> Joe Cortez is a joke
ROLL DEEP
post Dec 9 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE(snoopnick @ Dec 9 2007, 06:05 AM) [snapback]369428[/snapback]
When I watched the replay, it was clear that Hatton pushed Floyd down towards the ropes and took a swing at the back of his head but missed. I agree with Brutal. True the punch didn't land but the intention was definitely there.

Didn't remember it as being a push. I remember Floyd ducking under and away from a punch, then Ricky turned to punch him as Floyd moved away with his back facing Hatton.

Like I said though, I'll watch it again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Dec 9 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #12

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 9 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]369433[/snapback]
Didn't remember it as being a push. I remember Floyd ducking under and away from a punch, then Ricky turned to punch him as Floyd moved away with his back facing Hatton.

Like I said though, I'll watch it again.

I'll do the same.

+Quote Post
Don Flamenco
post Dec 9 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #13

Bantamweight

Member No.: 2,709

QUOTE(niggsy @ Dec 9 2007, 02:17 AM) [snapback]369371[/snapback]
I don't know how you can say that hatton lost a point deservedly, as mayweather bent over and the punch never even connected, so by making that decision forced hatton out of his gameplan. Mayweather said he would love to fight in the UK and a rematch must be on the cards once Ricky gets more experience at this weight. I'm sure the WBC could have picked a referee with a spine as they would if the fight was in the UK, but as it was in Vegas they chose a big name who's had his day!!

Just cause something doesn't connect doesn't mean you shouldn't take the point away. If the guy threw a full blown karate kick and missed, would you have liked the ref to say, "I will take a point away if you connect the next time"? Even before the replay the punch looked to occur after floyd was obviously through the ropes. You can't just say you can't take a point cause the punch didn't connect - the intent was there.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Dec 9 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2007, 03:27 AM) [snapback]369382[/snapback]
I thought Cortez did a fine job tonight.

Oh, and the point deduction was 100% justified.

Not that the fact that you had big money riding on Floyd has anything to do with your opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
WolfishPromistah
post Dec 9 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 1,305

"Didn't remember it as being a push."

Well, I can tell you now. I watched the fight twice last night (the real one and the recorded version) and, from what I saw, there was a push -- with some contact on the back of Floyd's head -- that Ricky was rightfully called on. He fought hard though, letting people see him under that Castillo-like style that was supposed to finally defeat Floyd, from a stronger guy in Hatton. And of course Floyd did his business, to again display his adaptability.

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 9 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #16

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

I did not think Cortez did all that great of a job.

I thought that if you are going to deduct points, you should be even handed...Hatton's punch could have warranted a point deduction, but so could the elbows Floyd used on the inside.

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 9 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,253

What if a fighter tries to kick his opponent in the face, but it only barely touches or even misses? Is there to be no deduction because the foul didn't land when it was clearly intended to? Get real.

Dumbest fucking analogy I've read in a while. Something I would have expected from Hawkins.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Dec 9 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

I wan't too happy with Cortez in the first rounds, he would stop the clinches right away. Interesting reversal where it was Mayweather who was insitigating the clinches.

By the way, to me, Cortez will always be known for being played by Bernard Hopkins.

+Quote Post
Boxingjunkie
post Dec 9 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #19

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 9 2007, 06:50 AM) [snapback]369426[/snapback]
This is what I remember happened. I will check again though.

Floyd blatantly turned his back and ducked away, Hatton went to punch but stopped.

Hatton did not stop this punch. He threw it straight to the back of the head. The only reason it didnt land flush was because he hit the ropes instead of Floyds head. People can argue all day long whether Floyd turned his back or whether he was pushed. Both fighters were fighting rough. I thought Ricky had him on the ropes several times but never did anything. Ricky's only chance was get Mayweather on the ropes and rough him up and I didnt think he took advantage of his opportunities. None of this matters since it never went to the scorecards.

+Quote Post
FidelCastro
post Dec 9 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #20

Amateur

Group: Banned
Member No.: 6,436

This thread is hilarious! Now, one of the greatest ref's of this era, Joe Cortez, is a joke? Why? Because he didn't allow Ricky "I need rough house tactics to win" Hatton to pull the same crap he pulls in the U.K.

Further laughing my ass off about those U.K fans having the audacity to come into American forum and boo while the national anthem was being sang by Tyrese Gibson. Karma got them good for that BS.

I must admit the KO was fking hilarious as well a perfectly placed left hook and Hatton bangs his head against the buckle and falls.....LMAO! The British are falling!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:38 PM