Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Boxing Scene
mitukczuk
post Mar 24 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

It seems that the latest Broner topic kinda stopped the flow of new threads coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Let's change it....

Do you guys follow the European Boxing Scene ? Do you think there is enough pressure and promoter power to get the guys from Europe to the US to get their names out there? If not, why not?

If take for instance the new European WBO MW champ Lukas Konecny (who himself fought for the LMW world title twice) and take a look at his resume it makes me wonder. If this guy was a world champ, resume-wise he would be NOTHING, the only guy with KIND OF A NAME whom he fought was Dzinziruk. PLUS he has never fought a guy from the US.

When he fought for the WBO title I didnt see any threads, topics or articles about either of the guys fighting..and it was a WORLD TITLE fight. (He fought Zaurbek Baysangurov)

Although I hate Konecny (hes dumb...and I mean proper dumb!! And I am not impressed by his boxing too) who is coming out of my home town, I don't get why he is NEVER mentioned in world title fight talks. His resume sucks (Although it stands at 48/4/23KO), but in Europe one can say he is "someone". Where do you think is the problem? Not only in his case but in case of other EU fighters who have won european championships but never got the chance to take it to the next level. Lack of motivation? Not enough money? No fans? So many questions!!

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Mar 24 2013, 02:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 24 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

I was typing a lengthy response to your question, but have to run.

Did you watch Abraham/Stieglitz? 168 is a pretty global division (although no African, or Latin contenders). American, British, German and Canadian guys are all in the mix.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 24 2013, 02:43 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 24 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Meh the European boxing scene is filled with a bunch of pretenders to the throne, there are some competitors, like the Klits a few from the UK but a lot of them have padded out records and have fought nobodies for a WBO title generally of no significance and like to boast there the champion, the best etc etc. I sometimes wonder how many fighters with a title can honestly look in the mirror and say to themselves am the best in my division. If there not I wonder why they don't want to be, maybe its greed, maybe its fear of losing

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Mar 24 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 24 2013, 04:10 PM) *
Meh the European boxing scene is filled with a bunch of pretenders to the throne, there are some competitors, like the Klits a few from the UK but a lot of them have padded out records and have fought nobodies for a WBO title generally of no significance and like to boast there the champion, the best etc etc. I sometimes wonder how many fighters with a title can honestly look in the mirror and say to themselves am the best in my division. If there not I wonder why they don't want to be, maybe its greed, maybe its fear of losing

My point exactly!! Thank you!

When Konecny won the interim WBO world title...he claimed to be a full fledged champion and he made the news as such and the less boxing-educated people and fans were eating his words as if they were candy. I had no chance explaining that he is not the champ yet, that WBO is the least credible/worthy/significant organization out there, that he has not fought anyone worth mentioning and that his boxing is terribly limited.

I understand when people look at Konecny's 48 wins and say he has fought only bums. But on the other hand..who is to blame? Given that boxing is predominantely money driven, could it be that he would not fill the arenas in the US due to lack of fans? If I am not mistaken he is promoted by some Germans to be able to get some good fights (Czech promoters couldnt get even a squirrel to fight him) so is the blame on their side?

I don't want this topic to be about Konecny though, let him be an example please. I can't stand the guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Same thing can be applied to the European "prospects"...they have almost no chance to get to the US. Only few have been able to do it recently and I can't even name them.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Mar 24 2013, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 24 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Boxers are whores fighting for whoever pays them the most. The majority are anyway, it's rare you find someone like Brandon Rios or Alvarado who will get in there with anyone and mix it up. People can say shit about Rios having nobody else to fight, but it's fights like this that keep boxing relevant whether people like it or not. The top guys want to cash out as soon as they get to the top, Khan, , Bradley are all examples. There's guys at the top but there not a draw Martinez, Ward, Trout. Fuck it all

+Quote Post
Thebruntje
post Mar 25 2013, 05:58 AM
Post #6

Amateur

Member No.: 13,529

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 24 2013, 09:59 PM) *
My point exactly!! Thank you!

When Konecny won the interim WBO world title...he claimed to be a full fledged champion and he made the news as such and the less boxing-educated people and fans were eating his words as if they were candy. I had no chance explaining that he is not the champ yet, that WBO is the least credible/worthy/significant organization out there, that he has not fought anyone worth mentioning and that his boxing is terribly limited.

I understand when people look at Konecny's 48 wins and say he has fought only bums. But on the other hand..who is to blame? Given that boxing is predominantely money driven, could it be that he would not fill the arenas in the US due to lack of fans? If I am not mistaken he is promoted by some Germans to be able to get some good fights (Czech promoters couldnt get even a squirrel to fight him) so is the blame on their side?

I don't want this topic to be about Konecny though, let him be an example please. I can't stand the guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Same thing can be applied to the European "prospects"...they have almost no chance to get to the US. Only few have been able to do it recently and I can't even name them.

I live in Europe , and as a hardcore boxing fan i can say Europe is an horrible place to be! The biggest problem here is the fact that most people are not " boxing educated", sports like soccer or Cycling are way more popular, and the few people that follow boxing are far from hardcore fans! The reason why most european prospects almost have no chance to get to the US is simply because they're not on the same level! In europe ( with exception of England ) they will all teach you how to box the same way: hands up, go forward, land as many punches as you can.... Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying there aren't a few good trainers in europe, but in general we lack a lot of basic fundamentals! In the country i live ( Belgium) there was a guy named Ouali who tried to achieve something in the US, he even had the chance to train with Roger Mayweather, but the difference in skill between him and others was too big, he lost one or two fights and they sent him back Europe, now he is here again fighting journeyman! European fighters have little to no defense, some try to fight like mexicans, but unfortunately for them they don't have a " mexican chin" . The only fighter able to leave European competition and compete at the highest level in the US is probably Sergio Martinez! This shows how special the guy is!

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 25 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 24 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Boxers are whores fighting for whoever pays them the most. The majority are anyway, it's rare you find someone like Brandon Rios or Alvarado who will get in there with anyone and mix it up. People can say shit about Rios having nobody else to fight, but it's fights like this that keep boxing relevant whether people like it or not. The top guys want to cash out as soon as they get to the top, Khan, , Bradley are all examples. There's guys at the top but there not a draw Martinez, Ward, Trout. Fuck it all

Bradley did not look like the cashing out type the other weekend. But I get your point

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 25 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 25 2013, 03:08 PM) *
Bradley did not look like the cashing out type the other weekend. But I get your point

He did against Khan didn't he? He went and fought Pac instead.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

The overall international fight scene excites me, but I just wish that the fighters' promoters/managers do a better job with serving their fighters some fresh American competition. Usually, the Americans that they fight, are either on their way out of the door, or they've been defeated numerous times.

The experience is good for the international fighter (due to competition that the American fighter has faced), but I'd still prefer them fight more able-bodied guys. Speaking of international fights, when is the next one? I missed the recent Abraham fight.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 25 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 25 2013, 01:04 PM) *
He did against Khan didn't he? He went and fought Pac instead.

Isn't there video footage of Bradley calling out Khan to his face? Even before he signed with top rank. Khan isnt known for dodging and ducking but he completely strayed away from the Alexander Bradley hype train at 140 and I don't think it was on accident.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 12:04 AM