Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of Pay Per View or Boxing Stars
mrchitown
post Jul 14 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

I don't have a problem with PPV's. I do think the PPV cards and what's considers PPV worthy needs to seriously reconsidered, none of Canelo's fight this year were PPV worthy IMO but I get it, their testing the market for him and trying to gauge how big of a star he can be.

I don't have a problem shelling out x amount of dollars if the main event and the card overall is worth it. PPV brings in revenue that fighting on network tv can't pay to fighters. I'm all for missing the old days but Hagler fought on tv back in the day a lot and his purses wasn't shit. An athlete's career is short, get in get out and while your at it, get your money. I can't be mad at that, but the matchups for some of this stuff is not appealing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KSUN247
post Jul 14 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #12

Flyweight

Member No.: 14,011

I personally haven't ordered a PPV in a bit. I go out with friends to watch them. If bars don't order the fight, then I'm left to stream or wait for it to be shown the following week. Rather watch it live though.

We'll never get the good old days back, but it would be nice to see competitive matches on the majority of cards. Top Rank PPVs haven't been that good recently, while Showtime's have been better. Wonder if we'll get to see Top Rank, Dibella, Goosen-Tudor, Main Events, Mayweather, Golden Boy, etc, get together to put on mega events. Egos cause some of the unwarranted drama. Would be nice, if they could get along for a bit. Won't hold my breath on that.

I do want to see more guys built up on ESPN, FoxSports1, B.A.D, ShowBox, etc, get some love and exposure. What TR did with Rigo is a shame. Any truth that he may be on the Mayweather/Maidana 2 undercard?

A lot of casual fans want to see action packed brawls. I don't mind those, but love seeing the technical aspect of boxing too. Hit and not get hit.

Hopefully, we'll get some decent heavyweight action. The little guys have been carrying this sport for a long time now.

One of my biggest gripes is how can you call yourself a SPORTS BAR and not order major PPV events (Boxing, MMA, WWE)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wtf.gif) I guess I'll have to get over it and find other options. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Jul 14 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #13

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2014, 11:52 PM) *
I may be in the minority here, but PPVs don't really bother me all that much...I just keep wearing condoms and avoid buying engagement rings. In that case, I can buy what tha hell I wanna buy.

I do understand the gripe about PPVs, because yes, they can get a bit costly. On a normal month, my DirecTV bill is $160 (2 HD DVRs, and one regular HD box (with genie DVR), HBO/Showtime/Starz/Skinemax/The Movie Channel/Encore). So, ordering a Floyd fight ($75), puts me at $235. Any other fight ($60), puts me at $220.

At the end of the day, I just plan around PPVs. I don't feel the need to order PPVs, but thanks yall assholes and discussing fights every day of the week, I can't decline it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Now that I think about it, back in the day (90's), my dad used to complain about PPV costs, especially those Tyson fights, which were between $25-$50...and that was low, compared to what we pay nowadays.

As I've told most of you guys, when I go out to watch MMA fights at spots like Hooters, I usually leave out of there paying about$45-$60 on food and drinks...depending on who I'm there with. If me and the fellas are taking turns ordering pitchers of beer, then I guess you can see how my tab ends up being what it is. Think about it, if you're sitting in a bar for over 4 hours, then you're going to eat. In most cases, you have to get to the bar at least hour before the card starts, just to be sure that you get a table.

I can understand the gripes of a fight party too...I've made my regular guests aware of not bringing people that I don't know. Even if I "know of them", don't bring them, I don't give a fuck. I don't want anything in my house growing legs and walking away, unless it's this big 70 lb crybaby of a dog, hell...even the little dog...they can both go.

You end up spending a lot more by throwing a fight party...if you have some mooching friends. Split up the costs...you all can pay for the fight, the food, alcohol, etc. Hell, tell others to bring alcohol too...unless they're cheap bastards who like to take their stuff back, if it hasn't been eaten or drank.

For instance, I went to Tallahassee back in April on the weekend of the Pac/Bradley II card. We went to Buffalo Wild Wings late as hell...no seats, who'da thunk? I told my friend that we could watch it at his house, and I went to the ATM. The next day, on the way home, he called and said that he and his roommate would pay me back, since we all sat around and watched.

My friend that went to FL with me, shot me $50 when he got to my house for the Floyd/Maidana fight...nice gesture! At the end of the day, if you have people who have your back, the cost of a fight wont break you. Now, if its a fight that only YOU wanna see, then you're on your own. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

belee dat

they need to put fights back on network tv

+Quote Post
BigHouseLou
post Jul 16 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 14,211

i dont think boxing does a good enough job promoting there free cards, a PPV event should be two stars not Floyd vs whoever or Pac vs whoever, they rush guys up the ladder, and produce cards alot of people arent excited about, hardcore boxing fans already know whos fighting and when, and if they want to watch. a casual fan i dont think is going to spend 70 bucks to watch a fight between a star and relative nobody and im not exactly sure how many subscriptions and ppv buys are generated by these multimillion dollar press tours. i would like to see more promotion of there regular fight cards to give the lesser known fighters some exposure so when the time comes to face a ppv star there is interest already. shobox and hbo boxing have cards almost on a weekly basis and you wouldnt know unless you stumbled across it or made the decision to seek out the information.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 16 2014, 09:28 PM
Post #15

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (BigHouseLou @ Jul 16 2014, 12:37 AM) *
i dont think boxing does a good enough job promoting there free cards, a PPV event should be two stars not Floyd vs whoever or Pac vs whoever, they rush guys up the ladder, and produce cards alot of people arent excited about, hardcore boxing fans already know whos fighting and when, and if they want to watch. a casual fan i dont think is going to spend 70 bucks to watch a fight between a star and relative nobody and im not exactly sure how many subscriptions and ppv buys are generated by these multimillion dollar press tours. i would like to see more promotion of there regular fight cards to give the lesser known fighters some exposure so when the time comes to face a ppv star there is interest already. shobox and hbo boxing have cards almost on a weekly basis and you wouldnt know unless you stumbled across it or made the decision to seek out the information.

Excellent post, Lou,

There are too many fights that don't deserve to be PPV, with just one-star fighting a nobody. Or sometimes just two competitive opponents as PPV. If the match is not 70's-80's go to a closed-circuit to see quality fight, it should be on either Free TV, Standard Cable, HBO, or Showtime.

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 17 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 14 2014, 01:27 AM) *
Not good. Vain, and shallow!

Jack

Damn Jack, I was hoping for some good feedback!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It's usually the states that everybody "sleeps on" (read: overlooks), that ends up having the best women.

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 14 2014, 04:31 AM) *
should of seen it fight night. Id just got back to leeds, all suited and booted, went into town, everywhere was pure chaos, the streets filled, the bars packed out. good night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Man I wanna visit there so bad! Since we're on the subject...how are the woman over there???

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 17 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BigHouseLou @ Jul 16 2014, 01:37 AM) *

Dammit man! You hit the nail on the head!

I'll add to this though. If you think about it, they need to continue to push these PPV fights are hard as they are. Think about it, how many people actually have (and keep) HBO and/or ShowTime. It can get costly for those who have to pay extra for premium channels every month, versus the promoters bamboozling the public into spending 60-70 dollars one time.

In the past, I didn't have Showtime, but I was able to order the PPVs without shelling out the money every month, just to keep the channel. With promoters, it's like a one time deal to take your money. By the way, casual fans don't typically keep up with every fight that airs throughout the year, so buying a PPV twice a year, isn't that much of a hassle.

I agree though, promoters do need to push the free fights a bit more, though the slogan is usually, "buy PPV", not "buy HBO and Showtime, to watch this double-header".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 08:25 PM