Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robinson vs Hagler.., Primes..
PR316
post Dec 10 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Robby at middleweight wasn't quite as special as he was at welterweight, but in his prime he fought several of his fights within the range of 152-156 pounds.

Hagler at his best usually weighed in between 157 to 160 pounds. A few non-title fights he weighed in over the 160 pound limit.

At the weight limit of 160 pounds with Robinson coming in at about 152 pounds to Hagler's 157 pounds, what do you guys think happens in this fight??.. Keep in mind that I am thinking of a prime Robinson here. The one who was struggling to make the welterweight limit of 147 pounds in his fights against Kid Gavilan and Charley Fusari, and of course the version of Hagler who fought Tommy Hearns.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Dec 11 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #2

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

I'd have to say Robinson wins at least 7 times out of ten in 15 rounders.

From what I've seen of Sugar (and I haven't seen the most)...him being faster and more active than Hagler is the key here...as well as his accuracy and straightness of punches....he was clearly the better pure boxer. I don't know if many here know this...but his chin was almost on par with Hagler's as well..

So I'm thinking he would typically outbox Hagler en route to a 11-4, 10-5, 9-6 sort of card....the times Hagler would win would either be by TKO or KO...and that would be where Robby was drawn into a war, and his pride prevented him from boxing the night out...it would be a huge task for ANYONE in history around that weight to go toe to toe with Hagler...

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Dec 11 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

Wow this would have been a 15 rd war I can't see either fighter stopping each other. I would give the edge to Robinson even at MW he was still awesome.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Dec 11 2007, 06:25 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

Robinson, faster, lands more jabs, lands the harder blows.

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Dec 11 2007, 06:43 AM
Post #5

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Member No.: 1,443

I have to go with Robinson. In another thread I found it difficult to pick a winner between Hopkins and Hagler, so for this one I'm pretty sure Robinson would take it on points in a gruelling fight.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Dec 11 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #6

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

At 160 I pick Hagler by close decision..

+Quote Post
PR316
post Dec 11 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

I could actually understand the argument that Hagler's sheer strength in close could see him to a close decision win. However, lets keep in mind that I'm thinking of the Robinson who barely made weight for his fights against Gavilan and Fusari(Robby was 28 years old at this time).

I do believe that Robinson was physically stronger than Hearns and had the chin to withstand Hagler's artillery. Its a tough fight. I see Robinson in the early goings able to keep his distance with his fast feet and piston like jabs. By the middle rounds, I think Hagler is able to close the distance and really do some serious damage. In fact I think he even would be able to floor Robinson and hurt him very badly.

But the fact that Robby was never stopped at any weight other than his fight against Maxim in which he was KO'd by heat exhaustion, tells me that Sugar would pull through it, and close very strong with quick and powerful combinations, staggering Hagler once or twice en route to a split decision win in which both men come out showing facial damage.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Dec 11 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #8

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Hagler's one of my favorites...but I can't outright pick anyone over Robinson around his weight...

AT his best, he was the perfect Boxing Machine......when he was fighting behind the jab...with those torturous power punches...in and out...

Talk about "unbeatable" skill and style, he had it...he was just an awesome mix of everything...fast and strong...chin and heart....graceful and Evil.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Dec 11 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

One thing I know for sure is that stamina would not be an issue with either guy. Sugar had to be one of the best conditioned boxers to ever grace a ring. And Hagler was just a beast, plain and simple.

Interestingly enough, Hagler could look at Robinson and almost see him as being nearly identical to Hearns. The hand speed, punching power, the long arms. But toughness is the difference here. Robinson could pay the price that Hearns was unable to pay. Even if Robby were to go down, he would be able to fight through it and box and slug his way to victory.

Robinson's bolo uppercut would be a huge weapon here against Hagler who liked to get low and inside.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Dec 12 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

I agree with your analysis 100% PR!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 06:07 PM