IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chael Sonnen interview, Best shit-talker in MMA? I think so.
Warlord
post Aug 1 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #1

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

http://paullazenby.com/fightPage.php

This shit is hilarious. Right up there with the Nick Diaz interview where he talked about fighting Joe Riggs in the hospital after the fight, etc... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

PL: You were recently in Vancouver attending UFC 115, and also spent some time here during your tenure with bodogFIGHT. What are your impressions of Vancouver?

CS: I know that it's north of Los Angeles and south of Anchorage. Seriously, Vancouver is great. Between the food and the people, I can't think of a better place to spend a weekend. By "food" I mean "crepes", and by "people" I mean "Asian women".

PL: You've been a player on the international MMA scene for some time now, but you recently jumped to the front of the middleweight pack. One reason for that is the unprecedented display of aggression you put on against Nate Marquardt at UFC 109, which was a departure from the more methodical, controlling style that you used in previous fights. Was there a reason for the increase in intensity?

CS: I haven't "jumped" to the front of the middleweights, I clawed and crawled there over the bodies of the rest of those guys who are also clawing and crawling, like a savage, wounded animal. And as for the intensity, I've held back on every opponent I've ever faced.

PL: Lately, you've been a human quote machine, trash-talking the champion in interviews that would put most pro wrestlers to shame. Was it a conscious decision to emphasize the verbal game, or have you been doing this all along and people just weren't paying attention?

CS: My interview style now is the same that it's always been, I just didn't have an outlet before. I've always been in this for myself, and I have never liked the competition. I make no apologies for either. If you stick around long enough, people pay attention to you and to what you say. Then after you say what's on your mind, they start demanding that you say MORE things to fill the spaces in their minds/pages/computers where THEY used to have to think. So they ask for more. As a journalist, do you look inside yourself, and at your subject, and do you challenge yourself to find an angle, an idea, a concept that is interesting...and then research it, refine it, edit [it]...or do you just call Chael? Hmmm...what did YOU do, you lazy bastard? But I'm always happy to do my job, which apparently means doing YOURS, too. What worries me is that when I destroy Anderson, and I have to do even MORE interviews with more journalists, I [might] become a boring, self-referential blowhard like Bono or some other smirking 'celebrity' preaching about global warming or the oppression of Tibet or save the Narwhals or whatever, y'know?

PL: Um...okay...moving on to Silva...he has been destroying some of the best fighters in the world and making it look easy. What do you feel you bring to the Octagon that he hasn't had to deal with before?

CS: He has? He beat a math teacher, a one-legged Canadian, and a few guys who weren't good enough to hold their spots in the company. Who's he beat that's still on the roster? Anderson's flaw is no secret. It's in the bible: "Pride cometh before a fall; and a haughty spirit doth come before destruction." After the fight, Anderson will thank me for doing the Lord's work by destroying that flamboyant, showboating, reactive person inside of him. Remember my previous answer? Anderson's no different than Bono. He's aware of, and a prisoner of, everybody's expectations; so he prances and dances, and does his little jigs, like he used to do his Michael Jackson moondance replete with sparkly jacket and party-favour-quality fedora. He knows who he is. So do I. I have come to beat him, but also, perhaps more importantly, to save him from the gilded cage that everyone's expectations, and his reactions to them, have put him in. The grim, stark reality of losing a bloodbath will re-baptize him, make him a better man, truer to himself and his skills than the silly, ass-shaking fool he's morphed into, because his weak personality created that ass-shaking fool to satisfy everyone but himself. Years from now, when he and I are both retired, he will thank me. In perfect English.

PL: Are you undergoing any specifically-tailored training for the Silva fight, or is it business as usual?

CS: Nothing different, same strategy. I'm like good, old, strong booze. You KNOW what's in the bottle. You KNOW what it does. Handle it if you can. Or else order a sissy drink and go watch "Sex and the City" reruns with your fruity friends in the other room.

PL: While your victory over Marquardt was clear-cut, you appeared to be exhausted by the end of the third round. This has led some to doubt your ability to last the duration in a five-round title fight. Your response?

CS: I expend my energy when and how conditions dictate.

PL: While many fighters openly admit to trash-talking even when they've got nothing against their opponent, you appear to feel legitimate acrimony toward Silva. What is it about him that rubs you the wrong way?

CS: I'm not into [fake trash talk]. That's fraud, in my opinion. It's a huge slap in the face when two boxers meet up and we all pay to see it, then after the $49.95 snoozefest we all have to hear how they didn't mean it and it was "hype". Hype is fraud. I never said anything I didn't mean or anything I would take back. Anderson is a thug. He talks about "respect". Listen, "respect" is what gang-bangers use as an excuse for terrorizing a community. That's not me, and it's not welcome in MY division.

PL: Recently, footage of Silva training with cinematic action hero Steven Seagal has surfaced on the internet. Your thoughts on that?

CS: Smart. Anderson is going to need a job after I get him fired on August 7th. He should cozy up to anyone he thinks can get him paid. He'd make a great double for track star Carl Lewis. They're both the best at what they do, and both sponsored by nobody for the same reason. Seriously, though...STEVEN SEAGAL?!!! JESUS. Well, I've got my OWN celebrity action star to work with...the great MEL GIBSON! On Mondays we deny the Holocaust. On Tuesdays we drink, then we deny the Holocaust. Wednesdays we call our respective girlfriends and bellow insane, drunken threats into the phone. Thursdays we do charity work, visit children's hospitals, etc. Fridays off (except for social drinking and Holocaust-denying cocktail chatter). Saturday it's "racy-racy" time through the Hollywood hills in our matching Bugatti Veyrons. And Sunday is church (of course). Top THAT celebrity training regimen, Anderson! I bet you and Chubby aren't getting bombed more than twice a week! But at least you get to hear him play his guitar, which he does SO well...kinda.

PL: Silva has stated that he's also training with Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion "King" Mo Lawal, who's known for being an extremely talented wrestler. With your skill set also being based in wrestling, how well do you think Mo will be able to prepare Silva for you?

CS: Mo is my friend, has been for years [and he] hasn't touched Anderson Silva. Wouldn't bother me if he did...but he hasn't. Why the scuttling around to Mo, and Seagal, and God knows who else? Why the desperate, unending search for validation from others? WHAT'S MISSING, Anderson? You're the BEST in the WORLD. Did Sinatra go and take singing lessons from Tony Bennett (King Mo) or even more ludicrously, Sonny Bono (Steven Seagal)? NO. What are you searching for? Seriously, guy...stop looking for gurus. And treat [your manager] Ed Soares with more respect. Stop being a misbehaving, recalcitrant child, looking for every and any new toy. Be a...MAN. That's what you need, is people to make you a MAN. And apparently your friends, managers and training partners can not or will not do it. But I will.

PL: Silva has been quoted as saying that when the fight is over, he wants a kiss from you. Your response?

CS: He said that? Wow...I guess he'd make a better double for Carl Lewis than I thought.

PL: Final question, obviously you expect to become the new UFC middleweight champion on August 7th, but in a best-case scenario, how does this fight play out?

CS: Best case? Anderson accepts my offer and withdraws. If he leaves the UFC, issues the fans an apology, and erects a statue in my likeness that he worships daily, then I'll forget the whole thing. Otherwise...we are going to have a fight.

PL: Thanks for your time, Chael, and good luck on August 7th.

CS: Whatever.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pcraw
post Aug 1 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #2

The Talent

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,158

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 1 2010, 04:41 AM) *
http://paullazenby.com/fightPage.php

This shit is hilarious. Right up there with the Nick Diaz interview where he talked about fighting Joe Riggs in the hospital after the fight, etc... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Lol, gotta give him mad props for selling the hell out of this fight!

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Aug 1 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

Pretty funny stuff! How much of a shot do you give Sonnen guys? I watched his fight with Marq, I was impressed. Anderson is going to have to try and do something in this fight tho, no secret that Dana White is getting pissed off with his performances, and rightly so

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Aug 1 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #4

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

PL: You were recently in Vancouver attending UFC 115, and also spent some time here during your tenure with bodogFIGHT. What are your impressions of Vancouver?

CS: I know that it's north of Los Angeles and south of Anchorage. Seriously, Vancouver is great. Between the food and the people, I can't think of a better place to spend a weekend. By "food" I mean "crepes", and by "people" I mean "Asian women".

PL: You've been a player on the international MMA scene for some time now, but you recently jumped to the front of the middleweight pack. One reason for that is the unprecedented display of aggression you put on against Nate Marquardt at UFC 109, which was a departure from the more methodical, controlling style that you used in previous fights. Was there a reason for the increase in intensity?

CS: I haven't "jumped" to the front of the middleweights, I clawed and crawled there over the bodies of the rest of those guys who are also clawing and crawling, like a savage, wounded animal. And as for the intensity, I've held back on every opponent I've ever faced.

PL: Lately, you've been a human quote machine, trash-talking the champion in interviews that would put most pro wrestlers to shame. Was it a conscious decision to emphasize the verbal game, or have you been doing this all along and people just weren't paying attention?

CS: My interview style now is the same that it's always been, I just didn't have an outlet before. I've always been in this for myself, and I have never liked the competition. I make no apologies for either. If you stick around long enough, people pay attention to you and to what you say. Then after you say what's on your mind, they start demanding that you say MORE things to fill the spaces in their minds/pages/computers where THEY used to have to think. So they ask for more. As a journalist, do you look inside yourself, and at your subject, and do you challenge yourself to find an angle, an idea, a concept that is interesting...and then research it, refine it, edit [it]...or do you just call Chael? Hmmm...what did YOU do, you lazy bastard? But I'm always happy to do my job, which apparently means doing YOURS, too. What worries me is that when I destroy Anderson, and I have to do even MORE interviews with more journalists, I [might] become a boring, self-referential blowhard like Bono or some other smirking 'celebrity' preaching about global warming or the oppression of Tibet or save the Narwhals or whatever, y'know?

PL: Um...okay...moving on to Silva...he has been destroying some of the best fighters in the world and making it look easy. What do you feel you bring to the Octagon that he hasn't had to deal with before?

CS: He has? He beat a math teacher, a one-legged Canadian, and a few guys who weren't good enough to hold their spots in the company. Who's he beat that's still on the roster? Anderson's flaw is no secret. It's in the bible: "Pride cometh before a fall; and a haughty spirit doth come before destruction." After the fight, Anderson will thank me for doing the Lord's work by destroying that flamboyant, showboating, reactive person inside of him. Remember my previous answer? Anderson's no different than Bono. He's aware of, and a prisoner of, everybody's expectations; so he prances and dances, and does his little jigs, like he used to do his Michael Jackson moondance replete with sparkly jacket and party-favour-quality fedora. He knows who he is. So do I. I have come to beat him, but also, perhaps more importantly, to save him from the gilded cage that everyone's expectations, and his reactions to them, have put him in. The grim, stark reality of losing a bloodbath will re-baptize him, make him a better man, truer to himself and his skills than the silly, ass-shaking fool he's morphed into, because his weak personality created that ass-shaking fool to satisfy everyone but himself. Years from now, when he and I are both retired, he will thank me. In perfect English.

PL: Are you undergoing any specifically-tailored training for the Silva fight, or is it business as usual?

CS: Nothing different, same strategy. I'm like good, old, strong booze. You KNOW what's in the bottle. You KNOW what it does. Handle it if you can. Or else order a sissy drink and go watch "Sex and the City" reruns with your fruity friends in the other room.

PL: While your victory over Marquardt was clear-cut, you appeared to be exhausted by the end of the third round. This has led some to doubt your ability to last the duration in a five-round title fight. Your response?

CS: I expend my energy when and how conditions dictate.

PL: While many fighters openly admit to trash-talking even when they've got nothing against their opponent, you appear to feel legitimate acrimony toward Silva. What is it about him that rubs you the wrong way?

CS: I'm not into [fake trash talk]. That's fraud, in my opinion. It's a huge slap in the face when two boxers meet up and we all pay to see it, then after the $49.95 snoozefest we all have to hear how they didn't mean it and it was "hype". Hype is fraud. I never said anything I didn't mean or anything I would take back. Anderson is a thug. He talks about "respect". Listen, "respect" is what gang-bangers use as an excuse for terrorizing a community. That's not me, and it's not welcome in MY division.

PL: Recently, footage of Silva training with cinematic action hero Steven Seagal has surfaced on the internet. Your thoughts on that?

CS: Smart. Anderson is going to need a job after I get him fired on August 7th. He should cozy up to anyone he thinks can get him paid. He'd make a great double for track star Carl Lewis. They're both the best at what they do, and both sponsored by nobody for the same reason. Seriously, though...STEVEN SEAGAL?!!! JESUS. Well, I've got my OWN celebrity action star to work with...the great MEL GIBSON! On Mondays we deny the Holocaust. On Tuesdays we drink, then we deny the Holocaust. Wednesdays we call our respective girlfriends and bellow insane, drunken threats into the phone. Thursdays we do charity work, visit children's hospitals, etc. Fridays off (except for social drinking and Holocaust-denying cocktail chatter). Saturday it's "racy-racy" time through the Hollywood hills in our matching Bugatti Veyrons. And Sunday is church (of course). Top THAT celebrity training regimen, Anderson! I bet you and Chubby aren't getting bombed more than twice a week! But at least you get to hear him play his guitar, which he does SO well...kinda.

PL: Silva has stated that he's also training with Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion "King" Mo Lawal, who's known for being an extremely talented wrestler. With your skill set also being based in wrestling, how well do you think Mo will be able to prepare Silva for you?

CS: Mo is my friend, has been for years [and he] hasn't touched Anderson Silva. Wouldn't bother me if he did...but he hasn't. Why the scuttling around to Mo, and Seagal, and God knows who else? Why the desperate, unending search for validation from others? WHAT'S MISSING, Anderson? You're the BEST in the WORLD. Did Sinatra go and take singing lessons from Tony Bennett (King Mo) or even more ludicrously, Sonny Bono (Steven Seagal)? NO. What are you searching for? Seriously, guy...stop looking for gurus. And treat [your manager] Ed Soares with more respect. Stop being a misbehaving, recalcitrant child, looking for every and any new toy. Be a...MAN. That's what you need, is people to make you a MAN. And apparently your friends, managers and training partners can not or will not do it. But I will.

PL: Silva has been quoted as saying that when the fight is over, he wants a kiss from you. Your response?

CS: He said that? Wow...I guess he'd make a better double for Carl Lewis than I thought.

PL: Final question, obviously you expect to become the new UFC middleweight champion on August 7th, but in a best-case scenario, how does this fight play out?

CS: Best case? Anderson accepts my offer and withdraws. If he leaves the UFC, issues the fans an apology, and erects a statue in my likeness that he worships daily, then I'll forget the whole thing. Otherwise...we are going to have a fight.

and the hits keep comin'....LMAO.

Sonnen is one of my faves...dude is a character and can back it up...

I got him over Silva, Lloyd....only about 60% sure though...

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 1 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #5

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

I give him about as much of a shot as Shane Mosley had against Mayweather.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 1 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 1 2010, 04:15 PM) *
I got him over Silva, Lloyd....only about 60% sure though...

Actually, as I've stated in previous topics, I too am going with Sonnen in this one. No reason why specifically, I just have a gut feeling. The same gut-feeling I had with Lewis/Rahman, Jones/Tarver II, and Fedor/Werdum. Sometimes crazy shit just happens for no reason, and maybe due to my own inherit madness I have some kind of window into that shit or something, lol.

(Of course my gut isn't always right, either. My gut told me Vargas over Gay La Hoya too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

Seriously though, no matter what Anderson Silva does, ever, I'll never get visions of him getting OWNED, and then triangled by fucking Daiju Takase. And then, how the fuck do you proceed to get yourself caught in a fucking Flying Scissor Heel Hook by Ryo Chonan? Who the fuck ever even HEARD of a Flying Scissor Heel Hook before that?

I may catch shit for this, but Anderson Silva is a mentally weak fighter. He can get caught up in the antics of opponents, and then get outworked because of it. He sucked in Japan for just that reason. Japanese fighters are notorious for coming up with crazy off-the-wall shit on the fly. They have no fear. And that's why Anderson was never anything more than the 3rd best at Chute Boxe when they were in Pride.

Finally, technically Silva is a supremely gifted striker. But he can be taken down and worked. Dan Henderson did it in the 1st round of their fight, and had a good shot at pulling the victory off if he hadn't of gassed in the process. (Dan's always sucked at middleweight, and always has cardio problems there. He belongs at 205, and performs better against larger opponents anyway.)

I think Sonnen has the style to put Silva down and grind him out over the long haul. The only question is cardio. Can he do it for 5 rounds? We'll see.

+Quote Post
pcraw
post Aug 1 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #7

The Talent

Member No.: 6,158

I personally think this will be Anderson Silva/Forrest Griffin 2!

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 2 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 2 2010, 12:07 AM) *
I personally think this will be Anderson Silva/Forrest Griffin 2!

Hehe, there's always that possibility. But I sincerely hope after all the shit Sonnen has been talking that this won't be the case.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 3 2010, 02:51 AM
Post #9

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

I damn near pissed myself laughing after I read that. This dude can sell the hell out of a fight. I like this cat and he's made me very excited for this shit.

But this took the cake...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I swear both boxing and MMA needs for characters like this.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Aug 7 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #10

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Hmmmm.....I think I might be more excited about MMA than Boxing tonight...lol

and yeah, Warlord...this is a pretty much a gut call for me too...along the lines of why I picked Bowles over Torres...

that Silva is due for a loss, and Sonnen is a good enough fighter to get the job done if the champ is off...

I also have a feeling Nelson's gonna beat Dos Santos...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 06:35 AM