Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the dog house
mgrover
post Aug 8 2012, 05:17 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Well i hear a lot of different things like fighters that hardly spar, especially uk fighters, while say the mayweather gym have some all out sessions, i mean thay resembles a few gyms ive been to as an amatuer but why do uk fighters shy away from sparring? Is it the risk of injury, i mean i always thought sparring was the best way to improve given a decent partner
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 8 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

You should ask pirog about the injury stuff he seems to get injured before he even walks towards the ring lol..

Idk maybe they are intimidated and don't want to get put up on YouTube or don't want to build up any scar tissue for future fights or something idk.. I didn't know that though, interesting thread

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 8 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Interesting. I never knew that most/all of those fighters didn't spar, air their sparring sessions, or spar sparingly. This is something that I'll have to pay more attention to...

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Aug 8 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

Hmmm I didnt know, or think that either...

Every gym needs a 'dog house' and every fighter needs to be put in there.. period

Imo, there is just no way your can properly prepare for what your body goes through in a fight... obviously sparring is the closest thing we got..

I dont get it if its true...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 8 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 8 2012, 05:17 AM) *
Well i hear a lot of different things like fighters that hardly spar, especially uk fighters, while say the mayweather gym have some all out sessions, i mean thay resembles a few gyms ive been to as an amatuer but why do uk fighters shy away from sparring? Is it the risk of injury, i mean i always thought sparring was the best way to improve given a decent partner

i don't know that to be true. i was in the uk this past january and we sparred daily. some of the sessions were pretty intense too. it doesn't need to be done daily...but it should be done. it's the only way to put everything together. it doesn't need to be all out either....but it happens. most times when guys are going all out they end up with injuries. i like a controlled atmosphere for sparring. when i was back in chicago...there is no such thing. it's why i believe a lot of the good fighters don't make it out of there. it's similar to philly that way. my philosophy...save the fight for the fight. sparring should be about learning/perfecting ur craft. u don't have to beat the shit outta ppl to accomplish that.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Aug 8 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

I remember Lennox Lewis, pre Manny Steward, used to never spar. Ricky Hatton never spared through any of his 24/7 specials. Maybe thats why their always gasing out late in fights.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Aug 8 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Its just something i heard in an interview, i think it was percy, asking if this uk light heavweight sparred a lot, because uk fighters dont

it was scott smith with tony bellow asking him

"SS: I’ve spoken with a number of British boxers past and present recently about their preparations for fights. Surprisingly a lot are not keen on sparring too much before a fight, how important is sparring for yourself and what is the main benefits you get of it?"

This post has been edited by mgrover: Aug 8 2012, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 9 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 8 2012, 05:43 PM) *
Its just something i heard in an interview, i think it was percy, asking if this uk light heavweight sparred a lot, because uk fighters dont

it was scott smith with tony bellow asking him

"SS: Iíve spoken with a number of British boxers past and present recently about their preparations for fights. Surprisingly a lot are not keen on sparring too much before a fight, how important is sparring for yourself and what is the main benefits you get of it?"

hmmm. interesting. maybe the guys we were sparring with were just doing it to oblige?

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Aug 9 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Who knows, people care too much about appearances, I mean even Floyd used to never show any recording during sparring after that Paul spadafora incident till recently

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 9 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 9 2012, 07:37 PM) *
Who knows, people care too much about appearances, I mean even Floyd used to never show any recording during sparring after that Paul spadafora incident till recently

it's more than just appearances. if i can watch a guy work for a few rounds each time he spars...i can tell u exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are...i can tell u how to beat him. i can also train and drill a fighter accordingly to give him a difficult time. the element of surprise is very valuable in boxing. if u don't know what u have in front of u, chances are it will be difficult to defeat them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:22 PM