IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather VS Cotto, who wins and why?
Jack 1000
post Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #101

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

The Margarito fight comes down to what Arum wants to do, and the last thing that would surprise me is if we see the two of them share a ring. Mosley II, DLH, Mayweather, Margarito...I have no problem with Cotto's camp choosing any of these guys as opponents.

I think that Margarito would be the easiest opponent for Cotto. While I believe that Margarito is somewhat overrated, it wouldn't be SOOOOO easy as to be a walk in the park for Cotto, but it could be a nice "stay busy" fight for him while negotiations are worked out for the bigger name fighters. BUT everyone should stay away from Williams. Williams is a threat to anybody because of his size, awkward style, and reach. It's unfortunate for Paul, but he just doesn't bring in the big money.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #102

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE(JD @ Dec 12 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]370146[/snapback]
You assume that Floyd will want the fight by the middle of next year - which I am not so sure about. Cotto has already come out and said how disappointed he is that Floyd wants to take a vacation - if that fight does not happen in '08, I think we can safely assume that it will not be because Cotto is ducking him; Floyd is bored with the sport and wants a break...those were his exact words.

Floyd also said that he was going to retire after the ODLH fight.

Now I can understand if Floyd does indeed keep to his word and I'll have no reason to critisize Cotto if that is indeed the case. We don't know that to actually be the case yet so we'll just have to wait and see. I believe that Cotto's people don't want any parts of Floyd and if the Oscar fight doesn't come off [as I suspect it wont] we'll see Cotto's people calling out everyone but Floyd.

Cotto Mosley II summer 2008...

CEO: if ever you start a Cotto hate wagon please add my name to the list. Thank you...

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 12 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #103

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370150[/snapback]
Floyd also said that he was going to retire after the ODLH fight.

Now I can understand if Floyd does indeed keep to his word and I'll have no reason to critisize Cotto if that is indeed the case. We don't know that to actually be the case yet so we'll just have to wait and see. I believe that Cotto's people don't want any parts of Floyd and if the Oscar fight doesn't come off [as I suspect it wont] we'll see Cotto's people calling out everyone but Floyd.

Cotto Mosley II summer 2008...

CEO: if ever you start a Cotto hate wagon please add my name to the list. Thank you...

Yeah, but no one believed Floyd than...did you? Besides, Floyd isn't retiring, he says he is taking a break - and you cannot expect Cotto to waste a year or so waiting on him. I think it is pretty clear that Cotto is genuine in his desire to get Floyd in the ring in '08...I have seen nothing that would indicate otherwise. That said, I really don't see how fighting Oscar is any more of a daunting task than rematching Mosley. They just had a successful PPV, packed out the Garden, and fought in an entertaining, close, competitive fight that many feel should have been a draw...how is granting a guy like Mosley a rematch taking an easy route?

I mean, so often we talk about true greats granting rematches when they fight close fights...than when we discuss the possibility of a guy like Cotto actually doing it, and some (well, you so far) want to hate on him for it. I don't get it. It's not like he is trying to rematch Gianluca Branco; we are talking about Shane Mosley here.

If Cotto gives Mosley a rematch, I really don't see how we can get on him for it. Perhaps it will all end up moot, and Floyd and Cotto will decide to fight in June of next year...time will tell.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Dec 12 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #104

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370149[/snapback]
I think that Margarito would be the easiest opponent for Cotto. While I believe that Margarito is somewhat overrated, it wouldn't be SOOOOO easy as to be a walk in the park for Cotto, but it could be a nice "stay busy" fight for him while negotiations are worked out for the bigger name fighters. BUT everyone should stay away from Williams. Williams is a threat to anybody because of his size, awkward style, and reach. It's unfortunate for Paul, but he just doesn't bring in the big money.

Jack

I agree...Cotto should go ahead and squash that Margarito guy once and for all....and Williams has the best chance of beating Mayweather.

QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370150[/snapback]

Sorry...but I like Cotto...he's trying to work his way to the top the old fashioned way....by earning it. He can box. He can punch. He's got heart. He's confident, yet humble...and all business. Gotta like Cotto...

I WAS thinking about starting a Manny Steward Hate Wagon...but everyone would join it, and there'd be no resistance...so it wouldn't be any fun.

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 12 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 1,253

I think that Margarito would be the easiest opponent for Cotto. While I believe that Margarito is somewhat overrated, it wouldn't be SOOOOO easy as to be a walk in the park for Cotto, but it could be a nice "stay busy" fight for him while negotiations are worked out for the bigger name fighters.

LMAO. So now Margarito is nothing but a walk through, "stay busy" type of fight for Cotto? That is about one of the dumbest fucking things I've read on this site in a while.

Y. Stay busy by putting your career on the line in a potential blood bath. Great strategy.

PS - Throw me on the Manny Steward HATE Wagon.

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Dec 12 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #106

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 12 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]370153[/snapback]
Sorry...but I like Cotto...he's trying to work his way to the top the old fashioned way....by earning it. He can box. He can punch. He's got heart. He's confident, yet humble...and all business. Gotta like Cotto...

I didn't like the way he ran from SSM in the later rounds of their fight.

I WAS thinking about starting a Manny Steward Hate Wagon...but everyone would join it, and there'd be no resistance...so it wouldn't be any fun.

LOL...

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 12 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #107

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE(Method @ Dec 12 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]370154[/snapback]
LMAO. So now Margarito is nothing but a walk through, "stay busy" type of fight for Cotto? That is about one of the dumbest fucking things I've read on this site in a while.

Y. Stay busy by putting your career on the line in a potential blood bath. Great strategy.

PS - Throw me on the Manny Steward HATE Wagon.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.

Cotto will get drawn into a brawl with Margarito...which ain't exactly going to be just a stay busy fight. In fact, as I have said in other threads...if they fight, I think Margarito ends up beating him.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Dec 12 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #108

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

I see a real good scrap with Cotto breaking Margarito from the inside out. Margarito would make a good account of himself, and it'd be a great fight to watch...

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 12 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 1,253

Im not saying Cotto won't come through victorious (though I think it's a pick 'em, probably even favor Marg), but I AM saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he left a piece of himself in the ring when the night is over, and that is NEVER an outcome you want to deal with when you're merely trying to "stay busy".

+Quote Post
singletrack
post Dec 12 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #110

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 5,671

QUOTE(JD @ Dec 12 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]370136[/snapback]
I did say easier than Hatton, due mainly to my concern that Floyd will have an easier time pot shotting because of the footspeed disparity. What makes it all the more crazy is that I think Cotto does have a better chance than Hatton did because if he lands, he will hurt Floyd...but I just don't think he will. And if he gets stuck fighting at a distance because of Floyd's respect for him, and constant movement, than it will be an easier fight for Floyd.

No knock on Cotto at all, the dude is extremely skilled and ready and willing to fight anyone - I just think that that fact that Floyd does not have the same type of fighting spirit Mosley did will make this a very hard fight on him.

Besides, I am starting to think that we are more likely to see Cotto - Mosley II or Cotto - Margarito.

I just don't think Floyd can avoid Cotto for 12 rounds.

If DLH/Cotto doesn't happen, then I think we will see Margarito/Cotto in PR. I'm almost hoping for the latter because it will be a fun trip and I will get better seats ; )

This post has been edited by singletrack: Dec 12 2007, 02:01 PM

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 04:25 AM