> floyd taking shots at ward!?, wtf?
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 13 2013, 04:37 PM) *
Always gotta be a student to the game, Same frequency when it comes to Mayweather, probably Broner too... If i never saw Mayweather vs Marquez, idk if i would even be boxing.. But about Ward, he should just take it as positive criticism, he knows hes above it. But Mayweather aint lying, and i think most of the problem has to do with Ward's Activity as of recently. Every fight he gets alittle bit more popular but then u dont see him fight again for another year, he doesnt ride his own momentum, thats where he suffered career wise. If he keeps up the inactivity, Ward's legacy will stay exactly like him. Great, quiet, and Humble...With Ward being a big boy, everyone too big for Mayweather i think would get beat by Ward. I can't think of anyone right now that could beat him, he's sleeping on himself. I didn't know about him until i saw Froch fight. After he Decimated Dawson, I'll never question him again.

i've been watching him since the amateurs. he used to be a poor man's roy jones when he first turned pro... until he and virgil decided to forego the hbo contract to fly under the radar. that was the best move he made career wise. it enabled them to pick and choose the opponents they needed to help him grow as a fighter. he added to what he knows along the way...and has carved himself into one of the best. ward seems to be handling himself like a grown man is supposed to. he could have easily attacked floyd...or criticized him or any of that...but he took the high road. i'm not surprised by it because it speaks to his character. i have no criticisms of ward coming off that grueling tournament. inactivity happens. it comes with the territory especially when injuries and things occur. his stretch during that period to me stands alone at this point. it reminded me of floyds stretch back in '98 or sergio martinez' stretch more recently. none of his opponents were slouches and he won convincingly in every single bout.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 13 2013, 04:51 PM) *
You know here's the problem with the world; they want everyone to be this humble/lovable person when it comes to boxing but is that guy gonna really be that way when he's whuppin up on somebody's head? Obviously not, so I can kinda dig what Floyd was saying even though I don't like how he said it but that is what makes the world we live in unique>>>when we can be ourselves and not try to be what everyone else wants or think we should be.

Imagine if all of us were the same, how boring would life be? Floyd and his antics nobody cares for but for the press/media to go bonkers when he says something they don't like about one of their beloved/humble/likable people then everybody runs and gets their panties all in a bunch over it (by the way, I'm not directing any of this at you).

At the end of the day, it is what it is; should it matter that Floyd said it? No, what if Freddie Roach had said it, would it be worldwide news, would anyone really care and would they chose to Demonize him for it???

There are far more important issues than Floyd bashing on the humble and lovable character Shoe Shine Boy (Andre Ward)!! LOL, honestly there is!!

i don't think anyone expects floyd to be humble/lovable person. it's not in his character. does he want to be loved? absolutely. it's why he cried at that press conference...and why he hates on pac so much.

i guess it's like floyd says...ppl have to stay in their lanes. he is who he is...ward is who he is...we all watch them do what they do. whatever they say...bottom line, we all tune in to see what they do in the ring. it can be fun to speculate on this, that and the other here on the board. we all have our opinions...we all come from different walks of life. doesn't make me right and you wrong or vice versa...hence the 'different strokes...'

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 13 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #23

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 05:00 PM) *
i don't think anyone expects floyd to be humble/lovable person. it's not in his character. does he want to be loved? absolutely. it's why he cried at that press conference...and why he hates on pac so much.

i guess it's like floyd says...ppl have to stay in their lanes. he is who he is...ward is who he is...we all watch them do what they do. whatever they say...bottom line, we all tune in to see what they do in the ring. it can be fun to speculate on this, that and the other here on the board. we all have our opinions...we all come from different walks of life. doesn't make me right and you wrong or vice versa...hence the 'different strokes...'

I'd never in a million years say that someone expects Floyd to be that way but the truth of the matter is that people prefer a quite/humble person in boxing (though I'm not sure why), can you imagine if Ali had never uttered a word, would he be the same Ali today by keeping his mouth shut??

Sure Floyd wants to be loved, everybody does deep down inside but he chose this formula for his success and now he has to taste his own medicine. Still and all; I don't believe it is warranted for the media to demonize him regardless of how much of a razor's edge he walks his talk about whoever.

I'm waiting for the next boxer or Trainer to come out and say something negative/trash talk another fighter or Trainer and see if it matters or if it only matters when it is Mayweather.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 13 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #24

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 13 2013, 12:05 PM) *
Well let's just deal with what he's stated for now: He did have the truth on his side regardless of his tasteless way of saying it but the problem is that ppl don't like him anyway so even if he said it in a nicer fashion yall still would have a problem with it because of the Hate you harbor in your hearts for the man. (not necessarily directed at anyone here but in the general public)

Yall speak of him dissin someone but yall are more hypocritical and no better than him because yall talking more ish about him than he is about Andre.....atleast he's spitting the truth.

Do I like it anymore than you what he stated or how? No, do I condone it? No, but it is all true.

Ward isn't a household name he did some exposure when he fought Dawson but a lot of people do not know who Dawson was. I think what Floyd said was on point but he isn't articulate in speech and I think that hurts him. If it were someone else who said that Floyd said it would be applauded. Paulie talked so much shit about Broner, HBO, and Thurman people were geeked up about that. But people love Paulie. I do think Ward handle it correctly and I honestly hope Ward and Floyd do have that talk. It would be terrible for two top fighters to be arguing over hurt feelings and misunderstanding.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 12:41 PM) *
different strokes for different folks. there is truth to what floyd was saying....but did it need to be said?

if you're paid...does it need to be shouted from the mountain tops, do you need to be flashy?

if you're a gangster....do u need to act hard?

if you're better than someone else at anything do you need to constantly remind everybody?

i guess if you're insecure, you'll sing your own praises....or go fishing for compliments. i get that sometimes ppl need to be reminded but floyd is at a point in his career that he shouldn't have to say shit. when he does...he leaves himself open to interpretation and criticism. he likes the attention....and he isn't stupid. a lot of what he says is to stir up conversation and to get ppl mentioning his name. like he said...love him or hate him....we're all gonna watch. i enjoy seeing him do his thing. there are times when i enjoy the side show shit...i.e. him cursing larry merchant....and there are times when i cringe...him cursing his pops. when he fights....i watch, learn and take notes. all that other shit is meaningless to me. i don't watch him because he's controversial...or a fool...or a genius at marketing himself or any of that. i watch him because he is a genius in the ring.

I think Floyd is just fed up and pissed that no matter what he does or says he will be punished for it. What he said about Ward wasn't wrong but like always it is how he says it. He was on point with what he said about Andre, Orphan Annie and religion and sports. I just think he is trying to to win hearts and minds but he has no idea how. No one wants to be the asshole all the time.
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 13 2013, 01:34 PM) *
+1

But why is he seemingly the only one who gets demonized for Trash Talking when you guys who constantly are popping off at the gums and can't bust a grape in Welch's backyard? People like PM talks trash a mile a minute but can't even put a hole in a donut, people like Freddie Roach who was never much a fighter can spew venom (99% untrue) and no one will say anything or try to demonize him.

If we were to make a list of all the Trash Talkers ever to be in this sport then I can guarantee that Floyd wouldn't even rate/rank being up there with the best of them.

Because his name is Floyd Mayweather and people hate him just cause. That simple, honestly Floyd isn't really a good shit talker, he is just rude and harsh. He told Mosley he was a dumb ass because he said he doesn't fight for money. told De la Hoya to shut up because he already beat his ass and he insulted a lot of other boxers, but that is him. You are right he isn't in my top five of shit talkers, not even close. I wonder what he will say on Jim Rome's show... I hate that guy such a bitch!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 05:23 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 13 2013, 06:11 PM) *
I'd never in a million years say that someone expects Floyd to be that way but the truth of the matter is that people prefer a quite/humble person in boxing (though I'm not sure why), can you imagine if Ali had never uttered a word, would he be the same Ali today by keeping his mouth shut??

Sure Floyd wants to be loved, everybody does deep down inside but he chose this formula for his success and now he has to taste his own medicine. Still and all; I don't believe it is warranted for the media to demonize him regardless of how much of a razor's edge he walks his talk about whoever.

I'm waiting for the next boxer or Trainer to come out and say something negative/trash talk another fighter or Trainer and see if it matters or if it only matters when it is Mayweather.

ali was zero parts humble and zero parts quiet. he spoke at a time when someone needed to. he did it with class, wit/intelligence and charisma. what floyd is doing is nothing like what ali did.

i don't see the media demonizing floyd for what he said about ward.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 13 2013, 06:19 PM) *
Ward isn't a household name he did some exposure when he fought Dawson but a lot of people do not know who Dawson was. I think what Floyd said was on point but he isn't articulate in speech and I think that hurts him. If it were someone else who said that Floyd said it would be applauded. Paulie talked so much shit about Broner, HBO, and Thurman people were geeked up about that. But people love Paulie. I do think Ward handle it correctly and I honestly hope Ward and Floyd do have that talk. It would be terrible for two top fighters to be arguing over hurt feelings and misunderstanding.

I think Floyd is just fed up and pissed that no matter what he does or says he will be punished for it. What he said about Ward wasn't wrong but like always it is how he says it. He was on point with what he said about Andre, Orphan Annie and religion and sports. I just think he is trying to to win hearts and minds but he has no idea how. No one wants to be the asshole all the time.

Because his name is Floyd Mayweather and people hate him just cause. That simple, honestly Floyd isn't really a good shit talker, he is just rude and harsh. He told Mosley he was a dumb ass because he said he doesn't fight for money. told De la Hoya to shut up because he already beat his ass and he insulted a lot of other boxers, but that is him. You are right he isn't in my top five of shit talkers, not even close. I wonder what he will say on Jim Rome's show... I hate that guy such a bitch!

true. you're on to something with this.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 13 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 13 2013, 08:34 PM) *
+1

But why is he seemingly the only one who gets demonized for Trash Talking when you guys who constantly are popping off at the gums and can't bust a grape in Welch's backyard? People like PM talks trash a mile a minute but can't even put a hole in a donut, people like Freddie Roach who was never much a fighter can spew venom (99% untrue) and no one will say anything or try to demonize him.

If we were to make a list of all the Trash Talkers ever to be in this sport then I can guarantee that Floyd wouldn't even rate/rank being up there with the best of them.

look at this board and the general hate towards Freddie Roach and then re-evaluate your statement

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Mar 13 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #28

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

Nothing wrong with stating your opinion. Floyd didn't really say anything that should cause even the slightest turmoil. He didn't even call out Andre or disrespected him to the extent that Ward should feel obligated to respond to it in the way he did "Let's talk about it like men". The truth is..."he doesn't put asses to seats"...He sells, but with his potential and talent, he could be selling much more. And don't get me wrong...god I love Andre!!! But I agree with the opinion that this is talked about only because Floyd was the one saying stuff. Also, had it been Ward who started this I highly doubt that Floyd would respond to that. Double standards.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Mar 13 2013, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 13 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Of course ward is gonna be on guerreros side. They spend a lot of time in the bay area together, don't see whay the big deal is. And of course mayweather is not gonna agree with him

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 13 2013, 06:32 PM) *
look at this board and the general hate towards Freddie Roach and then re-evaluate your statement

brutal and me come from a pro-manny/pro-freddie board that had extreme hate for floyd so i'm sure that's what he's referring to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) it was ridiculous over there. they could do no wrong and it was to the point where if u said anything against them u were attacked vigorously, edited and in some cases banned. i seriously believe they were on the toprank pay roll.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:39 AM