Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Joe Cortez is a joke
niggsy
post Dec 9 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,524

I watched Ricky Hatton fight tonight and although he was outclassed by a very good boxer, the referee, Joe Cortez, was pathetic, he never gave the boxers chance to fight on the inside, he penalised hatton for a punch that never was and he constantly allowed mayweather to turn, bend over and use his elbows. I'm looking forward to a rematch in the UK with, hopefully, a neutral referee. Hatton did very well by stepping up a weight to fight mayweather and Im sure I speak for the whole UK by saying we're very proud of his achievements. Joe Cortez should now retire and take a very long hard look at himself!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
BigG
post Dec 9 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #2

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Hatton belongs at 140. He can beat everyone there...except for Paulie.

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 9 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,253

Joe Cortez was SO SO SO over his head tonight.

+Quote Post
niggsy
post Dec 9 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #4

Amateur

I don't know how you can say that hatton lost a point deservedly, as mayweather bent over and the punch never even connected, so by making that decision forced hatton out of his gameplan. Mayweather said he would love to fight in the UK and a rematch must be on the cards once Ricky gets more experience at this weight. I'm sure the WBC could have picked a referee with a spine as they would if the fight was in the UK, but as it was in Vegas they chose a big name who's had his day!!

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Dec 9 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #5

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

Joe did the best he could do in there, he had ALOT to deal with. I thought he was very unbiased in there, there was alot of fouling on both fighters. Hey Niggsy, by chance have you ever watched any of the fights in Manchester when Ricky fought? I am curious on your take of the refs quality of officiating in all his fights. You will truly see pathetic BIASED refs.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #6

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

I thought Cortez did a fine job tonight. He let them do work on the inside... I don't know what you're talking about when you say he didn't. He would give them a solid 5 seconds after locking up their arms and doing nothing before he'd break it. It wasn't like one of those situations where 2 fighters get close and there's an immediate break.

Oh, and the point deduction was 100% justified. Who cares if the punch didn't land perfectly clean? It was a partially landed illegal blow. What if a fighter tries to kick his opponent in the face, but it only barely touches or even misses? Is there to be no deduction because the foul didn't land when it was clearly intended to? Get real.

+Quote Post
niggsy
post Dec 9 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #7

Amateur

Of course I have, I've followed Hattons career from the start. I just think Cortez could have waited a bit longer before wading in to break and as for the deduction, this was the cause of the stoppage. Even though Hatton was beaten we're still very proud of him and he will always be a great fighter, and I'm sure he'll be back.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Dec 9 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]369382[/snapback]
Oh, and the point deduction was 100% justified. Who cares if the punch didn't land perfectly clean? It was a partially landed illegal blow. What if a fighter tries to kick his opponent in the face, but it only barely touches or even misses? Is there to be no deduction because the foul didn't land when it was clearly intended to? Get real.

Excellent point.

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Dec 9 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]369382[/snapback]
I thought Cortez did a fine job tonight. He let them do work on the inside... I don't know what you're talking about when you say he didn't. He would give them a solid 5 seconds after locking up their arms and doing nothing before he'd break it. It wasn't like one of those situations where 2 fighters get close and there's an immediate break.

This is what I remember happened. I will check again though.

Floyd blatantly turned his back and ducked away, Hatton went to punch but stopped.

IMO, Floyd should have a point deducted. He turned his back and ducked off.

I thought Joe Cortez was too quick to jump in and break the fitght up. He let Floyd get away with a lot and was pretty quick to jump on Hatton.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Dec 9 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #10

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 9 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]369426[/snapback]
This is what I remember happened. I will check again though.

Floyd blatantly turned his back and ducked away, Hatton went to punch but stopped.
IMO, Floyd should have a point deducted. He turned his back and ducked off.
I thought Joe Cortez was too quick to jump in and break the fitght up. He let Floyd get away with a lot and was pretty quick to jump on Hatton.

When I watched the replay, it was clear that Hatton pushed Floyd down towards the ropes and took a swing at the back of his head but missed. I agree with Brutal. True the punch didn't land but the intention was definitely there.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:28 AM