IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> which fight would u rather see...., since we're not getting pac/floyd...
daprofessor
post Jan 27 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 27 2012, 03:59 PM) *
He doesn't know how to cut off the ring because he's not used to a bigger fighter running from him. Let me preface my comments by saying I'm not a fan of either necessarily. I think Cotto's small sample set of success in the Pacquiao fight came when he was on his bicycle and moving around the ring; just like he did vs Magarito. However, I don't think he can sustain it for 12 rounds. I also think he's still damaged goods from the 1st fight with Magarito. He's been the superior boxer in a lot of his fights. Problem is, he can't take a punch all that well anymore and his defense isn't Mayweather good to stop him from getting hit. I don't think he exposed anything in Manny that wasn't already obvious to anyone who knows anything about boxing. Manny is a great fighter but just a pretty good boxer. That was exposed well before that fight and obviously after. I think we clearly saw the fight differently.

yeah. let's just chalk it up to we saw the fight differently.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

manny is a great fighter when his opponents are at a disadvantage ie. weight drained or recently coming off of career ending beatdowns...etc..the last fighter i recall giving pac effective lateral movement before cotto was morales in his win. cotto was severely diminished after the knockdown and was able to last several rounds before the fight was stopped. he wasn't in any real trouble when they stopped it. cotto may be slightly diminished...but he still has enough left to get the job done. if mosley was able to survive 12 with pac, and he's is zero parts counterpuncher, i think cotto can be more successful with that strategy since he can counterpunch. from what i've seen from each in their last few fights...i give cotto a strong chance at beating pac. if u'd like to make a sig bet...or some type of wager...let me know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Jan 27 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #22

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 27 2012, 02:20 PM) *
sure there is...cotto made adjustments in the first fight. they may have come a little too late...but that stoppage was really b.s. because pac had not really landed much and was just following cotto around the ring. i said back then...cotto exposed a serious flaw in pac. he doesn't know how to cut off a ring. also...u can't dismiss the fact that cotto didn't have a real trainer in that fight. the game plan, his training camp...the advice in the corner during that fight...it was all wrong. having quality experience in camp and the corner will make a huge difference. i say cotto beats pac this time around.

I agree with a lot of this post. I'm not sure if Cotto wins the rematch, but it would be much closer than the first one. At 154 it would be a tossup for me. At 147 I think Pacman gets the nod on activity.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 27 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 27 2012, 05:15 PM) *
manny is a great fighter when his opponents are at a disadvantage ie. weight drained or recently coming off of career ending beatdowns...etc..the last fighter i recall giving pac effective lateral movement before cotto was morales in his win.

I agree, and Morales did have Pacquiao in no man's land in the first fight because he was in a "boxing" situation, which is somewhat of a nightmare for him.

cotto was severely diminished after the knockdown and was able to last several rounds before the fight was stopped. he wasn't in any real trouble when they stopped it. cotto may be slightly diminished...but he still has enough left to get the job done.

from what i've seen from each in their last few fights...i give cotto a strong chance at beating pac.

Cotto just made a mistake by trying to exchange with Pac early instead of moving. Cotto has decent handspeed, but Pacquiao's hands were just too damn fast. Problem is (and this is just my opinion), when Cotto throws combinations, his stance is square, he stays there too long because he plants his feet and commits to every punch (which is good against a slower opponent).

It backfired in that fight because we all know that Pac doesn't plant his feet with all of his punches (in combinations), and only commits to the last few punches (depends on how long you stand there and get hit). That "in-and-out" foot movement that he does usually makes a guy commit to throwing a punch, but as soon as they're ready to punch, he's already headed back at you full speed with some hard ass punches...works almost every time.

Cotto just needs to get in and get out, and circle Pacquaio...works every time. I think Miguel played too much into the crowd (in regards to him being able to bully Pac), and of course, it backfired. I see him doing better than people expect, but I dont see a W coming out of it...more like a not-so-devastating loss.

if u'd like to make a sig bet...or some type of wager...let me know.

Make it happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Seek
post Jan 28 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #24

An inbred jackass...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,971

I dont think Cotto can get the victory at 147. But at 150 he is going to have an edge over Pacquiao. The rematch will be a completely different fight. Big risk for Manny if he agrees to 150. But after coming off a poor performance vs Marquez, i doubt they take a chance. Theyll probably just offer more money...

Also i dont think they want none of Bradley. Theyre too worried about the headbutts. Not a confident sounding team right now...if no Cotto i bet they take Peterson. He will bring in the same money as Bradley and is less risk. Then Marquez and Bradley will fight for a shot at Pacquiao later this year.

Props to Manny if he fights Bradley next or Cotto at 150. Those are the dangerous fights. Marquez is dangerous too but he dont want none of that right now and neither do the fans. And u gotta admit Cotto is more dangerous than Peterson.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jan 29 2012, 02:37 AM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Much rather see Mayweather/Cotto just to clear all that up.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 30 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 27 2012, 06:52 PM) *
I agree, and Morales did have Pacquiao in no man's land in the first fight because he was in a "boxing" situation, which is somewhat of a nightmare for him.

Cotto just made a mistake by trying to exchange with Pac early instead of moving. Cotto has decent handspeed, but Pacquiao's hands were just too damn fast. Problem is (and this is just my opinion), when Cotto throws combinations, his stance is square, he stays there too long because he plants his feet and commits to every punch (which is good against a slower opponent).

It backfired in that fight because we all know that Pac doesn't plant his feet with all of his punches (in combinations), and only commits to the last few punches (depends on how long you stand there and get hit). That "in-and-out" foot movement that he does usually makes a guy commit to throwing a punch, but as soon as they're ready to punch, he's already headed back at you full speed with some hard ass punches...works almost every time.

Cotto just needs to get in and get out, and circle Pacquaio...works every time. I think Miguel played too much into the crowd (in regards to him being able to bully Pac), and of course, it backfired. I see him doing better than people expect, but I dont see a W coming out of it...more like a not-so-devastating loss.

Make it happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

very good post. i agree with everything except the outcome. let's do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 30 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 28 2012, 03:30 PM) *
I dont think Cotto can get the victory at 147. But at 150 he is going to have an edge over Pacquiao. The rematch will be a completely different fight. Big risk for Manny if he agrees to 150. But after coming off a poor performance vs Marquez, i doubt they take a chance. Theyll probably just offer more money...

Also i dont think they want none of Bradley. Theyre too worried about the headbutts. Not a confident sounding team right now...if no Cotto i bet they take Peterson. He will bring in the same money as Bradley and is less risk. Then Marquez and Bradley will fight for a shot at Pacquiao later this year.

Props to Manny if he fights Bradley next or Cotto at 150. Those are the dangerous fights. Marquez is dangerous too but he dont want none of that right now and neither do the fans. And u gotta admit Cotto is more dangerous than Peterson.

totally agree. pac is running out of options. cotto is more dangerous than peterson...but peterson won't be a walk in the park.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 30 2012, 02:18 PM
Post #28

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 29 2012, 02:37 AM) *
Much rather see Mayweather/Cotto just to clear all that up.

if cotto fights pac...he wins...therefore he gets mayweather afterwards. if he fights mayweather...he loses and the pac bout is out of the picture. i'd rather see mayweather/cotto...

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 30 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #29

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 30 2012, 02:18 PM) *
if cotto fights pac...he wins...therefore he gets mayweather afterwards. if he fights mayweather...he loses and the pac bout is out of the picture. i'd rather see mayweather/cotto...

I disagree about Cotto being out of the picture for a Pac fight, if he loses to Mayweather. It's not like Pac isn't used to fighting guys who are coming off of losses (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Seriously, they will put a spin on that fight so quick by stating that Cotto lost to a top fighter.

Im sure that will be a hard pill for Arum to swallow by stating that, but if he's smart, he will use to sell the fight...it's not like they haven't used Floyd's name and old opponents to reach this point, why reinvent the wheel?

As far as a Mayweather/Cotto fight in May (if it happens), Cotto would just have "come off of one of his biggest career wins", so this is where Floyd strikes while the iron is hot. A TKO stoppage in a revenge match with Margarito...a guy that derailed Cotto's career?! Yep...sounds like a big fight waiting to happen.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jan 31 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #30

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

To say ANYBODY is out of consideration, except Mayweather, when it comes to Manny Pacquiao is to be oblivious to the last 5 years of boxing. Bob Arum has proved,no matter how bad you've looked, if your name sells, you can fight Manny. Cotto didn't look good at all against Clottey (I actually had Clottey wining that fight). Magarito got killed by Shane. Shane got killed by Floyd. Bob Arum reminds me of the GM of my poor NY Knicks, he'll pay anybody with a name, regardless of how bad they've looked lately (ex Mike Bibby). So no, losing to Mayweather does NOT exclude Cotto from anything with Top Rank.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:02 PM