> Joe Cortez is a joke
X3_Bazooka_X3
post Dec 9 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #41

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,230

QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 9 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]369649[/snapback]
Do you think that Cortez was aweful in the Hatton/Castillo fight as well?

That along with Bowe Holyfield 1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Imperius3
post Dec 9 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #42

Welterweight

Member No.: 931

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 9 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]369652[/snapback]
There are two things between your temples & above your nose but below the hairline. Learn to use tham they are called eyes & you can see with them.

PBF repeatedly & blatantly elbowed Hatton in the face in addition to his persistant & obvious lacing of Hatton especially after he was cut in addition to turning his back on his opponent.

Hatton clubbed PBF a couple of times on the neck due to PBF initiating clinches & playing reverse limbo. They were both rough but PBF was dirty something Hatton was not in this fight.

Mayweather was not striking Hatton with his elbows MMA style. He would use his elbows to push off and establish distance while Hatton was mauling him. It was pretty minor. And Hatton did initiate most of the clinching. How can anyone deny that?

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Dec 9 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #43

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 4,102

QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 9 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]369650[/snapback]
For what. They were BOTH fouling back and forth. But what did Floyd do that was as blatant as what Hatton got fouled for? Tell me. What they were doing on the inside was back and forth and not too serious. One would do something small, then the other. Then Ricky took it to another level and got what he deserved. Plain and simple.

In Cortez's defence:

It was that kind of fight {Fight fire with fire} so, I can't see elevating one foul over the other. A foul is a foul, its not any less if floyd or hatton commits it. If you watch the fight again {As I have several times} Cortez was trying to gain control from the onset. {hense the quick & early breaks} By the 4th round he started to let them fight with the exception of holding the head down and when they were deadlocked. Hatton was clubbing to the very end and floyd was elbowing till the very end and all cortez did from the 4th on was warn them ..... again with the exception of the point deduction to hatton. Which would have drawn a deduction in any fight in the US. {Not in the UK, but in the US, it is a foul!!!}

Cortez did a good job in there considering the circumstances. ALL {I mean everybody who watched the fight} knew that hatton was going to fight that way. The only question was how was the ref going to contain the BS.

I agree with hatton, its not a tickling match, but then again its not a wrestling street fight either. You can't fault hatton for his fighting habits, you would have to fault all those UK refs that let it develop into his style of fighting. Hatton has had 40+ fights where the refs let him commit any kind of foul that didn't involve a weapon. So this late in his career, how else is he going to fight. Blame the UK refs that let fouls develop into a style, rather than a ref that is trying to contain them.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #44

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

Good post db.

Taking a point away from a fighter (either fighter) in a lopsidedly scored fight really means nothing anyway other than to attempt to prevent that fighter from again doing whatever prompted the referee to take the point.

I think Cortez was "fair but firm" as always. Both Hatton and Mayweather were doing their fair share of minor fouls all night long, basically on par with one another and Cortez more or less let it all go. I think the shot to the back of the head was stepping over the line however which is why Cortez took the point.

This was nothing like the pro-Hatton ref that was in there for Hatton-Tszyu or anything.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Dec 9 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #45

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Dec 10 2007, 01:07 AM) [snapback]369666[/snapback]
Mayweather was not striking Hatton with his elbows MMA style. He would use his elbows to push off and establish distance while Hatton was mauling him. It was pretty minor. And Hatton did initiate most of the clinching. How can anyone deny that?

No he was not using MMA style elbows he was cheating nonetheless. His blatant & repeated flouting of the boxing rules should have earned him at least two point deductions for the elbows & flagrant lacing of Hattons cut. Clinching is not illegal elbowing & lacing are. It is that simple.

BTW I was not giving you stick over the use your eyes comment only saying a foul is a foul no matter who commits it.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #46

ON the edge

Again, in a fight that's not even close on the scorecards why all the talk about point deductions?

I could see if this fight ended in a close SD or MD for Mayweather people could be pissed that Mayweather got the decision due to A - Hatton's point deduction or B - Mayweather's lack of point deductions... but it DIDN'T end that way. It was a KO, and even if it wasn't Mayweather was en route to winning about 9 or 10 rounds of the fight in most views.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Dec 9 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #47

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 10 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]369671[/snapback]
No he was not using MMA style elbows he was cheating nonetheless. His blatant & repeated flouting of the boxing rules should have earned him at least two point deductions for the elbows & flagrant lacing of Hattons cut. Clinching is not illegal elbowing & lacing are. It is that simple.

BTW I was not giving you stick over the use your eyes comment only saying a foul is a foul no matter who commits it.

The fact is, they were both dirty. Hatton tried to play his rough physcial game, and PBF did it right back. HAtton got a point deduction for pushing PBF against the ropes then attempting a rabbit punch.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The scores of the judges were pretty wide and PBF stopped him.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 9 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #48

ON the edge

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 9 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]369675[/snapback]
Anyway, it doesn't matter. The scores of the judges were pretty wide and PBF stopped him.

Yup, exactly correct.

+Quote Post
Boxingjunkie
post Dec 9 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #49

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]369578[/snapback]
Thanks Southeast. Not sure why it ruffled Method's feathers so much?

I thought it was perfect. Anyone got a better one??

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 9 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,253

Brute, nothing personal, brother, but it's just that comparing a kick in boxing to a questionable illegal punch? Makes absolutely no sense. A kick...ANY kick...is a FOUL. Illegal. No ifs, ands, or buts. Kinda like using hands on a soccer pitch.

A punch to the back of the head is illegal, but there is a level of judgement involved. Was it intentional? Accidental? Did the recipient turn his back (in the case w Mayweather)? Did it even land? In the case last night, I don't think Hatton should have been penalized. Floys turned his back, and Hatton didn't even land the fucking blow.

Joe Cortez looked AMATEURISH in there in the opening rounds. WAY over-reffing the fight. Floyd WAS initiating a lot of the holding. Whatever. As someone said earlier, Bernard played him good, and it is obvious to me that Joe Cortez's style can be eaily puppeteered by any fight team rasing enough of a beef.

All that said, Brute, agree with you 100% in that the point deduction don't mean shit given Floyd K'd Hatton TFO. I will say, in general, though, I am of the opinion that a point deduction in a competitive, intense fight can change a guy's psyche and force him out of his rhythm/strategy, and it always sucks to have a ref impose to much of himself in an outcome.

Scores were wide as fuck at the time of the stoppage as well, which was surprising.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:00 AM