Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BJ penn, outgrow 155?
Run and Gun Game...
post Nov 30 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 195

His attitude coming in against matt hughes was completely different. he looked like a different fighter even before the fight started. No disrespect to Frankie edgar. I just wonder if BJ cutting to 155 just became to hard at his age. He will be a smaller 170 pd fighter, but personally i think that is where he belongs now. the John Fitch fight will tell us more, alot more.

This post has been edited by Run and Gun Game Calls: Nov 30 2010, 09:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Dec 1 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

I think that KO had more to do with how far past it Hughes was then how good BJ is at 170 regardless of that little win streak Hughes had going in.

Penn to me is a natural 155lber it's just that he a lazy f*ck you can see it in his body all that flab around his waist at 170lbs.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Dec 1 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #3

Welterweight

Maybe, but recently hughs has looked rededicated, and looked very solid. If Penn Beats Fitch my opinion will be much higher on him at this weight.

+Quote Post
Hittman25
post Dec 1 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Flyweight

Member No.: 10,662

Penn defenitaly looks way better at 170 u can tell he was killing himself to make 155........he can have all the flab he wants aslong as he can hit like a mule and do his jit zu its all good

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Dec 1 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Welterweight

I agree hitman

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Dec 1 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE (Hittman25 @ Dec 1 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Penn defenitaly looks way better at 170 u can tell he was killing himself to make 155........he can have all the flab he wants aslong as he can hit like a mule and do his jit zu its all good

Don't get me wrong im a huge fan of Penn but he doesn't hit like a mule he has good power but not great. Yes he KTFO of Hughes but Hughes has arguably the worst stand up of all elite MMA fighters and he is not known for haveing a good chin either.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Dec 1 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #7

Welterweight

the uno win was when I gained respect for penns power more than the hughes fight.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Dec 2 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

Penn's got some pop, but I don't know that he has legit 1-punch power. His technique, as always with Penn, is excellent. He can put guys out who aren't up to par in the striking department, but I don't think he has the kind of brutish power that someone like a Gomi or a Liddell (ugh, I loathe using him as an example) do.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Dec 2 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

As for which weight class Penn belongs in, I think it is a toss-up. No grown man really belongs at 155lbs. That's the weight of your typical middle schooler. It all comes down to conditioning, which Penn has never really been known for.

Penn has looked good at 155, but realistically he's probably done there. He can't really keep pace with guys like Edgar. At a higher weight he might give up strength and size, but he'll make up for it with technique and relative speed. We'll see.

Fitch is a terrible match-up though. He'll try to dry-hump his way to victory and he may just do it. Penn has good Jits from top position, but he's never shown that he can consistently beat fighters from guard. (The way Big Nog has, for example.) These days he doesn't even seem to want ANYTHING to do with the ground game at all, in fact. He's content to stalk his opponent around the ring looking for one big punch. I hate that shit, as it is a clear sign of laziness.

Penn, like Rampage, needs to get back to being a complete fighter. That's his biggest key. Whether he's a lightweight or welterweight matters little compared to that.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Dec 2 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

QUOTE (Warlord @ Dec 2 2010, 03:12 AM) *
As for which weight class Penn belongs in, I think it is a toss-up. No grown man really belongs at 155lbs. That's the weight of your typical middle schooler. It all comes down to conditioning, which Penn has never really been known for.

Penn has looked good at 155, but realistically he's probably done there. He can't really keep pace with guys like Edgar. At a higher weight he might give up strength and size, but he'll make up for it with technique and relative speed. We'll see.

Fitch is a terrible match-up though. He'll try to dry-hump his way to victory and he may just do it. Penn has good Jits from top position, but he's never shown that he can consistently beat fighters from guard. (The way Big Nog has, for example.) These days he doesn't even seem to want ANYTHING to do with the ground game at all, in fact. He's content to stalk his opponent around the ring looking for one big punch. I hate that shit, as it is a clear sign of laziness.

Penn, like Rampage, needs to get back to being a complete fighter. That's his biggest key. Whether he's a lightweight or welterweight matters little compared to that.

i agree with most of that. I just think at lightweight he isnt in top form on fightnight anymore. Is Frankie edgar a better fighter than BJ penn??? Hello no, but right now, at 155 he is

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:21 PM