IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Teddy Atlas Over-Rated For His Knowledge of Boxing? (Topics Merged)
Jack 1000
post Jan 8 2013, 01:22 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Will Teddy go Ape-Shit again? In the Williams-Molina fight, if Molina gets a homecourt decision? Do you think Williams will have to score a KO to win against Molina? It's in New Mexico, and I don't think that venue is gonna do justice to Williams should it go to the cards.

Jack

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/dannie-wil...833#more-159833
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 8 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

i don't think this one is going to the cards. teddy can sit this one out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 8 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Heard he went on a rant last week. Someone needs to interview these judges after bad scores, put them on the Fucking spot.

+Quote Post
mikE11
post Jan 8 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Amateur

Member No.: 13,807

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 8 2013, 01:29 PM) *
Heard he went on a rant last week. Someone needs to interview these judges after bad scores, put them on the Fucking spot.

Teddy sure as hell isn't smart enough to be that guy.

For starters, to do it correctly and fairly, you would need (among other things):

1. cameras from each judge's viewpoint;
2. other judges' scores from that view point; and
3. a focus on individual rounds and not final scorecards.

In fact, it is quite possible that the worst scorecard on any given night will have the 'right' guy winning.

It's probably easier to teach physics to a donkey than get this through to Teddy, but hey, it's for the viewers.

This post has been edited by mikE11: Jan 8 2013, 02:45 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 8 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mikE11 @ Jan 8 2013, 03:44 PM) *
Teddy sure as hell isn't smart enough to be that guy.

For starters, to do it correctly and fairly, you would need (among other things):

1. cameras from each judge's viewpoint;
2. other judges' scores from that view point; and
3. a focus on individual rounds and not final scorecards.

In fact, it is quite possible that the worst scorecard on any given night will have the 'right' guy winning.

It's probably easier to teach physics to a donkey than get this through to Teddy, but hey, it's for the viewers.

u know...i totally agree. i was saying the same thing during the olympics when he was ranting and raving about the bad decisions and the corruption of aiba. it's clear to me that he was sooo far removed from amateur boxing that he wasn't educated enough to speak on it.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 8 2013, 05:10 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Molina will more than likely find a way outta this one as well. The whole "not taking a knee when you're hurt", just blows me. Who knows though, Molina may actually come in there and outwork Williams. As for the judging, as someone already mentioned, I dont think we'll need them. After one of these guys see the little birdies, I'll be more interested to see the cards afterwards.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Jan 9 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #7

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

the only robbery will be us fans if this fight makes it to the cards lol. both bangers someone is getting dusted.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 11 2013, 07:15 AM
Post #8

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Is Teddy Atlas All That? Consider the Following:

1.) Even by his own admission, he won't give rounds with multiple knockdowns less than 10-8 scores. Yet goes on a rampage about bad scoring. If Atlas was as good as he thinks he is, he should know that conventional wisdom says you take a point off of the loser fighter with one knockdown a 10-8, the second, a 10-7, the third a 10-6. The losing fighter would really have to earn ground for rounds not to be scored in this way.

2.) He never pronounces Hoyfield's name correctly. It's like Holy is in religion. Know it all Teddy, pronounces it like the girl's name "Holly."

3.) He wants a national commission overseen by the federal government? Jeepers fuck! As if those clowns in Washington don't have enough problems and bullshit without trying to regulate boxing. This is so wrong. And what Atlas can't get through his skull is that boxing is an international sport, and cannot be regulated like other sports.

4.) Seriously what has he really done for boxing? I will give credit that he stands up for what he believes and is not a pom-pom shaker. His beliefs are genuine. But the sun won't rise and set for him controlling boxing like he wants. Teddy may be a firm believer, but he is also an arrogant, egotistical dictator, who lets his opinions loud his judgment. Why hold a shrine to this guy, because he once carried Tyson's spit bucket?

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 11 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I've heard a lot of judges don't give less than 10-7 rounds.

But yea hes arrogant and he let's his judgement get clouded but I like him. He's been a student of the game for a long time and he isn't afraid let people know what he thinks, unlike almost every other boxing analyst/announcer their is.

I don't agree with his national governed commissions, but I would like to see a powerhouse body in the US that governs boxing sort of like how the NBA is the holy grail of pro basketball or how the NFL is the major market for football. That way fighters can worry less about state commissions or crooked judges and promoters ect. The way that the ufc has structured itself is pretty well in that way other than there is only one head honcho in Dana who can't be overridden, but I think they have a better system in.
Of course that would be difficult because Dana owns the ufc which is basically his company and you would have to create a league/system that is appealing enough.to draw most of the major athletes but this might just be wishful thinking on my part. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 11 2013, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 11 2013, 08:54 AM) *
I've heard a lot of judges don't give less than 10-7 rounds.

But yea hes arrogant and he let's his judgement get clouded but I like him. He's been a student of the game for a long time and he isn't afraid let people know what he thinks, unlike almost every other boxing analyst/announcer their is.

I don't agree with his national governed commissions, but I would like to see a powerhouse body in the US that governs boxing sort of like how the NBA is the holy grail of pro basketball or how the NFL is the major market for football. That way fighters can worry less about state commissions or crooked judges and promoters ect. The way that the ufc has structured itself is pretty well in that way other than there is only one head honcho in Dana who can't be overridden, but I think they have a better system in.
Of course that would be difficult because Dana owns the ufc which is basically his company and you would have to create a league/system that is appealing enough.to draw most of the major athletes but this might just be wishful thinking on my part. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

unfortunately, what he thinks isn't always in line with reality. i like him to because he educates the fans for the most part...but he needs to stop with his holier than thou..."this is what's wrong with boxing" rants.

a monopoly for boxing will not work. dana white and the ufc's model doesn't work for boxing. the ufc is tiny in comparison to boxing so what it is able to do with its very limited easily recycle-able talent is not possible in boxing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 06:12 AM