> What are you reading right now?
Snoop
post Nov 4 2010, 02:16 AM
Post #21

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Warlord @ Nov 4 2010, 07:31 AM) *
Well, to be fair, there aren't many authors who are able to write from a perspective contrary to their own. So I wouldn't exactly refer to Ayn Rand as a "crafty bitch." But then again, I've never actually made it through an Ayn Rand novel before, so what do I know?

I only say that because up until that point, none of the book has anything remotely to do with economics. It's about an architect who doesn't give a fuck and how he's indifferent to the admiration of the masses. You grow to love this character and despise all the other spineless validation seekers in the book despite the fact that world in the book hates the former and loves the latter, with the exception of the characters that matter. This goes on for 578 pages and you get swept up in this story, this ideology and you're ready to pretty much swallow any ideological perspective she presents because her views on "not giving a fuck" make complete sense. Then she drops this whole dialogue about economic policy in regards to government housing and you're just like WTF? Most people wouldn't even notice it and I'm guessing THAT'S why this book has changed the economic perspective of so many people, as some posters mentioned earlier. That's why I'm calling her a crafty bitch. It's done so seamlessly.

If you guys want to read a good novel, I would recommend most of James Clavell's stuff. For those of you who don't know, Clavell was captured by the Japanese during World War II and sent to Changi, one of the worst prison camps in the world at that time.

After the war Clavell returned home a broken man, unemployed, spending most of his time at home on the couch in a hyper-depressed stupor. His wife finally threatened him with divorce if he didn't get up and do something with himself.

Clavell decided to write the novel King Rat, a thinly-veiled autobiographical account of his time in Changi Prison camp. This was actually the second novel I read by Clavell. And it is a novel that stayed with me for days after I finished it.

Clavell's other classic is Shogun, a novel that focuses on a shipwrecked crews experiences in Japan in 1600, most notably those of the ship's pilot, John Blackthorne. The novel is amazing, in that Clavell was able to write so beautifully and humanely of a nation that had imprisoned him just years earlier. Good stuff. These are 2 novels that I always buy as gifts for friends and family who've never read Clavell. And I've never heard from anyone yet that didn't fall in love with these books after reading them.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out next.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Nov 4 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #22

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 4 2010, 02:16 AM) *
I only say that because up until that point, none of the book has anything remotely to do with economics. It's about an architect who doesn't give a fuck and how he's indifferent to the admiration of the masses. You grow to love this character and despise all the other spineless validation seekers in the book despite the fact that world in the book hates the former and loves the latter, with the exception of the characters that matter. This goes on for 578 pages and you get swept up in this story, this ideology and you're ready to pretty much swallow any ideological perspective she presents because her views on "not giving a fuck" make complete sense. Then she drops this whole dialogue about economic policy in regards to government housing and you're just like WTF? Most people wouldn't even notice it and I'm guessing THAT'S why this book has changed the economic perspective of so many people, as some posters mentioned earlier. That's why I'm calling her a crafty bitch. It's done so seamlessly.

Gotcha. Like I said, I never got through one of her books. Tried to get through Atlas Shrugged once, and, no fault of her own, I got about 100 pages in and decided to veer off in another direction.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out next.

If you don't like it I'll paypal you the money you lost, lol. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Nov 4 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #23

Junior Middleweight

Notes from Underground is another EPIC piece of fiction. No one does the basements of humanity the way Fyodor Dostoyevsky did.

Poe once said that if a man cold open up his soul, lay it bear on a table, without trying to justify it or himself in any way, that only then would you have the perfect author and the perfect novel. In that way, Dostoyevsky has come the closest of any man to equaling that metaphor.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Nov 4 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #24

Heavyweight

QUOTE (Warlord @ Nov 4 2010, 07:29 AM) *
Gotcha. Like I said, I never got through one of her books. Tried to get through Atlas Shrugged once, and, no fault of her own, I got about 100 pages in and decided to veer off in another direction.

Atlas Shrugged was described to me as "the book about how the world is or at least how it should be." That's how swept up people get in Ayn Rand. It's pretty nuts.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Nov 4 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #25

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

Sin Bin by John Elias. Former professional footballer who was also a career criminal/enforcer. What is interesting is how he would be out doing crime all night & then would turn up & play elite level football.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Nov 4 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #26

Heavyweight

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 4 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Sin Bin by John Elias. Former professional footballer who was also a career criminal/enforcer. What is interesting is how he would be out doing crime all night & then would turn up & play elite level football.

Kinda sounds like the life of Paul Briggs. His book "Heart Soul Fire - The Life of Paul Briggs" is a solid read. Not the most well written, but entertaining as hell. That dude is mad crazy if half that stuff is true.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Nov 5 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #27

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 5 2010, 03:13 PM) *
Kinda sounds like the life of Paul Briggs. His book "Heart Soul Fire - The Life of Paul Briggs" is a solid read. Not the most well written, but entertaining as hell. That dude is mad crazy if half that stuff is true.

Briggs is a legit hard man. That is what makes me laugh when some boxers surround themselves with rappers & talk a lot of smack but the reality is that they manufacture being hard. The real deal hard men don't need to brag & posture because they know exactly what they are capable of.

Some people might see Tszyu as a nice guy but he is hard as nails like a lot of the former Soviet fighters who know poverty of a kind that certain cats from the "street" will never know. Like in real life the true hard men don't need to talk it up as they know they can back it up. Insecure fighters who secretly doubt their ability are the big talkers by & large. Just look at so called gangsta fighters like Judah as a prime example. All mouth & no trousers.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Nov 5 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #28

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 5 2010, 01:16 AM) *
Briggs is a legit hard man. That is what makes me laugh when some boxers surround themselves with rappers & talk a lot of smack but the reality is that they manufacture being hard. The real deal hard men don't need to brag & posture because they know exactly what they are capable of.

Some people might see Tszyu as a nice guy but he is hard as nails like a lot of the former Soviet fighters who know poverty of a kind that certain cats from the "street" will never know. Like in real life the true hard men don't need to talk it up as they know they can back it up. Insecure fighters who secretly doubt their ability are the big talkers by & large. Just look at so called gangsta fighters like Judah as a prime example. All mouth & no trousers.

Zab Judah, so hood he can't be understood!

Don't remember who said that, but it was on these boards awhile back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Nov 5 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,304

The Narcissism Epidemic by Jean Twenge and W. Keith Campbell, PHd.

Really clues you in to the MAJOR F'N issues in American Culture today and their root causes.

The Forward and Intro alone will open your eyes.

I suggest anybody read it.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Nov 5 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #30

Heavyweight

QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Nov 5 2010, 08:11 PM) *
The Narcissism Epidemic by Jean Twenge and W. Keith Campbell, PHd.

Really clues you in to the MAJOR F'N issues in American Culture today and their root causes.

The Forward and Intro alone will open your eyes.

I suggest anybody read it.

Now that shit sounds interesting.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 03:58 AM