IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO might let Stevenson walk!, WHY!!!!!!!!
Dolimite
post Mar 25 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

According to fat man Dan Rafael, HBO is debating if they should sign Adonis Stevenson to a 2 fight deal or let him walk over to Showtime. If they don't sign him then that means there will be no fight with Kovalev (spelling?), which is a fight many fans would like to see. Why is HBO being stupid, they don't want to pay anyone. I don't get how you can give Adonis the finger when his fights is what HBO creams over! What is the deal?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 25 2014, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

makes no sense whatsoever... all of a sudden cheapskates? hope it causes mass firings and the new team makes amends with GBP

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 25 2014, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 25 2014, 12:19 PM) *
According to fat man Dan Rafael, HBO is debating if they should sign Adonis Stevenson to a 2 fight deal or let him walk over to Showtime. If they don't sign him then that means there will be no fight with Kovalev (spelling?), which is a fight many fans would like to see. Why is HBO being stupid, they don't want to pay anyone. I don't get how you can give Adonis the finger when his fights is what HBO creams over! What is the deal?

HBO is hurting boxing but i can understand. Theyre cheap. They let Floyd go, Gamboa-Garcia go, and now Adonis but I can understand Their reasons.

Regardless if Adonis stays or not eventually hes going to showtime for B-hop because thats where the moneys at. If they sign Adonis to the 2 fight deal and he beats Kovalev, hes taking two titles over to showtime for a unification with B-Hop/Shumenov. That means every contender/prospect at 168/175 is moving over to showtime. I mean if you've never won a title before for the most part thats your sole purpose of fighting, idc how big you become. Its easy for floyd to say all belts do is collect dust because he has like 11 of them.

Letting Adonis go and having Kovalev as a champion still gives them leverage to make meaning full fights. Remeber they fights must appeal to their Fighters too.Why would Dawson, Ward, Pascal, Bute or any other 168/175 fight Kovalev if he doesnt have a title. Thats what they're doing with Bradley and Provodnikov - that one title still gives them leverage to make meaningful CHAMPIONSHIP fights. Thats what GBP is doing with Quillin. No fighter is fighting to be a top contender. Every up and coming fighter or new fighter in a weight class wants to be a champion. If the network cant offer a fighter the opportunity to get a belt then why fight for them?

If stevenson signs that two fight deal, continues winning and walks away. There goes Stevenson Kovalev 2 (especially if its competitive). There goes Stevenson-Ward, Stevenson-Pascal, Stevenson-Froch/Groves. Stevenson has been very vocal about how much he wants B-Hop and we all know how closely Haymon works with GBP. Ive been saying this for years now. The only way i see the cold war ending is if one network/promoter has all the titles in a weight class. If youre not at the Maywetaher/Cotto/Pacquiao level titles mean everything. And even if youre at that exposure/money level like the big name/elite fighters, if youre young like Canelo/Chavez/Broner youre looking to make history and make your mark. Titles still mean everything to most boxers.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Mar 25 2014, 11:41 AM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 25 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 25 2014, 09:27 AM) *
HBO is hurting boxing but i can understand. Theyre cheap. They let Floyd go, Gamboa-Garcia go, and now Adonis but I can understand Their reasons.

Regardless if Adonis stays or not eventually hes going to showtime for B-hop because thats where the moneys at. If they sign Adonis to the 2 fight deal and he beats Kovalev, hes taking two titles over to showtime. For a unification with B-Hop/Shumenov. That means every contender/prospect at 168/175 is moving over to showtime. I mean if youve never won a title before whats the purpose of fighting?

Letting Adonis go and having Kovalev as a champion still gives them leverage to make meaning full fights. Remeber they fights must appeal to their Fighters too.Why would Dawson, Ward, Pascal, Bute or any other 168/175 fight Kovalev if he doesnt have a title. Thats what their doing with Bradley and Provodnikov. Thats what GBP is doing with Quillin. No fighter is fighting to be a top contender. Every up and coming fighter or new fighter in a weight class wants to be a champion.

If stevenson signs that two fight deal, continues winning and walks away. There goes Stevenson Kovalev 2 (especially if its competitive). There goes Stevenson-Ward, Stevenson-Pascal, Stevenson-Froch/Groves. Stevenson has been very vocal about how much he wants B-Hop and we all know how closely Haymon works with GBP. Ive been saying this for years now. The only way i see the cold war ending is if one network/promoter has all the titles in a weight class. If youre not at the Maywetaher/Cotto/Chavez/Pacquiao level titles mean everything. And even if youre at that exposure/money level like Canelo/Broner youre looking to make history and make your mark. Titles still mean everything to most boxers.

I don't think Ward is staying with HBO, he might be a free agent. Adonis might say screw HBO and go over to Showtime, I mean the light heavyweight division is loaded so why not? HBO is only going to have Bradley, Pac and Marquez. They are a sinking ship and they are only doing it to themselves. The day of screwing over boxers are over, these dudes want to get paid and rightfully so.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 25 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #5

Bantamweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 25 2014, 12:39 PM) *
I don't think Ward is staying with HBO, he might be a free agent. Adonis might say screw HBO and go over to Showtime, I mean the light heavyweight division is loaded so why not? HBO is only going to have Bradley, Pac and Marquez. They are a sinking ship and they are only doing it to themselves. The day of screwing over boxers are over, these dudes want to get paid and rightfully so.

If Ward's a free agent he better bring his ass back to Showtime becasue showtime has done better with Ward press wise when he was in the supersix than HBO has done since Ward's HBO debut. I can also see him being a good fit as a commentator on showtime.

They are sinking ship but as long as the promoters they air have belt in a weight class, fighters/prospects like Karim Mayfield will sign to them/the promoters they air because thats every fighters ultimate goal-becoming a world champion. I was hoping Bradley would just wait his contract out and bring himself and his title over to Showtime but he let me down. Idk about Ruslan's contract but i doubt he's leaving HBO/TR ever. Now im putting my hope in Adonis that he signs the two fight deal, comes out victorious and then goes after B-Hop. Because Ward will eventually go up to 175. That would mean Ward would go to Showtime too and a pool of other fighters from 168/175. Then we'll get some great fights for our hard earned subscription money.

If youre not a free agent like Cotto bouncing back and forth between networks, the ONLY thing ending the cold war is all the major titles being with one network/promoter.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Mar 25 2014, 11:55 AM

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 25 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #6

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

fighters like Mayfield and Bradley are complete idiots, just look at the info Schaefer put out there about Timmy's rematch money... anyway, guys like Mike Jones and the entire Top Rematchnk roster get absolutely no remorse from me

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 25 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #7

Bantamweight

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 25 2014, 01:08 PM) *
fighters like Mayfield and Bradley are complete idiots, just look at the info Schaefer put out there about Timmy's rematch money... anyway, guys like Mike Jones and the entire Top Rematchnk roster get absolutely no remorse from me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9C3L7Lb1Bo

This interview killed me the most. Bradley spoke as if GBP didnt give him Devon Alexander when he was Champ at 140 or offer him Amir Khan. He ruined what couldve been a great fight for the fans. Every one says GBP/Haymon takes care of their fighters. The problems that Rigo has with hbo/TR as a lineal champ Lara doesnt with GBP/SHowtime and they have similar styles. I dont see why he tried to front and say he doesnt know how GBP does business. BRADLEY DUCKED FMJ and all the 147 fighters at GBP! Thats why he signed a contract extension!

KM on the other hand is just nuts. Call out DSG but then go sign w/Top Rank/HBO. This guy couldve had Peterson, Matthysse, DSG, Broner. But he rather pursue trilogy fights with provodnikov, rios, and alvarado.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Mar 25 2014, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 25 2014, 12:27 PM) *

Regardless if Adonis stays or not eventually hes going to showtime for B-hop because thats where the moneys at. If they sign Adonis to the 2 fight deal and he beats Kovalev, hes taking two titles over to showtime for a unification with B-Hop/Shumenov. That means every contender/prospect at 168/175 is moving over to showtime. I mean if you've never won a title before for the most part thats your sole purpose of fighting, idc how big you become. Its easy for floyd to say all belts do is collect dust because he has like 11 of them.

Letting Adonis go and having Kovalev as a champion still gives them leverage to make meaning full fights. Remeber they fights must appeal to their Fighters too.Why would Dawson, Ward, Pascal, Bute or any other 168/175 fight Kovalev if he doesnt have a title. Thats what they're doing with Bradley and Provodnikov - that one title still gives them leverage to make meaningful CHAMPIONSHIP fights. Thats what GBP is doing with Quillin. No fighter is fighting to be a top contender. Every up and coming fighter or new fighter in a weight class wants to be a champion. If the network cant offer a fighter the opportunity to get a belt then why fight for them?

If stevenson signs that two fight deal, continues winning and walks away. There goes Stevenson Kovalev 2 (especially if its competitive). There goes Stevenson-Ward, Stevenson-Pascal, Stevenson-Froch/Groves. Stevenson has been very vocal about how much he wants B-Hop and we all know how closely Haymon works with GBP. Ive been saying this for years now. The only way i see the cold war ending is if one network/promoter has all the titles in a weight class. If youre not at the Maywetaher/Cotto/Pacquiao level titles mean everything. And even if youre at that exposure/money level like the big name/elite fighters, if youre young like Canelo/Chavez/Broner youre looking to make history and make your mark. Titles still mean everything to most boxers.

I agree, if anybody wants to fight Hopkins, then they'd have to go to Showtime. The thing is, these guys from 160-175 are having issues fighting each other, some of them are on the same network as we speak. It's about money at the end of the day. How many guys have we seen have blowout performances and become champion, JUST to go on fight easy fights for big paydays?

If it's not an easy fight, it's a shopworn veteran with a little left in the tank, which I'd prefer over an easy fight. So, what if Showtime offers Adonis a solid payday to fight Bernard after their upcoming fights, but he'd have to relinquish his title, then what? I'd bet that the belt would be the first to go. Not to mention that he'd have to pay sanctioning fee for it.

You're right though, titles do mean something to guys who haven't reached the upper echelon of stardom or paydays. In this case, Adonis isn't a young dude, so I'm sure a big money fight would mean more than being champion...and to think about it, Bernard has a belt too, so that's one belt that Stevenson can go after.

Trust me, I get where you're going with the title belt talk, and yes, up and comers fight to be champion...maybe that's HBO wants. Not in a good way, might I add, but that's probably what they want. How many times have we seen fighters either ditch title belts or get stripped because they wanted bigger money fights, rather than face a mandatory?

Follow me...they'll strip the guy or he'll relinquish it, JUST for a less experienced fighter to fight an even lesser experienced guy for that vacant title. What's next? That guy wins the fight, just to fed to the network favorite for an easy title win. Let's not act like a lot of these first time title fighters are fighting hard fights like they used to back in the day, where your first title fight wasn't a walk in the park.

Those HBO fights would HAVE TO appeal to their fighters...they always will. Look at it this way...would you rather fight easy/semi-challenging fights for decent paydays, or fight one hard fight after another? Thing is, if these guys on HBO get those types of fights, the "fans" get showcase performances, the fighter gets a reasonable payday, and the network saves money...which the latter is the COMPLETE opposite of what HBO was dealing with during the Haymon/GBP era.

Again, yes, those title belts mean something to up and coming fighters, but they mean 10x as much to the network who could set them up for a title win, just to feed them to boogeyman fighters that they nuthugg and try to shove down our throats.

Belts don't mean anything to guys like Floyd, not because he has a lot of them and they "collect dust", but because those silly titles still have sanctioning fees that range upwards of a million dollars from his purse. The same goes for Manny, he could care less, but these sanctioning bodies NEED those big name fighters...big named fighters fighting for BS titles = huge sanctioning fees for the body...hence why they CREATE silly "champion of the decade" belts, and silly 24k carat gold WBC belts. lol

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2014, 12:40 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 25 2014, 12:39 PM) *

Why wouldn't he stay with HBO? The bigger question is, why did he go to HBO in the first place, after so much success with Showtime...or was it as much of a successful run as we're led to believe?

Notice...Froch, Abraham, Ward, Bika, Kessler, and a few others suddenly went over HBO after that Super 6 stuff? HBO's expanding on an international basis...we've seen the Kessler/Abraham, Geale/Barker, Froch/Groves (upcoming), Pac/Rios (in China), Shiming fights (in China), GGG being uplifted, etc. A Chavez/Froch was briefly entertained and could still happen, and all I see is money and a huge crossover.

That sounds like money to me...can't really see why Ward would jump over to Showtime, especially if he's not entertaining a big money fight with Hopkins. He could bait Sergio into a fight at 168 later this year, he could still get a Chavez fight, GGG, Kovalev, etc...so let's not jump the gun here.

It's funny how guys are making a huge deal about all of the "talent" and "stars" on Showtime, and how HBO is fading. You'd have to ask yourself, did HBO do themselves a solid by letting GBP and Haymon walk? From what I understand, it was costing them some nasty money to keep that shitshow going.

You'd also have to look at how GBP is looking internally...those past money problems are surfacing again, and could actually be a present issue. Haymon has signed a metric fuck-ton of fighters, and then there's Mayweather.

Call me crazy, but I think somebody's pockets are gonna come up short again...on the Showtime side this time. Everybody's praising Haymon for his huge moves, but I think those moves are more of a benefit for Haymon and his fighters, than it is GBP and the networks. Notice how Haymon didn't lose a cent or budge during the falling out with HBO...he just moved to Showtime and made the movement even bigger.

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Mar 25 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 25 2014, 12:08 PM) *

you must not have seen the vid i posted last week explaining all that on karims behalf

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 25 2014, 12:19 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9C3L7Lb1Bo

This interview killed me the most. Bradley spoke as if GBP didnt give him Devon Alexander when he was Champ at 140 or offer him Amir Khan. He ruined what couldve been a great fight for the fans. Every one says GBP/Haymon takes care of their fighters. The problems that Rigo has with hbo/TR as a lineal champ Lara doesnt with GBP/SHowtime and they have similar styles. I dont see why he tried to front and say he doesnt know how GBP does business. BRADLEY DUCKED FMJ and all the 147 fighters at GBP! Thats why he signed a contract extension!

KM on the other hand is just nuts. Call out DSG but then go sign w/Top Rank/HBO. This guy couldve had Peterson, Matthysse, DSG, Broner. But he rather pursue trilogy fights with provodnikov, rios, and alvarado.

same thing i told him

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 12:05 AM