IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 1st fight you watched that made you want to follow Boxing. (Added Question)
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 19 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #11

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Watching Tyson's amateur fights and his training vids made me wanted to follow boxing. Watching Sugar Ray Robinson prepare for his fights in old videos. Just watching these guys going beyond their limits to put their body in condition for these fights. The brutality of it and rawness of the old school videos forever made me a genuine fan of the sport. To know that these guys prepare their bodies in such an advanced degree to entertain us as people who want to watch it is nothing short than courageous. #boxingfan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 19 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

No specific fights, but the boxers themselves: Tyson, Joe Louis, Ali. My top three favorites. I loved the charisma of Ali, and the nostalgic appeal of Joe Louis and Ali. And I always thought Tyson was the man and was hilarious. I also remember growing up when Tyson was on top, household name in boxing.

This post has been edited by sduck: Mar 19 2012, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #13

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I really started watching boxing again back in late '99..after the HW division started to somewhat slow down. Of course I was still young, so I didn't have much control over which fights to order, and whether or not we kept HBO or not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Of course with the HW division, I remember Mike Tyson (who didn't?), Holyfield, hearing about Lennox Lewis, McNealey (pops ordered the Tyson fight:lol:), and a few others. When I really started catching HBO fights, I remember a few fighters in particular...

1. A few Dominick "Southern Disaster" Guinn (beating the hell out of this big ass African dude in particular)
2. Shane Mosley (relays of both Winky Wright fights, and replays of both Forrest fights), we actually ordered the De La Hoya rematch
3. A few RJJ fights (I remember him beating somebody with one hand), and I remember the replay of the first Tarver fight, then the "state of emergency" announcement scrolling on ESPN about him getting KO'd in the rematch).
4. For the love of God...I've NEVER forgot the first time I saw JMM/Pacquiao 1 or HBO that night! That shit uuuugly! I remember Marquez getting dropped 3 times, and
I thought he was gonna die. All I can remember was, "damn, that dude in the red never gets tired", while also thinking, "that dude in the white hung in there". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
5. For some reason, I remember the first Judah/Spinks fight. Wanna know how I remember? I remember Zab's ass got dropped, then got up and acted like nothing happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
6. I also remember Jermain Taylor's earlier bouts on HBO.
From 2006 (I remember Gatti/Baldomir and FMJ/Judah) to 2007, I followed boxing as much as I could (nasty school & work schedule), but I kept my eyes peeled after Mayweather/De La Hoya up until now.

I believe Gatti/Baldomir did it for me, along with Mayweather/De La Hoya. I say Gatti/Baldomir because of the action, and Mayweather/De La Hoya because of the hype going around about it. That fight started the summer off for me, and I was actually at a point in life where I could catch fights live and keep up with everything that was going on.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 19 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

started learning to box at age 5 from family....love participating. that was in '76....then as far as watching....duran/leonard 1 is the fight that hooked me for life. it was the first time i ever watched a fight with a big crowd in a theater on closed circuit. i loved ali...then leonard...but duran took it to new heights. then pryor, hearns, benitez, hagler, arguello and countless others also contributed to making me a lifetime die hard.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 19 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 19 2012, 02:27 PM) *
just watched that fight (Nigel Benn vs. Chris Eubank) and i'm mad that i missed it when it happened... great fight.

Cool. Boxing's fantastic. It really gets on my nerves when I see people try to claim it as their own...you know the douchebags that go online and try to question a person's dedication to the sport not knowing a thing about why that person likes boxing.
It makes me glad to see kids getting into the sport. I went to the Mayweather/Ortiz press conference last year (I missed the one in Harlem this year) and it was good to see how many young people were there. I want boxing to keep growing and the more young people that rediscover the sport, then the better.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 19 2012, 04:23 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 19 2012, 04:19 PM) *
started learning to box at age 5 from family....love participating. that was in '76

Old ass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 19 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:08 PM) *

You know what they say about glass houses and stones....

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #18

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:24 PM) *
You know what they say about glass houses and stones....

It's too late, the stone has been thrown...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 19 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 06:24 PM) *
It's too late, the stone has been thrown...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ha! I knew that old people were stubborn, but damn...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 19 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:08 PM) *

i'm like fine wine...i just keep getting better with time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 07:13 PM