IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO:10PM(ET),9PM(CT),8PM(PT)-Alexander/Kotelnik, SPOILERS-15 Minutes Later (No New Threads or Duplicate Topics)
JD
post Aug 9 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #41

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 9 2010, 09:58 PM) *
...and then gets ko'd by Maidana, Ortiz, and possibly Kotelnik. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

I know you like Khan. And you know I like Maidana... so I'm being a bit serious but really just trying to bust your balls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

He already shut Kotelnik out though.

I think Khan - Maidana would be interesting, but I lean toward Khan...and I would take him over Alexander too. The Bradley fight would be interesting, but again, I lean toward Khan in that one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 9 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #42

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 9 2010, 09:58 PM) *
...and then gets ko'd by Maidana, Ortiz, and possibly Kotelnik. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

I know you like Khan. And you know I like Maidana... so I'm being a bit serious but really just trying to bust your balls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ironically, Maidana has the best chance out of them all IMO. Only because he can just close his eyes and swing for the fences. My money would be on Khan KOing at some point though. Look, I hate to say this because I think Ariza is the biggest cheat in the sport right now but Khan is a fucking Animal.

And for the record... Khan gives Floyd a tougher fight than Pacquiao... LOL, Yeah I said it.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Aug 9 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #43

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 9 2010, 09:22 PM) *
Yes... very true.

I also dont have a problem with the close fight going to the champ in this fight. Alexander can go on and make a compelling match from here. I'm not sure Kotelnik could. Its important in this case.

And what's also important is that it might put us a step closer to Alexander-Bradley, a fight that probably would not have ment as much if Kotilnik had won.

Jack

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 9 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #44

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

The UD with close scoring is a double-edged sword. On one hand Alexander didn't live up to the expectations of many, on the other hand his poor performance will have the rest of the division more eager to fight him. I'd much rather see Alexander/Bradley or Alexander/Khan than Alexander getting the KO or TKO over Kotelnik.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 9 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #45

Guests

Also, when we have a fight between a champion against an underdog he is supposed to beat. Sub-consciously I think people often side with the underdog in a close fight, it's like people feel that an underdog doesn't have to quite as much, or if a champion under achieves and makes a fight close that shouldn't, that the champion probably doesn't deserve it for disappointing. While if it were between just two guys at the same level, the decision probably wouldn't be talked about as much and would just consider it a close fight.
I thought Kotelnik did more and I am just not talking about this fight specifically, though 'robbery' gets thrown around quite easily and I think people sub-consciously punish a fighter for under performing. I notice it quite a bit when a champion gets a close decision, it's often translated to 'robbery'.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Aug 10 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #46

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 9 2010, 02:56 PM) *
I don't think anyone said he had the best resume at 140lb.

I personally feel that he's the best fighter in the weight class. I'm 80% sure he beats Alexander on the Jab alone. I think he out boxes Bradley as well.

After seeing him get his chin cracked, IMO I just can not see him withstanding an attack from Bradley without getting stopped at some point. Bradley has shown major toughness after being decked and getting back up, where Khan folded under pressure. But it's cool if you still think he is the best 140 pounder.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 10 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #47

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 9 2010, 11:48 PM) *
Also, when we have a fight between a champion against an underdog he is supposed to beat. Sub-consciously I think people often side with the underdog in a close fight, it's like people feel that an underdog doesn't have to quite as much, or if a champion under achieves and makes a fight close that shouldn't, that the champion probably doesn't deserve it for disappointing. While if it were between just two guys at the same level, the decision probably wouldn't be talked about as much and would just consider it a close fight.
I thought Kotelnik did more and I am just not talking about this fight specifically, though 'robbery' gets thrown around quite easily and I think people sub-consciously punish a fighter for under performing. I notice it quite a bit when a champion gets a close decision, it's often translated to 'robbery'.

Agreed. Look Devon had a bad night but pulled through a win. It happens. Let's see how he does in the next fight before writing him off. I learned that the hard way. After watching Holyfield fight Bert CooperI thought he had no chance against Tyson.

+Quote Post
Keith
post Aug 10 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #48

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,273

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 9 2010, 10:24 PM) *
He already shut Kotelnik out though.

Shhhhhh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 9 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Ironically, Maidana has the best chance out of them all IMO. Only because he can just close his eyes and swing for the fences.

Maidana does more then just swing for the fences. He reminds me of the prime welterweight Mayorga but more fundamentally sound, more accurate with his punches, and better conditioning.

... and I see a Maidana Khan fight going down like Mayorga Forrest I.

This post has been edited by Keith: Aug 10 2010, 08:03 AM

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Aug 10 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #49

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

You could see as early as the first round Alexander was about to be in for a tougher than expected fight. To his credit he stayed active and worked his ass off in there, and he never lost his composure with the cut and all. There's something to be said for that.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and say that for whatever reason he just had an off night. Home crowd jitters, an undisclosed injury, a tough style match-up, something like that. If he looks average next time out we have a problem. But for now I'll still ride with him over Bradley or anyone else at 140.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Aug 10 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #50

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 9 2010, 10:48 PM) *

Co-sign.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:44 AM