IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is he better now or then?? Is his legs gone?? (Floyd Mayweather), Did he lose a step or two?? You be the Judge
bnoles4life
post Feb 14 2013, 08:47 AM
Post #21

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 13 2013, 12:41 PM) *
I'm almost convinced that Floyd fans are making me not like the guy nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

On a real note, I have seen him slow down a bit in his last few fights. Maybe he just super relaxed, who knows? As for his legs, I believe they were terrible in the Mosley fight. Well, not terrible, but not in tip top shape. Im not harping on Mosley being a pubic's hair length away from dropping him in the 2nd round, but overall.

For some reason, Floyd's body language in the Mosley and Cotto fights, gave me a hunch that he was somewhat forced into those fights. Honestly, his "hit and not get hit" fighting style, seemed have a liiiitle bit more added pressure than we're used to seeing, and I incorporate that his PPV rivalries with Manny over the past few years.

On the contrary, I thought his legs looked good...dayum good (to include and ESPECIALLY his near death experience w/ those two Mosley rights..lol). I think that was part of the plan w/ him. He said early in the that training, he wasn't going to move and what not, he was gonna walk him down. Because that fight was personal to Floyd (though he won't admit it), I believe he and Roger (okay...just Floyd..lol) devised a plan to KO Shane. He knew then what we all KNOW about Shane now, when the going gets tough, Shane wants to touch gloves and hold. So, in short, I think that was more game plan than it was aging. Plus, this wasn't an issue until Freddie Roach jumped out of the bushes like Eddie Cain from 5 Heartbeats, with the whole, "Floyd's legs are gone..."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 14 2013, 09:05 AM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 13 2013, 02:16 PM) *
1. The thing I've noticed though in regards to most Floyd fans is that they do tend to be more fans of the sport instead of just a bandwagon Mayweather fan and they tend to be more realistic than most of these internet Pacquiao fans.

2. I thought his legs looked like they sustained him well in the fight with Shane, in fact, I'd go so far to say that he was very fortunate to have had those stronger legs otherwise he would've hit the canvas.

3. I disagree that Floyd was forced into those fights, I believe he wanted Shane a long time ago and Cotto as well. Try not to forget that Cotto was a Top Rank fighter protected by Bob Arum from Floyd for a long time, if I can recall correctly when Bob was trying to get Margo the fight with Floyd that Mayweather only wanted that fight if it included a bout with Cotto for 10 million but Arum balked at the idea. <<<I might be wrong on that but I do remember vaguely that there was a couple of bouts Floyd asked Bob for and one of them included Cotto for 10 mil.

4. I think many people started to look for comparisons of Floyd to Manny and vice versa as if that would determine who would win, I can recall many debates with fans of Pac that stated stuff like well he beat Oscar and Ricky better and from some Mayweather fans stating well he beat JMM far easier and he beat Oscar first and not at a CW. So you're right, people were doing some sort of reckoning but i don't think none of that would've mattered if they were to get it on.

5. Skill will definitely be a plus when dealing with Floyd but patience will not get it done, you need someone with a high work rate a great jab, equal or better speed and equal or better defense to beat Floyd and then after that you still need someone with a high ring IQ. Honestly right now there are only about 2 guys I can think of that have those things that can offset Floyd's skills, Martinez and Trout.

Tall, rangy, SPs with a great jab and enough pop will help to keep Floyd honest but there aren't that many of them in the game today and especially in the WW or Jr MW division.

1. I somewhat disagree with this point about Floyd fans being fans of the sport. There are some guys around here, that we ONLY hear from when some news has broken about Floyd. If they "appear" to know anything about the sport, it usually consists of them reciting some mumbo jumbo that came from his mouth, or their points usually begin with, "Well, back in 2007 when Floyd fought Oscar...". Again, I have to somewhat disagree with the point, but on the other hand, Floyd does educate his fans about the sport, so it's more of a 55/45 deal, now that I sit back and look at it.

2. I can rock with you on this point. Had his legs been that bad, then yes, he would've gone down. I was speaking of his legs throughout the fight...maybe he just didnt appear in most rounds. Of course that's just my observation though.

3. He did want Shane and Cotto years ago, we ALL know the stories behind that. The thing is, at his point of his career, both guys (Shane and Cotto) had NOTHING to lose, which made them somewhat of a substantial threat. Floyd on the other hand, had everything to lose. He pretty much gave Shane and Miguel a breath of new life when he agreed to fight them, and we both know that those guys are/were dangerous, and had fought some stiff competition throughout their careers.

4. Agreed, totally. The people that mattered (the actual buyers) were seeing who still had what left in the tank, and as we hardcore fans know, the result of the fight would've been what we originally predicted. The buyers saw what they wanted to see, which worked for both guys, and there's no turning back once you hit that "buy" button, so everybody won in that case. Well, now that I think about it, we ALL actually lost...the fight still hasn't happened. We've been duped here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

5. I dont know. Going into the fight, I think his opponents think "high work rate", but when it falls through, that "high work rate" looks like a game of cat and mouse gone terribly wrong. We can eve throw the coyote and road runner games in there, add others if you will. Lol. When that high work rate falls through, a guy still has to be patient, and as you mentioned, they need the ring IQ to pull this off. I guess I'll settle with a guy needing good timing, but that goes along with ring IQ, so you're right here. All of those characteristics that a fighter needs (tall, rangy, southpaw, high work rate) dont matter...especially if they're used wrong. Again, you pretty much made your point with the ring IQ part.

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 13 2013, 10:11 PM) *
If he fights toe to toe he is losing his legs, if he circles around his opponent he is boring and "running if he engages with an opponent and is willing to get hit he has lost a step and his defense is not as strong, if he pots shot all night he is scared to engage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nea.gif) no matter how he fights he will have critics. I guess it comes with the territory.

Is that you, Floyd???

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 14 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 14 2013, 08:47 AM) *
On the contrary, I thought his legs looked good...dayum good (to include and ESPECIALLY his near death experience w/ those two Mosley rights..lol). I think that was part of the plan w/ him. He said early in the that training, he wasn't going to move and what not, he was gonna walk him down. Because that fight was personal to Floyd (though he won't admit it), I believe he and Roger (okay...just Floyd..lol) devised a plan to KO Shane. He knew then what we all KNOW about Shane now, when the going gets tough, Shane wants to touch gloves and hold. So, in short, I think that was more game plan than it was aging. Plus, this wasn't an issue until Freddie Roach jumped out of the bushes like Eddie Cain from 5 Heartbeats, with the whole, "Floyd's legs are gone..."

LMAO at "jumped out of the bushes like Eddie Cain"!

I agree though, nobody even mentioned Floyd's legs, until Freddie mentioned it. Now that you mentioned the Shane fight being personal, maybe that's why I though Floyd looked a bit unsettled. Again, that's just my observation...for what reason, I dont know, it just appeared that way.

As Brut already mentioned, if his legs were gone, then he would've gone down on those two right hands. He DID keep the pressure on Shane, which led me to believe that he was going for the KO. I almost compared it to miserable white-collar employee going balls-deep in $2 prost...well, you get my point.

I just like to throw some things out there, and see what you guys think...you know, just to stir things up a bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 14 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #24

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2013, 09:05 AM) *
Is that you, Floyd???

Am I wrong? Rather I am Floyd or not whatever he does people bitch.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 15 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

The Mayweather that beat the snot out of Diego Corrales was the best I'd ever seen him.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 15 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #26

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 15 2013, 03:10 PM) *
The Mayweather that beat the snot out of Diego Corrales was the best I'd ever seen him.

I agree, he put on a boxing clinic and IMO he will never look that great again.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 18 2013, 10:00 AM
Post #27

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2013, 09:12 AM) *
LMAO at "jumped out of the bushes like Eddie Cain"!

I agree though, nobody even mentioned Floyd's legs, until Freddie mentioned it. Now that you mentioned the Shane fight being personal, maybe that's why I though Floyd looked a bit unsettled. Again, that's just my observation...for what reason, I dont know, it just appeared that way.

I agree. I remember watching 24/7 when Floyd called Shane a "fuck'n dummy!" I thought that was a bit (can't believe I'm saying this) out of character for him. I sensed a bit of "this is serious shit, so I'm dialed in" about him...at least more than usual.

As Brut already mentioned, if his legs were gone, then he would've gone down on those two right hands. He DID keep the pressure on Shane, which led me to believe that he was going for the KO. I almost compared it to miserable white-collar employee going balls-deep in $2 prost...well, you get my point.

I just like to throw some things out there, and see what you guys think...you know, just to stir things up a bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I agree. I remember watching 24/7 when Floyd called Shane a "fuck'n dummy!" I thought that was a bit (can't believe I'm saying this) out of character for him. I sensed a bit of "this is serious shit, so I'm dialed in" about him...at least more than usual.

Uuuuuugggghhhhhhh

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Feb 18 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #28

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Last I checked Floyd had both of his legs... when did he lose them!!! Please... The man is 36 and sits in the pocket while still maintaining the best not get hit % ever-- go away with this legs gone bullshit

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Feb 19 2013, 11:52 AM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 18 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

His legs were great in the Shane fight. Watch the fight, if your a boxer you might learn a thing or two.

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Feb 19 2013, 06:11 AM
Post #30

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

I don't buy this.

He was using his wheels in the Cotto fight, specifically rounds 9 through 12.

When we say that a fighter's "legs are gone", we're suggesting that they can't move and keep a certain pace far into a fight. That's not the case with Floyd right now.

Now, is he as fleet of foot as he was 10 years ago ? Fuck no.

But his current foot speed is still better than 95% of the fighters anywhere near his weight class.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:30 AM