IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather VS Cotto, who wins and why?
JD
post Dec 9 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #21

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 9 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]369487[/snapback]
Article from boxingscene
After Floyd Mayweather Jr. overcame a game Ricky Hatton and stopped him in the tenth round of their championship bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, "Money" Mayweather announced that he was going to take a long vacation from the sport. Mayweather, who admits he's become bored with boxing, is planning to focus on building his promotional company. He wants to step away from boxing for as long as two-years.

WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, who sat ringside at the MGM Grand, was not pleased with Mayweather's decision to step away from the sport. Cotto is under the impression that Mayweather is intentionally avoiding a fight with him.

"He has had great victories, but when you talk about Miguel Cotto and Floyd Mayweather, he always comes up with excuses -- I'm not the opponent for him, I'm not ready for him," Cotto said to the Grand Rapids Press. "I earned all I have now. I worked for that. Over the next year, year and a half, I can take the big names. At 147 pounds, the welterweight division, to me, it's the hottest division in boxing today. Margarito, Mayweather, Hatton, Kermit Cintron, Paul Williams and me. It could be three years of great boxing. I just want the big fights, the big names, the real fights. I wish the rest of the opponents want the same."

Yeah...it sucks for Cotto and the fans, but moreso Cotto. The dude beat who he was asked to at 140, moved up to 147 and got better than he was because of the additional weight. He beat the guys he was asked to there, and did so in exciting fashion against good opponents, now he is basically being told "All that work, and you will not get the fight that you want".

That is unfortunate, and knowing Cotto's mentality, he will end up fighting Williams or Margarito which inevitably is good for us.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 9 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #22

First Ballot

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 9 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]369486[/snapback]
Cotto will be more effective closing the distance than Hatton because he will do it behind his underated Jab....Again!!!!!

Cotto has a terrific jab - it was the punch I expected to be most important against Mosley. While Cotto will try to close the distance with his jab, he will have a hard time because his feet are not as quick as Hattons - and Mayweather does not have the same fighting spirit as Mosley. He will potshot and move all night if he has to, whereas Mosley was willing to trade because that is who he is.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Dec 9 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 9 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]369487[/snapback]
Over the next year, year and a half, I can take the big names. At 147 pounds, the welterweight division, to me, it's the hottest division in boxing today. Margarito, Mayweather, Hatton, Kermit Cintron, Paul Williams and me. It could be three years of great boxing. I just want the big fights, the big names, the real fights. I wish the rest of the opponents want the same."

Which is another way of saying that he wants DLH, Hatton, Cintron, and Margarito if and only if Margarito gets a big win. Cotto, at 5'7" with a 67" reach, wants absolutely no part of Williams and would only fight Floyd if Hatton and DLH aren't available. It's all about risk/reward.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Dec 9 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #24

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

BE PATIENT COTTO and hope that your face fighting ass doesn't lose before Flod rips your head off... Floyd will TKO Cotto who will be suprised at how hard Floyd can crack with that left hook.

So what now people... Floyd brutally beats down a guy that was said to give him his toughest bout. From what I saw, Hatton was totally ineffective. Haters say what you want. PBF can slug and box- he is the best in the sport hands down

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Dec 9 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #25

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE(JD @ Dec 9 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]369490[/snapback]
Cotto has a terrific jab - it was the punch I expected to be most important against Mosley. While Cotto will try to close the distance with his jab, he will have a hard time because his feet are not as quick as Hattons - and Mayweather does not have the same fighting spirit as Mosley. He will potshot and move all night if he has to, whereas Mosley was willing to trade because that is who he is.

I think that your confusing Cotto's gameplan with what Hatton tried to do last night. Cotto has about the same foot speed that De La Hoya and and Oscar was able to close the distance just fine. Now you can say that Oscar was able to do it because of his size and reach but I think Cotto is skilled to enoughed and throws his punches with enough conviction to make up for that discrepancy.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Dec 9 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 9 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]369498[/snapback]
I think that your confusing Cotto's gameplan with what Hatton tried to do last night. Cotto has about the same foot speed that De La Hoya and and Oscar was able to close the distance just fine. Now you can say that Oscar was able to do it because of his size and reach but I think Cotto is skilled to enoughed and throws his punches with enough conviction to make up for that discrepancy.

Ricky doesn't have a jab like Cotto. And the only reason Oscar was able to close the gap was his jab. And Cotto definitely does not have the same footspeed as DLH.

Cotto's jab is the only way he could possibly get inside with Floyd, but Floyd's too fast and too accurate to allow it.

+Quote Post
imperial
post Dec 9 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,267

Cotto has the patience to make this a very competitve fight ..I personally want to see it becuase it would be skill against skill ..But nobody is beating Floyd in the center of the ring ..As much love as I have for Cotto I can't see him beating Floyd ..

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 9 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #28

First Ballot

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 9 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]369498[/snapback]

What Sal said.

Basically, Floyd is not going to initiate...and Cotto cannot fight him on the outside, so he has to close the distance. Only way to do that is behind a jab, and with footspeed - he does not have the footspeed, and Floyd is not going to wait for the combination that follows the jab. As soon as Cotto presses behind the jab, Floyd will move to the side and potshot.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 9 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #29

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Mayweather by decision or late stoppage,

Cotto is a more accurate puncher than Hatton and would be similar to Castillo in that regard. BUT like I said, he gets hit a little too often and cleanly. Cotto could win some rounds early with accurate punching. BUT once Mayweather found "the zone" by staying outside or perhaps even going inside and out-speeding Cotto at his own game, Floyd would put rounds in the bank. Once Floyd took Cotto out of whatever worked for him in the early rounds, I don't think Cotto could get back in the comfort zone. I thought Mosley beat Cotto, and Shane is past his prime. Now picture a prime Mosley against Cotto. That's Mayweather.

Jack

+Quote Post
SpitShineTommy
post Dec 9 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #30

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 264

DAAAM....I m still pissed Ricky got beat down by pbf.....fck it.....and yea I guess its Cotto's turn ......I can already see this beaing another "HUUGE" fight...countdown 24/7, all the Rican fans and Floyd's flashy self---ish azz....prob. do it in like NY or something, I hope Cotto can do what nobody else has been able to yet...its gonna take a brutal punch from Cotto and he could pull it off

What about PAUL WILLIAMS ???? he might actually have the best chance...but still needs a lil more rounds under his belt , is he ready to take out "Money" ???

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:06 AM