IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO will no longer do Business with Golden Boy!?
daprofessor
post Mar 18 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

message to hbo:

if you would like to be relevant again get rid of the ass clowns....lampley and kellerman.

add big george and mike tyson to the commentary team with someone like bob poppa to tie it all together.

shoot the guy who's been talking to the commentators in the ear piece.

offer the public the option to view fights without commentary and just crowd/ring noise.

stop trying to force feed us match ups and champions.

let the chips fall where they may.

stop with the showcase bouts.

stop trying to act like you guys know it all.

try to be more like showtime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Mar 18 2013, 06:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 18 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

They have gone crazy!!! Who does Top Rank really have? Goosen and Lou do not have star studded PPV fighters other that Manny (who hasn't said shit since December) and JMM. I do not understand this move? Sergio is a big fighter but still relatively unknown to the rest of the boxing public. Chavez Jr. has maybe two years left in his daddy's lime light. I honestly do not understand this move. This is like your ex chic taking yawls kid and running away to another city and demanding that you never talk her again. I swear HBO is about to be third in the boxing world. ESPN has put on better cards. They are acting like some jealous trix. Better yet this is like your ex girl dating the dude that you hate and wants to post facebook pictures of her dude and she all over the damn place! Stupid move!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 18 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 18 2013, 06:18 PM) *
They have gone crazy!!! Who does Top Rank really have? Goosen and Lou do not have star studded PPV fighters other that Manny (who hasn't said shit since December) and JMM. I do not understand this move? Sergio is a big fighter but still relatively unknown to the rest of the boxing public. Chavez Jr. has maybe two years left in his daddy's lime light. I honestly do not understand this move. This is like your ex chic taking yawls kid and running away to another city and demanding that you never talk her again. I swear HBO is about to be third in the boxing world. ESPN has put on better cards. They are acting like some jealous trix. Better yet this is like your ex girl dating the dude that you hate and wants to post facebook pictures of her dude and she all over the damn place! Stupid move!

i have made this point time and time again....PPV IS NOT GOOD FOR BOXING!!!

the best fights usually happen between non-ppv fighters.

i.e. bradley/prodnikov...

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 18 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 18 2013, 04:21 PM) *
i have made this point time and time again....PPV IS NOT GOOD FOR BOXING!!!

the best fights usually happen between non-ppv fighters.

i.e. bradley/prodnikov...

That is how HBO makes money, big PPV. And I agree with you about PPVs not being good for boxing. It is away for promotional companies and the venues as well as the station to get paid!

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Mar 18 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #15

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

Showtime, simply put, does not have the money to absorb all the extra inventory that this causes GBP. HBO still crushes Showtime in terms of number of subscribers and that has NOTHING to do with boxing. The hardcore fan will certainly watch Showtime, but the casual fan that gets turned on to a match after watching it on HBO On-Demand will still be there for HBO....not as much for Showtime.

Showtime still won't have as many subscribers as HBO and a BUNCH of mouths to feed. This means a secondary market could get good fights like Broner, Hopkins, etc. That also means Broner, Hopkins, etc won't make as much money. Here is how it shakes out...

-GBP obviously gets hurt the most. Simply put, Showtime's budget isn't going to be able to feed all of those mouths.

-HBO is hurt as well. GBP has the deepest stable of fighters.

-Boxing fans are hurt because it limits the number of fights we will see

-The BIG winner is Showtime. HBO gets hurt and Showtime will likely get better prices on some future fights.

-Secondary guys like Hopkins and Broner get hurt. Showtime can't pay them the same as HBO would.

-Eventually GBP will come back to HBO...more on HBO's terms. It may take a few years, but HBO has enough money to put on some really good events. Ward, Martinez, Pac, JMM, Bradley, etc is a decent stable to work with. HBO essentially gets 1st crack at anyone that isn't GBP.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Mar 18 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #16

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

Although this hurts HBO upfront, I see it as an opportunity for Top Rank, Main Events, SMS, and maybe even Don King to build a stable of fighters promoted by HBO. We will have to wait and see how this all plays out

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Mar 18 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #17

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 18 2013, 12:43 PM) *
WAS HBO involved when it was reported HOPKINS WOULD NEVER AGAIN FIGHT AT MSG AFTER HE WRECKED TRINIDAD and the SRR trophy had to be re-engraved?

what happen?

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 18 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #18

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 18 2013, 06:10 PM) *
message to hbo:

if you would like to be relevant again get rid of the ass clowns....lampley and kellerman.

add big george and mike tyson to the commentary team with someone like bob poppa to tie it all together.

shoot the guy who's been talking to the commentators in the ear piece.

offer the public the option to view fights without commentary and just crowd/ring noise.

stop trying to force feed us match ups and champions.

let the chips fall where they may.

stop with the showcase bouts.

stop trying to act like you guys know it all.

try to be more like showtime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Good List!

I would prefer someone like Tim Ryan over Bob Poppa. I find Bob boring.

I would dump Punch Stat.

Love the No Commentary option! At least try this as an experiment.

Max is trying to be like Merchant, he's such a clone.

Lamply should leave HBO and take up cheerleading which he is better at than commentating! He was good fifteen years ago, now just a shrill for the HBO Contracted fighter..

Steve Weisfeld is not needed. Why is he there?

Get fights on a fight by fight basis that will produce the best action, most two-sided contests.

No more promotional monopolies;

Get Lou Dibella back in charge of your Boxing Department who ran the Boxing After Dark Show with some of the best action fights from the mid 90's to early 2000's that the sport has ever seen.

Less PPV's. Too many PPV's drive people away from the sport.

Jack

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 18 2013, 11:57 PM
Post #19

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (KOpower @ Mar 18 2013, 06:46 PM) *
Showtime, simply put, does not have the money to absorb all the extra inventory that this causes GBP. HBO still crushes Showtime in terms of number of subscribers and that has NOTHING to do with boxing. The hardcore fan will certainly watch Showtime, but the casual fan that gets turned on to a match after watching it on HBO On-Demand will still be there for HBO....not as much for Showtime.

Showtime still won't have as many subscribers as HBO and a BUNCH of mouths to feed. This means a secondary market could get good fights like Broner, Hopkins, etc. That also means Broner, Hopkins, etc won't make as much money. Here is how it shakes out...

-GBP obviously gets hurt the most. Simply put, Showtime's budget isn't going to be able to feed all of those mouths.

-HBO is hurt as well. GBP has the deepest stable of fighters.

-Boxing fans are hurt because it limits the number of fights we will see

-The BIG winner is Showtime. HBO gets hurt and Showtime will likely get better prices on some future fights.

-Secondary guys like Hopkins and Broner get hurt. Showtime can't pay them the same as HBO would.

-Eventually GBP will come back to HBO...more on HBO's terms. It may take a few years, but HBO has enough money to put on some really good events. Ward, Martinez, Pac, JMM, Bradley, etc is a decent stable to work with. HBO essentially gets 1st crack at anyone that isn't GBP.

Its about cash flow. GBP has 140 thu 154 on lock. Showtime will be fine. They hae the 2 best young stars, Mayweather, and all around better roster than HBO and TR.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 19 2013, 12:28 AM
Post #20

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

HBO just don't like the sour taste of the grapes of losing FMJr has left behind on their table, not to mention that Broner and the rest of the GBP camp will be taking their talent pool with him so they can all cash in on the Money May Lottery over at Showtime boxing.

Oscar isn't stupid, he knows that a vast talent pool is going to want to fight on the Showtime network now that Floyd has moved there. If HBO was smart they would've bidded a little higher to keep Floyd because that would mean that they'll be able to keep Broner there too (he will be the next Cashcow).

I'm glad Floyd left HBO because all they did was tear him down and honestly he was bringing them their bread and butter when all they did was spit on him at the dinner table no matter who he beat.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 04:27 AM