Reply to this topicStart new topic
> He shoulda been a legend., the champs who never fulfilled their worth.y
SENTRAL
post Sep 24 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,900

I was thinking about all those boxers who were perceived to have it all and there was no doubt they would eventually go down as one of boxings greatest ever champions.  However, whether it be a lack of discipline, personal issues or self inflicted deterioration, they somehow never managed to live up to their early promise despite winning world titles.

Seeing Riddick Bowe's name mentioned on the board was the inspiration behind this post.  I honestly do feel Riddick Bowe was a class above any other heavyweight of the past 20 years and somehow his demons derailed what would surely have been an ATG career.  

The aim of the thread is to find those fighters who reached the top but never reached their true (ability wise) potential, so the criteria is they MUST have become world champion.  I expect to see Mike Tyson mentioned by a fair few......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Sep 24 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #2

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

Tito Trinidad was that for me.... smh...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 24 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

I hate to be the guy that says it but mayweather his resume is the problem. am sure I'll take some abuse from the nut huggers but whatever I don't really give a fuck

Edwin Valero could of been something great, or at least I thought, but the way he conducted himself outside the ring fucked him over I guess. nobody to blame but himself.

When I saw Hatton fight I saw Duran again at times, or maybe just the ferocity, but again his life style excessive eating and drinking, I heard he used to balloon up to 14 stone and then try and make weight, that ruined his career, people say he was a hype job blah blah blah, but he was still entertaining to watch, it seems that any fighter that comes from the UK is a hype job, people from this board hated Naseem and said he was a hype job, they hated Hatton and said he was a hype job and they hate Khan and say he's a hype job.

Naseem Hamed had the flair and could easily fill a stadium but his problem was that he became lazy during towards the end of his career, wasn't training as hard, probably thought he was untouchable until Barerra beat him. Which wouldn't of been bad and he could of still made a name for himself, if he pursued after rather than have one more fight and quit, but I think he knew after his last fight he just wasn't as hungry any more.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 24 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #4

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

Bowe could've went down as a great heavyweight but he was the definition of a problem child. Even when wasn't looking for it, trouble all ways seemed to find him. The problems with his wife, the military decision, the way he trained at times, and his weight issues between fights. Hatton also should've been a legend but his excessive party lifestyle held him back from living up to his true potential

+Quote Post
dhoward126
post Sep 24 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 24 2011, 07:03 PM) *
Bowe could've went down as a great heavyweight but he was the definition of a problem child. Even when wasn't looking for it, trouble all ways seemed to find him. The problems with his wife, the military decision, the way he trained at times, and his weight issues between fights. Hatton also should've been a legend but his excessive party lifestyle held him back from living up to his true potential

I have to agree with Riddick, clearly the biggest waste of talent considering how much upside he had. Tomasz Adamek is also a guy I'll nominate because at Cruiserweight he could've really established himself as the man there for a very long time, but he couldn't turn down the Heavyweight purses so he went for the sure thing. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Zab Judah, though I'm sure people are sick of talking about his inefficiencies, and Cory Spinks could've honest to God been great too if he wasn't a 200 pound crackhead gorilla.

+Quote Post
kingknockout
post Sep 24 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #6

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,222

Ike Quartey (Got robbed before, forgot which fight, but I know he was in the fight from the start of the bell and not taking long rests, I think it was the Oscar fight.)

Zahir Raheem (Beat a dangerous Erik Morales when Morales was walking through everybody, then just went down hill from there, I guess what they say is true, styles do make fights...and he probably just had that type of style that was too much for Erik that day).

Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy (Thought dude was going to be the next mini mike tyson, but he finally got to face someone that figured his style out and cut his boxing career short, he never was the same after that fight).

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 24 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Sep 25 2011, 07:23 AM) *
I was thinking about all those boxers who were perceived to have it all and there was no doubt they would eventually go down as one of boxings greatest ever champions.  However, whether it be a lack of discipline, personal issues or self inflicted deterioration, they somehow never managed to live up to their early promise despite winning world titles.

Seeing Riddick Bowe's name mentioned on the board was the inspiration behind this post.  I honestly do feel Riddick Bowe was a class above any other heavyweight of the past 20 years and somehow his demons derailed what would surely have been an ATG career.  

The aim of the thread is to find those fighters who reached the top but never reached their true (ability wise) potential, so the criteria is they MUST have become world champion.  I expect to see Mike Tyson mentioned by a fair few......

Yep re-watching the Riddick Bowe fight with Holyfield definitely gave me a sense of the 'could've, should've's.'

Just to refresh everyone's memory in that fight he was 6 foot 5 inches and came in weighing 235 pounds and could easily match the Klits for size. Bowe (when he wanted to) had a ramrod jab, unusually threw for a HW great hooks to the body and had a sweet uppercut, one of which just about took Holyfield's head off. The way he threw that uppercut was so fluid, like water, I haven't seen that kind of rhythm in such a big guy.

What was more impressive was he faced Holyfield at his very very best and Evander was pure truth serum at that point in his career. The fight was fought at a punishing pace and for a big man Bowe held that pace surprisingly well. More importantly he threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Holyfield and couldn't get him out of there, but when he couldn't he held his composure didn't get frustrated and did what he had to do.

I think Bowe missed a trick in not fighting Lennox Lewis after that. To me this was actually a time when Lennox was still very beatable and I think the Bowe that beat Holyfield would've done the job against the pre-Steward Lewis however the ghosts of amateurs past still obviously haunted him.

Big Daddy had the size, power and fluidity to be one of the very very best and the fighter that night in the first Holyfield fight I think would've given any HW in history a run for his money. Maybe Bowe was even a bigger waste than Tyson in some regards.

+Quote Post
dhoward126
post Sep 24 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 24 2011, 07:40 PM) *
Yep re-watching the Riddick Bowe fight with Holyfield definitely gave me a sense of the 'could've, should've's.'

Just to refresh everyone's memory in that fight he was 6 foot 5 inches and came in weighing 235 pounds and could easily match the Klits for size. Bowe (when he wanted to) had a ramrod jab, unusually threw for a HW great hooks to the body and had a sweet uppercut, one of which just about took Holyfield's head off. The way he threw that uppercut was so fluid, like water, I haven't seen that kind of rhythm in such a big guy.

What was more impressive was he faced Holyfield at his very very best and Evander was pure truth serum at that point in his career. The fight was fought at a punishing pace and for a big man Bowe held that pace surprisingly well. More importantly he threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Holyfield and couldn't get him out of there, but when he couldn't he held his composure didn't get frustrated and did what he had to do.

I think Bowe missed a trick in not fighting Lennox Lewis after that. To me this was actually a time when Lennox was still very beatable and I think the Bowe that beat Holyfield would've done the job against the pre-Steward Lewis however the ghosts of amateurs past still obviously haunted him.

Big Daddy had the size, power and fluidity to be one of the very very best and the fighter that night in the first Holyfield fight I think would've given any HW in history a run for his money. Maybe Bowe was even a bigger waste than Tyson in some regards.

Quartey also got jobbed against Vernon Forrest, another fighter who never reached his full potential due to injuries and his untimely death. Bowe would've beaten Lewis and Tyson back then and possibly could've dominated the decade had he taken better care of himself, such a shame.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 24 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

Carlos Massau!!!

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Sep 24 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

Edwin Rosario even though he's a HOF and considered a great fighter i think he could have been much greater had it not been for his partying ways.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:15 AM