IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Paul Williams....., who is gonna beat this guy? How far can he go?
streetlion1
post Jan 9 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,534

Paul Williams. When I think about who could beat this guy I would give 3 people the shot maybe 4 (depending if DLH moves down like he says) thats Mosley, Cotto, and PBF. I have to see him against tougher competition than Margarito before I judge on how far he'll go. He hasnt had anyone test his chin yet....and he hasnt been in there with a guy who can move and counter who has good boxing skills. Now Margarito is no bum but he has definite draw-backs as in swinging wide and having little speed. PW I think would have big trouble against either one of those guys. I think PBF would make him look bad and that would test just what kind of boxing skills he has cause I dont think he would be able to throw throw throw like he would against everyone else. Mosley would be the one I would give him the best chance against yet still I havent seen PW have to box- box anyone. Cotto would definitly test his chin and chop his body up as he came in tryin to swing those pit-pat little shots. I think PW has a huge future, if he gets with the right trainer and starts boxing a bit more instead of throwing constantly. The question I have is about his chin. Is he gonna be able to stand up to the power of a Cotto. Looking at him I would have to say yes since he looks like a middleweight who skipped one too many meals. Only time will tell....lets see what happens when or if he fights the divisions elite! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

This post has been edited by streetlion1: Jan 9 2008, 12:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Blayde
post Jan 9 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,655

If Floyd decides to be too inactive to win a round, sure, Williams workrate will go down drastically but he will still have to offer more than Floyd. No doubt Floyd does have more skills, but doesnt change the fact that he would have to close the distance to land. And that would leave two options for him. Get out again very quickly what I dont think he could do against Williams LONG and also quick arms. Or try to tie Williams up every single time.

In addition to that, Williams who likes to let his hands go would always be there to throw everything hes got when Floyd wants to come in. So I just dont see how Floyd as great as he is defensively can avoid Williams punches if he also wants to land some of his own. So although Floyd is my P4P number 1, I just cant see him beating Williams.

Speaking of Cotto I would definitely pick Williams over him because I think it will be too difficult for Cotto to get his inside work going often enough to score points and/or break him down. Hes more skilled than Margarito but I that doesnt mean hes a bigger threat to Williams. I cant believe how you can say you have to see someone against tougher competition than Margarito. Margarito is one of the best at 147 IMO and it is always interesting too see how his opponents handle his size and workrate.

Its a different story with Mosley though. I would be very interested in a fight between him and Williams.

This post has been edited by Blayde: Jan 9 2008, 01:33 PM

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Jan 9 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE(Blayde @ Jan 9 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]374091[/snapback]
If Floyd decides to be too inactive to win a round, sure, Williams workrate will go down drastically but he will still have to offer more than Floyd. No doubt Floyd does have more skills, but doesnt change the fact that he would have to close the distance to land. And that would leave two options for him. Get out again very quickly what I dont think he could do against Williams LONG and also quick arms. Or try to tie Williams up every single time.

In addition to that, Williams who likes to let his hands go would always be there to throw everything hes got when Floyd wants to come in. So I just dont see how Floyd as great as he is defensively can avoid Williams punches if he also wants to land some of his own. So although Floyd is my P4P number 1, I just cant see him beating Williams.

Speaking of Cotto I would definitely pick Williams over him because I think it will be too difficult for Cotto to get his inside work going often enough to score points and/or break him down. Hes more skilled than Margarito but I that doesnt mean hes a bigger threat to Williams. I cant believe how you can say you have to see someone against tougher competition than Margarito. Margarito is one of the best at 147 IMO and it is always interesting too see how his opponents handle his size and workrate.

Its a different story with Mosley though. I would be very interested in a fight between him and Williams.

Agree with everything except Margarito being the best Welter. LOL

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 9 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #4

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

Isn't Williams fighting Quintana next? Cotto leftovers anyone?

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 9 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

I think P-Will will give everyone trouble. As much as I like Cotto, Williams beats him by decision. The height advntage would be ridiculous. But Williams would have problems with someone as quick and tricky as Floyd.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jan 9 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #6

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

A quick, slick fighter will always give Paul some trouble! I think Floyd would outpoint Williams! Williams does not always use his reach! He smothers his own shots sometimes. Floyd is a great counter puncher and paul leaves himself open alot. Tony was able to counter Paul so imagine what Floyd can do! Mosley can be a real threat! But i just keep thinking about the Forrest fights! Even though Vernon and Paul have 2 different styles, The fact that Vernon was naturally bigger and longer gave Shane some problems, so I see Paul winning the Decision! I think Paul will decision Cotto as well. As long as Paul lets his hands fly then cotto will be eating punches all night long. Cotto will have his moments though! That leaves me with one guy that may possibly give Paul some trouble! Call Me crazy! BUT! I think Zab Judah would give Paul Hell! Just think about it. Early, Paul will have his same ole' game plan, letting his hands go, then for 1 second he's open then BANG beautiful counter Left Uppercut that may not KO Williams but stuns him enough to be more cautious and the fight can become competative! but then again! I'm a Judah fan!

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Jan 9 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

I just don't like this guy Paul Williams,....its like his high school basketball coach kicked him off the team and he stopped by the local gym while walking home from practice.

He is a threat to EVERYONE in the division. Not because he is tremendously skilled boxer, not because he has a chin of steel,...but because he's has advantages that are hard to overcome. Height, Reach, and decent speed.

The best match for him both physically and economically would be Mosely, or Judah,....both fighters have the recources needed to beat the tall man. And more importantly both really nothing to lose at this junction. It would be a good exit fight for them.....Any takers?...

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 9 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 10 2008, 12:23 PM) [snapback]374184[/snapback]
He is a threat to EVERYONE in the division. Not because he is tremendously skilled boxer, not because he has a chin of steel,...but because he's has advantages that are hard to overcome. Height, Reach, and decent speed.

Agreed 100%. That's what I was saying a while ago, he is most difficult because of his physical advantaged and you forgot to mention him being a lefty as well. I haven't seen him a great deal, but what I have seen, he is a little sloppy and doesn't look technically sound, but he is difficult. That said, I still like Williams, I just think he is dangerous more due to physical advantages rather than "awesome" boxing skills he has.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Jan 9 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 9 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]374163[/snapback]
Isn't Williams fighting Quintana next? Cotto leftovers anyone?

It ain't Pauls fault.He wanted the unification fight with Cintron, but Cintron backed out.Williams needs to stay busy and this is a good stay busy fight for him.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Jan 10 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

Williams could give any top 147lb trouble because of his height but I think Cotto has the formula to break down a fighter like Williams.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 08:19 PM