot about the Witherspoon fight...yeah he showed some chininess in that one. Maybe I was just trying to forget, because I wanna root for the guy so badly! =) But yeah, there will be no dethroning of the Klitchkos by that fella. Dream's over. I'm done!

It's funny because in both the Witherspoon fight and with Banks, even though I was rooting for Mitchell, I was kinda okay with a win from the other guys because they had good stories. I had seen Witherspoon on ESPN and he was sloppy and overweight, but he got with (I think, Virgil Hunter) and had changed his life and habits and he looked fairly good and I was actually enjoying him in there a bit.

And then with Banks...with Manny Stewart passing...I was kinda secretly good with Banks winning.

I agree. I hope he went straight to the gym the morning after the Banks fight, and worked on his defense. Honestly, I felt like the stage was a bit too big for him on the Broner card...that's just my personal reservation that I have no clue as where to start in regards to explaining it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Had no idea about Witherspoon's life or bad habits...I gotta check that out. You got a link to it?

+Quote Post
VJones
post Dec 14 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #18

Flyweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 14 2012, 12:02 AM) *
I agree. I hope he went straight to the gym the morning after the Banks fight, and worked on his defense. Honestly, I felt like the stage was a bit too big for him on the Broner card...that's just my personal reservation that I have no clue as where to start in regards to explaining it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Had no idea about Witherspoon's life or bad habits...I gotta check that out. You got a link to it?

I don't...but I'll look around and if I find it, I'll post.

Oh...and I know what you mean about the "the stage being too big". Remember how much emotion he had after the Witherspoon win. He cried, if you recall. I don't think it was solely because of the near calamity and triumph...I think nerves played heavily in that fight and the next. I think the pressure as he's climbed may be too much for his personality. People have placed so much expectation on him. "Next Great American Heavy-weight". Perhaps the weight of it is in fact too heavy. (Okay, couldn't help myself)

This post has been edited by VJones: Dec 14 2012, 05:02 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 14 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i hate to rain on the party...but the things mitchell needs to learn cannot happen with his current coach. at this point...he's a one trick pony who needs to go back to the drawing board and relay his foundation. the only way he secures some meaningful victories "like amir khan" at this point is if he is carefully matched "like amir khan." khan made small changes...but stopped growing/changing under roach. mitchell seriously needs to tear it all down and start over again with someone more knowledgeable. i hate to shit on his current coach like this...but i think bashir got it right in that recent interview.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Dec 14 2012, 05:12 PM

+Quote Post
Musashi100
post Dec 14 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #20

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,711

seth needs this rematch to redeem himself as a true heavyweight fighter for fans to watch. if he decides to move on an not fight banks anymore than im not really going to be interested in seth anymore

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 05:10 PM