IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paul Williams....., who is gonna beat this guy? How far can he go?
The Original MrF...
post Jan 10 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 9 2008, 06:53 PM) [snapback]374163[/snapback]
Isn't Williams fighting Quintana next? Cotto leftovers anyone?

From all I've read, this is the only guy who'd fight Williams. Cotto wanted no part of him after Williams/Margarito. Floyd wants no part of ANY prime WW. Cintron fakes a hand injury in order to no t fight him.

I think the ONLY guy that gives Williams trouble is Margarito. Size matters. Tony is the closest guy to hgis size. Williams beat him, but Tony came on strong late. Too little to late. If he was to start banging away at Williams body earlier, he may be able to sneak away at a decision. Otherwise, same fight as last time. Williams is an awesome specimen and a pretty good fighter on top of that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 10 2008, 02:56 AM
Post #12

Guests

Why would Cotto want to fight Williams at this point? He has bigger fish to fry at the moment. It only makes sense to go for DLH, Mosley or a Mayweather type of fight before Williams.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jan 10 2008, 03:26 AM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 10 2008, 02:56 AM) [snapback]374224[/snapback]
Why would Cotto want to fight Williams at this point? He has bigger fish to fry at the moment. It only makes sense to go for DLH, Mosley or a Mayweather type of fight before Williams.

Not sure if that was on the table right after Williams/Margarito. Margarito/Cotto would have been next IF Tony was to win against Williams. Funny that since Williams won, no Cotto/Williams came to fruition... BTW, how much did Cotto bring home for the Mosley fight? Anybody know off the top of your head?

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 10 2008, 04:24 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 10 2008, 07:26 PM) [snapback]374225[/snapback]
Not sure if that was on the table right after Williams/Margarito. Margarito/Cotto would have been next IF Tony was to win against Williams. Funny that since Williams won, no Cotto/Williams came to fruition... BTW, how much did Cotto bring home for the Mosley fight? Anybody know off the top of your head?

Yeah, I remember hearing about a potential Cotto/Margarito fight. I think that would have been a tough fight for Cotto (even though I don't think much of Margarito), but a lot more marketable that a Williams fight, at least you have a Mexican vs PR angle with that fight.
But yeah, I would love to see some fights between the top welters, but I have no problem with Cotto not looking in Williams direction just yet. They are both young and still have many years, while Cotto has fighters like DLH, Mosley and Mayweather who probably won't be there as long as Williams and must try and strike a fight with them now. More money, better name on a resume and an easier fight for the reward given. Can't say I blame Cotto. Though I think we will see more important fights (eg-Cotto-Williams) once the big boys decide to call it a day and move on.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 10 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #15

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Margarito could beat him if he got another crack. Im not saying he would, but he definitely could. Their first contest was close and competitive.

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Jan 10 2008, 10:14 AM
Post #16

The Analyst

Member No.: 166

I'm pretty confident that Williams would beat everyone in the division. Like said in a post before, it's not because he is tremendously talented, cause he is not, but what talent he does have together with his physical advantages and chin, I can't see anyone beating him at this weight.

And one thing I really don't understand is how people are saying that Mosley, of all people @ WW, would be one of the most likel;y candidates of beating Paul. Mosley has shown trouble against long, lanky guys. Paul is ALL wrong for Mosley.

+Quote Post
Sugar Q
post Jan 10 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #17

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,496

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 10 2008, 02:56 AM) [snapback]374224[/snapback]

Let's deal with facts here:
1) The Cotto camp is not trying to give Shane a rematch, which Shane should be campaigning for.
2) You don't hear them calling out Mayweather (their campaigning for a DLH fight cause their sleeping on DLH)
3) If your not fighting PBF, Shane or DLH why not fight Williams. Not too long ago almost everybody in here was calling Margarito the man to beat then after Clottey put it on him people got quiet then Williams officially beat him which should've made him the man to beat according to you guys but all of a sudden Cotto beats Zab (fouls and all) who hasn't won a good one in a while and then Shane (in a squeaker) but neither one are higher ranked than Williams so how is it that Cotto shouldn't have to go through Williams to be the #1 contender? You know you guys don't allow tune-ups in here. Cotto needs to be a machine like yall expect PBF to be and he can't hold PBF's jockstrap in the accomplishment category so you know he doesn't get a bye.

This post has been edited by Sugar Q: Jan 10 2008, 11:37 AM

+Quote Post
Nobudius
post Jan 10 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #18

Heavy...wait!

Member No.: 2,606

QUOTE(Method @ Jan 10 2008, 06:35 AM) [snapback]374231[/snapback]
Margarito could beat him if he got another crack. Im not saying he would, but he definitely could. Their first contest was close and competitive.

....... I agree. If they meet again, I wouldn't necessarily bet the farm on PW winning.

Unfortunately, PW & AM are two guys where the risk outweighs the $$ at this point.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Jan 10 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #19

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 10 2008, 11:36 AM) [snapback]374252[/snapback]
Let's deal with facts here:
1) The Cotto camp is not trying to give Shane a rematch, which Shane should be campaigning for.
2) You don't hear them calling out Mayweather (their campaigning for a DLH fight cause their sleeping on DLH)
3) If your not fighting PBF, Shane or DLH why not fight Williams. Not too long ago almost everybody in here was calling Margarito the man to beat then after Clottey put it on him people got quiet then Williams officially beat him which should've made him the man to beat according to you guys but all of a sudden Cotto beats Zab (fouls and all) who hasn't won a good one in a while and then Shane (in a squeaker) but neither one are higher ranked than Williams so how is it that Cotto shouldn't have to go through Williams to be the #1 contender? You know you guys don't allow tune-ups in here. Cotto needs to be a machine like yall expect PBF to be and he can't hold PBF's jockstrap in the accomplishment category so you know he doesn't get a bye.

So now we are talking about what is the economically sound fight for Cotto?,....No he does not have the resume for PBF,...Yes, he may need a tune up fight for him.....Lets look at this from a different angle: Do you think DLH would take a fight with Williams over Cotto at this point?...Ecspecially with some one who would have a decent chance of beating him? Where is the money at?....What do the people want?....Golden boy will not turn this down... To me, PW is an average fighter with above average physical attributes (for a boxer)......

+Quote Post
Nobudius
post Jan 10 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #20

Heavy...wait!

Member No.: 2,606

Above average physical attributes? Look at him! He is built like a freak! There are very few people built like him on the entire planet.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:41 PM