Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joe Cortez is a joke
Southeastpaw
post Dec 9 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #21

The Analyst

Group: Members
Member No.: 166

Joe did an outstanding job considering what he had in front of him. There were a mess load of fouls. So if you had to choose a foul to deduct, it would have HAD to have been the punch in the back of the head. That was undeniably the most flagrant foul of the fight. Both were doin nasty stuff on the inside. Joe did the right thing. Who would have done better? Reffing any Hatton fight has got to be a task.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 9 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #22

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Well,

Let's just say that I don't think Joe Cortez and Mickey Vann are going to be exchanging Christmas gifts this year!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Jack

+Quote Post
pastor method
post Dec 9 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #23

Lightweight

Member No.: 132

i've never thought cortez was much of a ref anyway, but he did an okay job considering how much fouling was going on in the first half of the fight. he was trying to get himself a bit too involved early though, and did break up some of the inside action too quickly. but still, can't blame him for jumping the gun a couple times when the in-fighting was so heated and dirty.

mayweather has always, and WILL ALWAYS get away wtih sticking his forearm in his opponent's face. if he never fights outside the US, he'll never be penalized for it. he should have lost a point tonight for how much he was using his elbows/forearms. but if he hadn't used the elbows/forearms, it only would have led to hatton falling into him and an even uglier fight wtih even more clinches.

mayweather stops him late or outpoints him 19 times out of 20 regardless of referees, point deductions, fouls, or where the fight takes place.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #24

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

QUOTE(Method @ Dec 9 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]369494[/snapback]
Dumbest fucking analogy I've read in a while. Smething I would have expected from Hawkins.

LOL Sorry to disappoint you there Method.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #25

ON the edge

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 9 2007, 06:35 AM) [snapback]369433[/snapback]
Didn't remember it as being a push. I remember Floyd ducking under and away from a punch, then Ricky turned to punch him as Floyd moved away with his back facing Hatton.

It was a clearly a push that put Mayweather into position to be the recipient of a shot to the back of the head. Hatton threw the shot after Mayweather was bent over and through the ropes and the punch scuffed off of the rope and partially landed on the back of Mayweather's head. Obvious punch thrown with intent to land (and it did partially), obvious foul, obvious call for a point deduction.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #26

ON the edge

QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 9 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]369477[/snapback]
Not that the fact that you had big money riding on Floyd has anything to do with your opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Floyd won the fight by knockout so Cortez and the point deduction mean nothing in terms of me winning a Mayweather bet.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Dec 9 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]369560[/snapback]
Floyd won the fight by knockout so Cortez and the point deduction mean nothing in terms of me winning a Mayweather bet.

Are you seriously telling me that you didn't jump out of your chair and scream for joy when he took that point from Hatton - particularly given the fact that neither Lampley or Merchant was questioning Lederman's rediculous scorecard? Come on, at that moment you were damn glad Cortez was in the ring.

I think Cortez was fine, but I also think that Mayweather's team got in his head before the fight. Look at the replay of Hatton-Castillo and how Cortez handled that vs how quick he was to break Hatton-Floyd apart and constantly tell Hatton that the holding was his fault when Floyd was doing at least half of the holding.

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Dec 9 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #28

The Analyst

QUOTE(Method @ Dec 9 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]369494[/snapback]
Dumbest fucking analogy I've read in a while. Smething I would have expected from Hawkins.

LOL.
I saw a pic the other day and it reminded me of Method.

(IMG:http://www.kingsolomon.com/toons/daffy.jpg)

There was actually another one that I wanted to use but cannot find it now. It was one with a pic of Daffy saying, "My anger management class is fuckin' pissing me off!!!" LOL. But this one does as well.

But I can see exactly where BBS is coming from. The analogy fits perfectly. Just because the rope got in the way of the full on foul does not mean that the point deduction was not warranted. It was not like Ricky tried to hold back or caught himself in the act of trying to nail Floyd in the back of the head. Ricky went for it. He knew what he was doing and full on went for it. It is a blatant attempt and was rightfully deducted a point. Had Cortez not done anything after that attempt, his credibility surely would have been in check.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #29

ON the edge

QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 9 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]369574[/snapback]
But I can see exactly where BBS is coming from. The analogy fits perfectly.

Thanks Southeast. Not sure why it ruffled Method's feathers so much?

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Dec 9 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #30

The Analyst

QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 9 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]369572[/snapback]
Are you seriously telling me that you didn't jump out of your chair and scream for joy when he took that point from Hatton - particularly given the fact that neither Lampley or Merchant was questioning Lederman's rediculous scorecard? Come on, at that moment you were damn glad Cortez was in the ring.

I think Cortez was fine, but I also think that Mayweather's team got in his head before the fight. Look at the replay of Hatton-Castillo and how Cortez handled that vs how quick he was to break Hatton-Floyd apart and constantly tell Hatton that the holding was his fault when Floyd was doing at least half of the holding.

Well as long as you thought Cortez was fine in there, it really doesn't matter what else.

It is just natural to be overjoyed in a fight of this caliber when the fighter you are rooting against gets a rightfully point deducted. I was very happy. To tell you the truth, I was surprised with Lederman's scorecard. I was more disappointed should I say. He was way off. I actually gave Hatton 2 rounds. And they weren't the two rounds that Lederman gave him. Floyd was fighting against everyone last night. He was fighting against Hatton, the crowd, GBP, the commentators, Lederman. At least the judges and the ref were doing the right thing in there.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:51 AM