Dolimite
post Jan 9 2013, 09:32 PM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 9 2013, 02:30 PM) *
why them two?

Clottely simply because that is when the fight with Mayweather was suppose to happen. Instead of getting tested Olympic style he decided to fight Clottely! And he could not knock hm out even though stone feet stood directly in front of him the entire freaking fight! And if you looked at Pac's face it actually looked as if he was in a semi battle. He took a far lesser and dangerous opponent at that point Pacquaio was in the elite level of boxing...

Margs because he just got his ass handed to him by Shane Mosley and given Margarito did have a BS win over Roberto Garcia Margarito was done. And there are some others but you understand.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 9 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 12:23 PM) *
oscar didn't create his super-stardom...bob did. he has spoken publicly about paying women to scream at press conferences and weigh ins and stuff. a lot of that was orchestrated and spread like wildfire.

pac burst onto the scene when he beat barrera imo. then the trilogy with morales and the first fight with jmm really accelerated his popularity. the dlh and hatton fights made him legendary...but yeah, i agree...everything over 135 has been smoke and mirrors. in regards to stipulations...none of that info will see the light anytime soon and the general public has been duped. history is going to remember him kindly because the media pretty much painted him a golden child and continues to do so. floyd on the other hand doesn't get the same treatment from the media and i believe that's because of a few reasons. he chose to portray himself as the bad guy....it worked. he's prone to putting his foot in his mouth when he speaks publicly so he does himself no favors. his troubles with the law really sealed the deal for him. it is what it is...

Professor you honestly know your shit and do your homework because I honestly did not know that. Professor when Pac was fighting at the lower weights I was a fan hands down! Once he started to become popular and I saw what he was doing to his opponents as an advantage when fighting them I lost all interest. I think the media and history has to be honest with Pac. What happens if he loses his 3rd straight fight then what? Will the smoke and mirrors be lifted? Mayweather is at times his own worse enemy. He played and is playing the bad boy role to perfection. I think that when Mayweather is telling stories about boxing and when he was younger are great, I think if he was a little eloquent and more polished with his words and expressing himself he would be far better understood. The legal trouble I have my issues with simply Mayweather and Josie Harris happened to be hanging out together at the same strip club after he got out of prison. Go figure. However I think history will not deny Mayweather's superiority in the ring.

+Quote Post
mikE11
post Jan 9 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #23

Amateur

Member No.: 13,807

I don't think Pacquiao or Floyd have reached the level of Oscar in the US and Mexico has more people than the Phillippines.

Plus, Oscar had the female contingent.

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post Jan 10 2013, 06:25 AM
Post #24

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,480

QUOTE (mikE11 @ Jan 9 2013, 10:11 PM) *
I don't think Pacquiao or Floyd have reached the level of Oscar in the US and Mexico has more people than the Phillippines.

Plus, Oscar had the female contingent.

But it is being said that Pac is receiving love from more than just the Phillipines. Several people have said that he is popular with most Asians they know. If that includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korea that's a boatload of people. BTW Pacific Islanders exist in more places than just the Phillipines.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jan 10 2013, 09:28 AM
Post #25

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I'm a big Mayweather fan and I know a lot of PActards ....*cough* I mean Pacquiao fans...but I gotta go De La Hoya. He became Beiber-esque at one point. It got to the point where women were tuning in just to see him. He had like a Macho Camacho following without the people turned off from his lifestyle and cockiness.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jan 10 2013, 02:06 PM
Post #26

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

How much does Mayweather earn for his 24/7 idea? Is he not the one who gave the idea to HBO?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 10 2013, 02:41 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 09:38 PM) *
Professor you honestly know your shit and do your homework because I honestly did not know that. Professor when Pac was fighting at the lower weights I was a fan hands down! Once he started to become popular and I saw what he was doing to his opponents as an advantage when fighting them I lost all interest. I think the media and history has to be honest with Pac. What happens if he loses his 3rd straight fight then what? Will the smoke and mirrors be lifted? Mayweather is at times his own worse enemy. He played and is playing the bad boy role to perfection. I think that when Mayweather is telling stories about boxing and when he was younger are great, I think if he was a little eloquent and more polished with his words and expressing himself he would be far better understood. The legal trouble I have my issues with simply Mayweather and Josie Harris happened to be hanging out together at the same strip club after he got out of prison. Go figure. However I think history will not deny Mayweather's superiority in the ring.

thanks. i think a lot of the truth about pac is lost on casual fans....and they don't really care.

as for floyd...i'm a die hard fan and his personal life means absolutely nothing to me. his abilities as a fighter are what i've always been amazed by and there is no denying his superiority on that. history can paint him however they choose...but the film will tell a different story to those who understand what it is they are seeing.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 10 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 10 2013, 11:41 AM) *
thanks. i think a lot of the truth about pac is lost on casual fans....and they don't really care.

as for floyd...i'm a die hard fan and his personal life means absolutely nothing to me. his abilities as a fighter are what i've always been amazed by and there is no denying his superiority on that. history can paint him however they choose...but the film will tell a different story to those who understand what it is they are seeing.

That is interesting simply because that is what people like to highlight when it comes to Floyd. My favorite Floyd fight was Emmanuel Burton after I saw that fight I knew Mayweather was the real deal. Anyway, I notice when it comes to Pac's personal like people skip over it and only want to focus on his accomplishments they do not do the same for Mayweather. They even protected Oscar's little coke problem and being a complete man whore. Which is in his right but when you want to be Mr. Clean and you are dirty and the media covers it up but they want to highlight Mayweather as being a douche bag because of all his short comings and out the ring issues and shit on his boxing skills as well as opponents that's when I become really sour. Great post as usual professor

+Quote Post
mikE11
post Jan 10 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #29

Amateur

Member No.: 13,807

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Jan 10 2013, 05:25 AM) *
But it is being said that Pac is receiving love from more than just the Phillipines. Several people have said that he is popular with most Asians they know. If that includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korea that's a boatload of people. BTW Pacific Islanders exist in more places than just the Phillipines.

Yeah, Pacquiao might be more popular worldwide than dlh was, but I'm pretty sure he isn't in the usa.

Post-Tyson era, dlh dominated the popularity scene in the sport. I'm guessing Pacquiao controls the Philippines scene, but they were already boxing fans. (Luisito Espinosa, for example). A large portion of Oscar's fans no longer exist--females.

I'm reading 'popular' to mean 'known' and not 'liked'. Otherwise, Floyd wouldn't be in consideration.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 10 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mikE11 @ Jan 10 2013, 08:22 PM) *
Yeah, Pacquiao might be more popular worldwide than dlh was, but I'm pretty sure he isn't in the usa.

Post-Tyson era, dlh dominated the popularity scene in the sport. I'm guessing Pacquiao controls the Philippines scene, but they were already boxing fans. (Luisito Espinosa, for example). A large portion of Oscar's fans no longer exist--females.

I'm reading 'popular' to mean 'known' and not 'liked'. Otherwise, Floyd wouldn't be in consideration.

most of pacquiao's fans don't even know who luisito espinosa is. i was in S.F. a few years back and they announced him...he went totally unrecognized and got a very weak applause from the boxing crowd at the event i was at. it was really sad.

when i say popular....i guess it's a combination of known/liked.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 04:28 AM