Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO has got to be "sick" over this.....$80M
bnoles4life
post Sep 19 2013, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299

Normally, I detest people speaking on another man's wallet (no matter how said man throws it in our faces...), but, Forbes says May gets about $80M from the Canelo fight, bolstering his career earnings to roughly $350M. My question is, what, exactly, do you think HBO is thinking right about now? How much has Showtime raked in, w/ May getting such a hefty price tag (and still counting)? Lastly, do you think this is a sign of what's to come, as it pertains to the future of boxing (not specifically Floyd)? **By "it", I mean free agent vs. Promoter-represented**

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhause...m_medium=social
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Sep 19 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

HBO knew that the Canelo fight would be huge. There was just no getting around that. The reason they didn't want to sign Floyd to the deal Showtime did was because the other fights don't have as much appeal and Mayweather has a HUGE guarantee.

Look at the RG fight. That cost Showtime money as the event did not do well on PPV sales. We are just a few days removed from The One yet we already have more PPV information on that fight than we did the RG fight and that is because the numbers fell well below 1 million PPV buys and it probably needed 1.5 million PPV buys for it to be a success.

Now what is next for Floyd? Garcia just isn't going to be a draw and it probably needs 1.5 million buys to be considered a success and I bet it does something like 750-800k. Showtime is in trouble with that Floyd Mayweather deal and HBO was really smart not to get involved with guarantees like the ones Showtime made.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 19 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Sep 19 2013, 09:41 PM) *
Normally, I detest people speaking on another man's wallet (no matter how said man throws it in our faces...), but, Forbes says May gets about $80M from the Canelo fight, bolstering his career earnings to roughly $350M. My question is, what, exactly, do you think HBO is thinking right about now? How much has Showtime raked in, w/ May getting such a hefty price tag (and still counting)? Lastly, do you think this is a sign of what's to come, as it pertains to the future of boxing (not specifically Floyd)? **By "it", I mean free agent vs. Promoter-represented**

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhause...m_medium=social

(IMG:http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/Shadowkilla155/suicide.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 19 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 19 2013, 10:25 PM) *
HBO knew that the Canelo fight would be huge. There was just no getting around that. The reason they didn't want to sign Floyd to the deal Showtime did was because the other fights don't have as much appeal and Mayweather has a HUGE guarantee.

Look at the RG fight. That cost Showtime money as the event did not do well on PPV sales. We are just a few days removed from The One yet we already have more PPV information on that fight than we did the RG fight and that is because the numbers fell well below 1 million PPV buys and it probably needed 1.5 million PPV buys for it to be a success.

Now what is next for Floyd? Garcia just isn't going to be a draw and it probably needs 1.5 million buys to be considered a success and I bet it does something like 750-800k. Showtime is in trouble with that Floyd Mayweather deal and HBO was really smart not to get involved with guarantees like the ones Showtime made.

Man please, where are those Pacquiao/Mosley numbers? NOBODY wanted to release those numbers (or lack thereof). As for PPV sales, anything over 500 or 600 thousand, aint that bad. It's bad for a guy like Mayweather, who has these huge guarantees, and even worse for Showtime, who would come up short in a situation such as that.

How do you figure that Garcia wont be a draw, when the Guerrero fight did a little over 1M buys? Sorry man, regardless of the network, BUYS ARE BUYS, period. Whenever you can show me your source that tells you how much these fights are selling, then please let me know.

I'd much rather hear the numbers released from the network, than some senile promoter. By the way, when were the most recent Pacquiao PPV numbers released, or are we still in the delusional state of thinking that he's still cracking a million plus nowadays???

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 19 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i think so long as al haymon is involved in boxing....fighters are going to flock to his team. he's treating them right and the association with gbp and showtime is a good one. i know a lot of ppl who have gotten rid of hbo...and some who didn't have showtime who have it now. i should have invested in stock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) showtimes viewership is going up and hbo's is gonna drop. there's no way around that. say what u will about the fighters that showtime is show casing...but who knows ggg? shiming? lomenchenko? or any of the guys they're trying to push? pac's days are numbered and he never really did big numbers to begin with.

what i'm hoping for next....this whole ppv shit needs to stop. it limits viewership. good for floyd that he's getting paid...but honestly, if you're thinking long term boxing...you have to increase viewership. ppv's should only happen once or twice a year for mega fights.

as for hbo...their best bet....fire lampley...get new blood in there. smack kellerman out of that merchant impression he's trying to do. stop discriminating against black skillful boxers and showcase more than just rock 'em sock 'em robots.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 19 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

If canelo was more aggressive, he would have gotten a gift decision.

And we would have had a trilogy, gbp was banking on that.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 19 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 19 2013, 09:42 PM) *
i think so long as al haymon is involved in boxing....fighters are going to flock to his team. he's treating them right and the association with gbp and showtime is a good one. i know a lot of ppl who have gotten rid of hbo...and some who didn't have showtime who have it now. i should have invested in stock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) showtimes viewership is going up and hbo's is gonna drop. there's no way around that. say what u will about the fighters that showtime is show casing...but who knows ggg? shiming? lomenchenko? or any of the guys they're trying to push? pac's days are numbered and he never really did big numbers to begin with.

what i'm hoping for next....this whole ppv shit needs to stop. it limits viewership. good for floyd that he's getting paid...but honestly, if you're thinking long term boxing...you have to increase viewership. ppv's should only happen once or twice a year for mega fights.

as for hbo...their best bet....fire lampley...get new blood in there. smack kellerman out of that merchant impression he's trying to do. stop discriminating against black skillful boxers and showcase more than just rock 'em sock 'em robots.

U keep it real bruh

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 19 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Floyd still has another lucrative fight

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 19 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Gotta love Hotsauce and his "one-liners"!!! Some of the coolest stuff I've seen in years. Dude, you make me wanna shorten my posts. Lol

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 19 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 19 2013, 09:42 PM) *

HBO still has superior programming to the likes of Showtime as far as shows. Their boxing viewership will suffer but they still run the game as far as cable networks go

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Sep 19 2013, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 04:20 PM