IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> With UFC (MMA) now on FOX, what does that say about boxing?, What's your take?
mrchitown
post Aug 18 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

I think it is just another big, blinking sign ahead that boxing needs to inject some newer, fresher, and more unique ways to get it's product out there. Getting back on a Fox or CBS or ABC is definitely a plus in the long run for boxing. And the promoters should set-up tournament style fights to crown "undisputed" champs in each division. It's so many belts floating around boxing that you can't take the organization or the fighters seriously sometimes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Aug 18 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #12

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,369

Because of the nature of the UFC (run by White), it only pulls in one direction, which allows momentum to build.

That cant happen in boxing. Boxing has stood still during the rise of MMA and took no action to maintain competition. With Dana now coming up with fresh ideas like audience votes etc, MMA could get another shot in the arm.

UFC is young and aggresive and probably on roids.
Boxing is sitting in an armchair smelling of piss and pipesmoke talking about the good old days

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 18 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 18 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Because of the nature of the UFC (run by White), it only pulls in one direction, which allows momentum to build.

That cant happen in boxing. Boxing has stood still during the rise of MMA and took no action to maintain competition. With Dana now coming up with fresh ideas like audience votes etc, MMA could get another shot in the arm.

Boxing is sitting in an armchair smelling of piss and pipesmoke talking about the good old days

i wouldn't go that far. boxing is just a group of people trying to make as much money as possible. all they care about is site fees, PPV money or both. one guy is trying to make his organization as much money as possible and the others are trying to make themselves money. both of them do a pretty good job at achieving their goals, the boxing promoters just don't care about the growth of the sport.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Aug 18 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #14

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 19 2011, 04:25 AM) *
i wouldn't go that far. boxing is just a group of people trying to make as much money as possible. all they care about is site fees, PPV money or both. one guy is trying to make his organization as much money as possible and the others are trying to make themselves money. both of them do a pretty good job at achieving their goals, the boxing promoters just don't care about the growth of the sport.

Yeah, what im saying tho is that as long as that is happening boxing cant grow in the manner that UFC can

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 18 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 18 2011, 11:34 PM) *
Yeah, what im saying tho is that as long as that is happening boxing cant grow in the manner that UFC can

i don't think anything will change to be honest. there might be a guy that comes along that brings a lot of attention to boxing but GBP or Arum will just milk him for everything he's worth. i think we'll see some growth in boxing but it'll just go into the pocket of the PPV star and his promoter.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Aug 18 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #16

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 19 2011, 04:43 AM) *
i don't think anything will change to be honest. there might be a guy that comes along that brings a lot of attention to boxing but GBP or Arum will just milk him for everything he's worth. i think we'll see some growth in boxing but it'll just go into the pocket of the PPV star and his promoter.

I agree with you, im confident nothing will change. And as far as the whole boxing v MMA thing goes, that is a problem for boxing and makes the UFC look like the much more dynamic progressive and fan friendly sport.

This post has been edited by lloyd mayflower: Aug 18 2011, 11:26 PM

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Aug 19 2011, 01:37 AM
Post #17

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

To me it shows that the promoters have no vision.

Boxing would be so easy to save if we had more exposure for our amateur program. It builds national hype for athletes as they transition over to the pros, and get more kids exposed to the sport at an early age

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 19 2011, 01:43 AM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

Boxing has too many problems to solve and there is no quick-fix solution. You could put professional boxing on prime time tomorrow and it would still bomb, because there are too many divergent interests going on for it to work. You'd rarely, if ever, get any big name fighters to actually fight each other because they're too busy being infantile little pricks (Gayweather and Pacroid).

I mean, seriously, do you want to have Mayweather beating up another past-it bum, only to shit out the following lines:

Generic mic holder: "Great job tonight, champ. It looked like you were in complete control tonight. Can you give us your thoughts?"

Generic Gayweather: "I just want to give a shout out to my kids, Chenanay and Boo Boo, daddy loves you. And of course a shout out to my wife, the lovely Ms. Jackson. Daddy's coming home."

Generic mic holder: "Floyd, whose next?"

Generic Gayweather: "I don't know. I'ma hafta sit down with my team, you know what I'm sayin? Talk with my team, and see what's up. If it makes dollars it makes sense, know what I'm sayin?"

Generic mic holder: "Do you want Pacquiao, Floyd?"

Generic Gayweather: "It don't even matter. If he wanna take da tests... take tha damn tests! 41 have tried, 41 have failed!"

Generic mic holder: "Floyd... what are you feeling right now?"

Generic Gayweather: "Boxing needs Money May, Money May don't need boxing. Mayweather may fight again, he may not. You know, Money May gonna sit down with his family and see what's next. But I'm definitely taking the next year off."

And you get the rest. Seriously, do you think that shit will really fly on prime time? Boxing has a TON of shit it needs to get right before we can even begin to fathom taking it to prime time. Namely, a legitimate fighter's union, and a legitimate commission that can oversee the sport, instead of a mish-mash of ignorant, selfish promoters, cable networks, and ABC belt orgs.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Aug 19 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 19 2011, 02:29 AM) *

Exactly. But it is the roids in the UFC (MMA) that are going to stop the sport from ever becoming mainstream.

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Aug 19 2011, 06:37 AM) *
To me it shows that the promoters have no vision.

Boxing would be so easy to save if we had more exposure for our amateur program. It builds national hype for athletes as they transition over to the pros, and get more kids exposed to the sport at an early age

This would be a HUGE benefit for boxing. Even a reality series following the national trials and the guys into the Olympics! Unfortunately, you would need to have these guys going to the Olympics signed beforehand by a promotor for anybody to want to put the money into it.

Boxing needs two major things:

1) 1 belt, make it 'the ring'. No 'sanctioning fees', I mean come on, WTF are guys paying to hold a belt for and we need one champion per division.
2) Promotors need to work together. GBP reached out to Arum (from rehab) and Arum needs to swallow his pride. If these ego maniacs could work together, they could really make things happen. That or someone needs to back a promotional company to buy out the other, so it can be like the UFC with one major promotion who runs the show.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Aug 19 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #20

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

Be
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Let's hear everyone's thoughts. The FOX execs took a couple jabs at boxing...basically saying it's too boring and behind on the times when it comes to marketing. I think it says a lot that a sport that's perceived to be more "barbaric" than the Sweet Science by most non-fans can make it's way back to network television (for the second time mind you) relatively easy. Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

For the record, I think it's going to be very interesting to see the new LIVE format of TUF (The Ultimate Fighter), where viewers get to vote on the matchups before they happen that week.

I think this is going to double UFC marketability....

Do you know the time slots? And between what programs...

UFC has stolen the general public from boxing, this is only going to make matters worse..

What can I say, the shit is entertaining to watch!... but I still don't respect it as a SPORT....

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:45 PM