IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paul Williams....., who is gonna beat this guy? How far can he go?
Method
post Jan 10 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #21

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Margarito could beat him if he got another crack. Im not saying he would, but he definitely could. Their first contest was close and competitive.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Jan 10 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #22

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 10 2008, 02:08 AM) [snapback]374196[/snapback]
Agreed 100%. That's what I was saying a while ago, he is most difficult because of his physical advantaged and you forgot to mention him being a lefty as well. I haven't seen him a great deal, but what I have seen, he is a little sloppy and doesn't look technically sound, but he is difficult. That said, I still like Williams, I just think he is dangerous more due to physical advantages rather than "awesome" boxing skills he has.

Agreed 100%. I am not high on Williams because he is as sloppy as a HO's snatch during a brothel crawl at 4.00am.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jan 10 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #23

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

As long as Paul williams is in top shape, he will always beat Tony!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Jan 10 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

The welterweight division is jam packed. We have the best 2 guys in the division in Mayweather and Cotto, there's Mosley, the old veteran who still has his skills, the hyped young fighter with his big win over Margarito, the durable hard hitting vet I just mentioned and good contenders like Cintron, Collazo, Quintana and Clottey. This is a great time for the welters.

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Jan 10 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #25

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,534

QUOTE(Blayde @ Jan 9 2008, 12:33 PM) [snapback]374091[/snapback]
If Floyd decides to be too inactive to win a round, sure, Williams workrate will go down drastically but he will still have to offer more than Floyd. No doubt Floyd does have more skills, but doesnt change the fact that he would have to close the distance to land. And that would leave two options for him. Get out again very quickly what I dont think he could do against Williams LONG and also quick arms. Or try to tie Williams up every single time.

In addition to that, Williams who likes to let his hands go would always be there to throw everything hes got when Floyd wants to come in. So I just dont see how Floyd as great as he is defensively can avoid Williams punches if he also wants to land some of his own. So although Floyd is my P4P number 1, I just cant see him beating Williams.

Speaking of Cotto I would definitely pick Williams over him because I think it will be too difficult for Cotto to get his inside work going often enough to score points and/or break him down. Hes more skilled than Margarito but I that doesnt mean hes a bigger threat to Williams. I cant believe how you can say you have to see someone against tougher competition than Margarito. Margarito is one of the best at 147 IMO and it is always interesting too see how his opponents handle his size and workrate.

Its a different story with Mosley though. I would be very interested in a fight between him and Williams.

Williams workrate is his best weapon....however he lacks in boxing skills and defense. He uses his offense as a defense...what is gonna happen when what he trys to swing at isnt there and he is the one getting countered as he comes in? As would be the case with PBF. All in all I dont think PBF has the heart enough to step up and fight him anyway. Cotto I feel would have a much better shot than you give him credit for. His speed is under-rated as are his skills as a complete boxer. PW coming in swinging leaving himself open would definitely have a price to pay against the best body-puncher in the sport. Im not knocking PW in any way...he just has to answer questions jn the ring yet, since he is so young. Can he adapt when his throw-throw offense doesnt work? Or can he take the precision power shots he is gonna have to take against the divisions elite?....Also his power isnt anything to be afraid of either. Yes Margarito is good but not in the top 5 of the division IMO. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 10 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 11 2008, 02:51 PM) [snapback]374309[/snapback]
Agreed 100%. I am not high on Williams because he is as sloppy as a HO's snatch during a brothel crawl at 4.00am.

Yep. Well I still have to watch Williams-Margarito. I have it on DVD, just haven't got around to watching it yet. I will see what I think of his on that fight.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jan 11 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 10 2008, 11:22 PM) [snapback]374314[/snapback]
Yep. Well I still have to watch Williams-Margarito. I have it on DVD, just haven't got around to watching it yet. I will see what I think of his on that fight.

Great fight... Both guys got and gave. Those 1st few rounds looked like blowouts at first glance because Williams kept pumping that jab nonstop. He probably got credit for hits that shouldnt have been hits. Margarito picked off many jabs with his gloves. Thats why I think Tony may have thought he won the fight in the end. He seemed to forget that while Williams pumped a nonstop jab, Margarito was doing very little, which probably also influenced the decision. Tony opened things up in the 6th round if I remember. I think i had it 7 to 5 for Williams... let me know what you think.

The thing that really impressed me about Williams was the speed that he was spitting that jab out with. That coupled with his sheer size makes him unbeatable at 147.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 11 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 11 2008, 04:47 PM) [snapback]374321[/snapback]
Great fight... Both guys got and gave. Those 1st few rounds looked like blowouts at first glance because Williams kept pumping that jab nonstop. He probably got credit for hits that shouldnt have been hits. Margarito picked off many jabs with his gloves. Thats why I think Tony may have thought he won the fight in the end. He seemed to forget that while Williams pumped a nonstop jab, Margarito was doing very little, which probably also influenced the decision. Tony opened things up in the 6th round if I remember. I think i had it 7 to 5 for Williams... let me know what you think.

The thing that really impressed me about Williams was the speed that he was spitting that jab out with. That coupled with his sheer size makes him unbeatable at 147.

Yep, I will try watch it over the weekend or something. I will probably end up in this thread or bumping an old thread on my thoughts on the fight, lol.

+Quote Post
Sugar Q
post Jan 11 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #29

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,496

QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 10 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]374280[/snapback]
So now we are talking about what is the economically sound fight for Cotto?,....No he does not have the resume for PBF,...Yes, he may need a tune up fight for him.....Lets look at this from a different angle: Do you think DLH would take a fight with Williams over Cotto at this point?...Ecspecially with some one who would have a decent chance of beating him? Where is the money at?....What do the people want?....Golden boy will not turn this down... To me, PW is an average fighter with above average physical attributes (for a boxer)......

I think that Oscar would fight any fighter @147 and I think he can beat anyone except PBF. I think Oscar would KO the Williams that fought Margarito! If Margarito could connect I know Oscar can and Oscar's a harder puncher (Margarito's punching is very over rated). One thing you never wanna over look is a fighters pride and Oscar has lots of it. OSCAR WILL BE IN GREAT SHAPE FOR HIS NEXT FIGHT! If he fights Cotto (with all the past Bob Arum bs) he's gonna be ready for him and Im picking Oscar to beat Cotto as much as I like Cotto.

+Quote Post
buford54
post Jan 11 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #30

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 1,990

I think that PW can own the division. He is sloppy, but the man made AM's workrate drop in 1/2. Tony is the one who normally throws 1000 punches in a fight. But he couldn't do it while PW was in his face all day long.
I don't care who the fighter is, not many people can effectively throw hard and accurate shots when there is a glove in/on their face ALL night long.
I do think that Cotto has the best shot to beat PW, because he keeps his head when under fire, is a wicked body puncher and has a lot of pop in general. I would probably pick Williams to win it, but Cotto, because of his power would have a great shot.

I don't think Floyd would beat PW. PW has too much reach and is too tall, and I don't think that Floyd would be able to work in close enough to land anything.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 04:27 AM