IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Are Your Ideas For Cleaning Up Boxing?
Jack 1000
post Jan 21 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #31

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

With the recent controversial decisions in past fights, I would like to see judges crawl out from under their rocks to explain their questionable scorecards. Nevada does that sometimes if the the public outcry is strong enough. However, I don't know if so many decisions can always be tracked back to incompetence. If incompetence was the issue:

1.) A fighter brought in to lose, would get undeserved wins, almost as much as the marquee fighter gets an undeserved win. The second instance is stronger by leaps and bounds. When is the last time a fighter with a losing record won against a marquee promoter protected fighter?

2.) Even the most incompetent judges seem to follow a pattern:

a.) They know who the promoter is.
b.) They know the money fighter
c.) The give close rounds to the money fighter, hometown favorite, better record guy.

3.) So if there is corruption with bad scoring, do you believe it is carried out in the same and similar way each time? Since corruption is so hard to prove, say in a court of law, or even the issue where speculation in our society has a way of becoming fact. Is it just money being exchanged between the promoter and the judge? Or is it something more that is difficult to explain? Wouldn't the parties involved be afraid of getting caught?

4.) I think that there is a situation where less experienced judges may want to please the promoter But is there intimidation by going against the promoters' fighter? How much intimidation?

5.) The recent Martinez-Burgos WBO championship fight it is important to note that President Paco Varcarcel works to always employ judges with the most experience. HOWEVER, THERE IS A PROVISION IN THE UNIFIED RULES OF THE ASSOCIATION OF BOXING COMMISSION BI-LAWS THAT GIVES THE STATES THE POWER TO SELECT THEIR OWN OFFICIALS. It raises the question that the trust and competence of the commission in New York needs to be examined. They did what Texas did in the Cloud-Campillo fight, brought in judges with very limited to no world championship credentials. I can understand one lesser-qualified judge, as people have to start somewhere, but all commissions should make sure that the other two judges have the qualifications to work championship fights. Had those fights occurred in countries outside of the USA, the governing body, would have the authority to appoint more veteran officials.

6.) Or could it be that state commissions have so many aging officials, that in the they don't have enough top judges?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 21 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #32

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

i think they should make judges wear head cams for televised world title fights!!! that would solve a lot of issues.

the reason i say this is because it would give us an accurate account of what each judge is seeing and it can provide us with information on determining whether a judge is capable, corrupt or incompetent.

i was watching a fight recently...can't remember which one...but the judge facing the camera was in clear view and i noticed that she was just looking at one fighter most of the rounds. the focus should be on both fighters imo.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jan 21 2013, 02:06 PM

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 21 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #33

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 21 2013, 01:02 PM) *
i think they should make judges wear head cams for televised world title fights!!! that would solve a lot of issues.

the reason i say this is because it would give us an accurate account of what each judge is seeing and it can provide us with information on determining whether a judge is capable, corrupt or incompetent.

i was watching a fight recently...can't remember which one...but the judge facing the camera was in clear view and i noticed that she was just looking at one fighter most of the rounds. the focus should be on both fighters imo.

One good example how people saw a much different fight at home than in person was Mosley-Delahoya II. At home, scores were like 115-113 to 116-112 for Oscar. But at press row and others who attended the fight, many people had it 115-113 for Shane. All three judges went 115-113 for Mosley, BUT they got there by scoring several rounds differently.

I'm gonna try to find the round by round scores for Martinez-Burgos. (The Master Scoresheet.) If someone wants to contact FightNews, they will often get it from the commission, make a copy and put it up on the site.

Jack

+Quote Post
mikE11
post Jan 21 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #34

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,807

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jan 11 2013, 02:43 PM) *
Boxing should be on more than once a week, sometimes more than once a day. Have the scheduling like NBA.

It could be certain weight classes on certain days or something.

But i hate sometimes waiting weeks or months to watch a fight.

Fighters should be required to fight more than a certain amount of times a year.

Just make the sport organized.

There is more boxing on tv than a person (with a job) can watch. Get a dvr.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:52 AM