> Hopkins-Calzaghe official? (In Vegas April 12?), 1 Topic Merged Here
streetlion1
post Jan 5 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,534

QUOTE(Blayde @ Jan 5 2008, 09:30 AM) [snapback]373481[/snapback]
Ok, so if Kessler isnt half as good as Hopkins, who da hell in Hopkins record is half as good at Calzaghe? Lets forget about Jones and Taylor because Hopkins lost these fights. A blown up Winky? Blown up welterweights like Oscar and Tito? Tarver?

Come on, man. That argument doesnt make sense. Calzaghes record isnt really great, but Hopkins' is also clearly overrated, although its a bit better than Calzaghe's. Future might tell us something different though depending on how Kessler will look in the future. IMO Kessler at 168 is better than Winky at 170, Oscar and Tito at 160 and also Tarver at 175.

OH NO, a Hopkins hater! Look Hopkins cant be questioned he fought much tougher opponents throughout his career and is easily one of the greatest of all time! Calzaghe will end up tied-up, roughed-up, and frustrated by fights end. He has far less credibility and hasnt faced anyone near B-Hops caliber....just wait and see!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blayde
post Jan 5 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,655

Hater, LOL, no I guess you are wrong about that. I also agreed I see Hopkins having a better resume than Calzaghe, but I cant believe how you can see such a big difference there.

I also agree it should not be that important, but I guess if Calzaghe has never faced anyone half as good as Hopkins, it should. Only 8-4 against a bum like Kessler whereas Hopkins has knocked out welterweight De La Hoya? Calzaghe is probably gonna get KO'd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Although Im picking Calzaghe to win decisively, I also think he wont have an easy time against Hopkins and he wont look great. Hopkins will prove how smart he is and what defensive skills he posesses. Additionally he should be able to find openings against the very offensive Calzaghe, so he can land some nice right hands. But I just cant see him getting done enough. Calzaghe is faster on his legs and with his hands, he throws good combinations on the inside and his outside boxing and his jab are very underrated just like his power. And with all the talk about Hopkins' tactics and rough style, dont forget its also a pretty big part of Calzaghes game to hold. That doesnt make it easier for B-Hop, either.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jan 5 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #13

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(Blayde @ Jan 5 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]373513[/snapback]
Hater, LOL, no I guess you are wrong about that. I also agreed I see Hopkins having a better resume than Calzaghe, but I cant believe how you can see such a big difference there.

I also agree it should not be that important, but I guess if Calzaghe has never faced anyone half as good as Hopkins, it should. Only 8-4 against a bum like Kessler whereas Hopkins has knocked out welterweight De La Hoya? Calzaghe is probably gonna get KO'd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Although Im picking Calzaghe to win decisively, I also think he wont have an easy time against Hopkins and he wont look great. Hopkins will prove how smart he is and what defensive skills he posesses. Additionally he should be able to find openings against the very offensive Calzaghe, so he can land some nice right hands. But I just cant see him getting done enough. Calzaghe is faster on his legs and with his hands, he throws good combinations on the inside and his outside boxing and his jab are very underrated just like his power. And with all the talk about Hopkins' tactics and rough style, dont forget its also a pretty big part of Calzaghes game to hold. That doesnt make it easier for B-Hop, either.

First Let me say that Calzaghe is a very good fighter. I rank him high on my P4P list simply because he has been the man in the Super Middleweight Division for so long. He is the longest reigning champ, and you gotta respect that! But How can anyone question BHOPs Resume. Not only has he beaten Hall of Fame fighters but he has dominated and knock them out!! Who in this world would ever compare BHOp and Calzaghe's resume! You seem to forget Calzaghe had trouble with Sakio Bika (From the show, The Contender), he struggled against Robin Reid (a C Class fighter).Calzaghe's crowning achievement were victories over Jeff Lacy (who was one of the most overhyped and overrated fighters in the last 10 years), and Kessler (who really hasn't proven himself that much either) Now on the other hand you have BHOP who has KO victories over Hall of Fame fighters such as: De La Hoya, and Trinidad. He has a KO victory over a young undefeated warrior Glen Johnson, who would go on to be the Light Heavyweight champion, and a fighter who I think Calzaghe ducked a couple of times. Not to mention victories over Winky Wright and Antonio Tarver, who are fighters I think would beat anyone on Calzaghe's record. Also the Taylor fights were very controversial. I actually had Hopkins winning both fights! So let's not compare their resumes!
But my prediction is this:
I originally had Calzaghe winning a very close decision, but after hours of studying both fighters, their styles, and there past fights, I have to say we have Mayweather-Hatton all over again!
I doubted BHOP one time when he fought Tarver, I will never do that again.
BHOP late Stoppage!

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Jan 5 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #14

The Analyst

Member No.: 166

As much as I cannot stand Calzaghe, he is a physical beast. His conditioning is top notch. This was where Hopkins would get quite a few fighters. They would fade and he would be fresh. Cal is fast with quick reflexes and an incredible workrate. Hopkins is going to have to make this fight as dirty as possible IMO to stand a chance. I expect to see Calzaghe outwork Hopkins to a decision. But you never know with Hopkins. I was never ever high on Tarver. Calzaghe offers up much more than him, much more. But, I would like to see Hopkins pull this off, just can't see it though.

+Quote Post
Mixnutz
post Jan 5 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #15

Amateur

Member No.: 6,351

The key to Hopkins success in his later years has been his ability to intemidate fighters before the bell has sounded. In Calzaghe, you got a fighter who seems to fear no one (evident in the staredown of Jeff Lacy). I just don't think Hopkins has it in him to go 12 hard rounds with a man who is not afraid to let his hands go.

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Jan 5 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #16

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,443

Blayde makes good points in his posts. Hopkins is a great fighter but his resume ain't something terrific. Yeah he's got some great names on there but the best fighters he fought were stronger and better at lower weight classes. This won't be no Mayweather-Hatton as one poster suggested. That's just plain daft. Who knows what would have happened 5 years ago, when they should have fought but right now I have to go with Calzaghe on points. Oh and I don't like saying that btw cos I'd rather see Hopkins win.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 5 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 5 2008, 04:19 AM) [snapback]373468[/snapback]
I still cant believe people think this is such a walk in the park for Calzaghge. First of all, what troubles ole Hopkins is speed/athletic ability/strenght...only reason Taylor was as competitive as he was.

Clazgahe doesn't have big power. The guy throws pitty pat slaps...he throws alot of them though thats for sure. Kessler is a bad dude...but defense wise, he is absolute shit compared to the 43 year old. Kessler backs straight up with no head movement and Calzaghe was able to catch him with straights. Hopkins gives Calzgahe a whole new look. He is not the defensively inept Jeff Lacy who looked like total shit against Peter Manfredo and that other guy Segeri whatever. Manfredo could have beaten Lacy had he stuck to his original gameplan. I like Jeff but he was one of the most overrated fighters in boxing just like Pantera Miranda IS/WAS....just a strong guy who fans got excited about.

Calzaghe has never been in here with anyone half as good as Hopkins. Calzgahe might win by outworking Hopkins but I wouldn't be suprised if he looks the more worn down, beat up, roughed up fighter at the end of the night. I dont expect Calzgahe to hit Hopkins clean with those pitty pat slaps he throwing against Lacy, Manfredo, and Kessler.

George my friend, I think you overlook just how slow Hopkins has looked these past few years.

Lets point out the Jermain Taylor fight. Another fight that pitted Hopkins vs a younger guy who was faster, but also as many are pointing out about Calzaghe, INCREDIBLY FLAWED... Like Calzaghe, Taylor too squares up, throws winging sloppy punches, leaves countless counterpunching opportunites(Wright and Pavlik exploited this), and like Calzaghe makes rookie mistakes. All those things going for B-Hop in those fights, and he didn't get the job done. Sure, I argue he won the 1st fight and lost the 2nd, but he lost those fights because he doesn't have the energy and sharpness anymore that he had years ago to keep up with the younger guys.

The Winky Wright fight. Lets stop here. B-Hop looked TERRIBLE in that fight. Yes he came out with a deserved W, but his legs are GONE... His hand speed is GONE... He relies on his experience and know how nowadays and that alone against Calzaghe is not going to get it done. It didn't get it done against Taylor and if you can't beat Jermain Taylor, its very difficult even at 175 to beat Joe Calzaghe who is a more skilled fighter than Taylor.

Many point to the Tarver fight, but I don't like that comparison at all. Calzaghe is faster and more versatile than Tarver. Tarver is only good at sitting back and waiting for perfect shots, and its the main reason he lost the 1st fight to Roy Jones. Predictably, Tarver engaged Hopkins in a posing contest and came out on the losing end. Calzaghe is not going to do that. He is going to circle, beat Hopkins to the punch constantly from the outside with the jab, and outmanuever him. Hopkins will be the one forced out of his envelope here. B-Hop will be the one faced with the choice to put himself out there more.

Very true that Joe doesn't have the power to really make Hopkins lose any sleep. But the sheer high speed PACE that Joe fights at is going to force Hopkins to throw back more than he's comfortable doing and it will tire his legs even faster. 6 years ago, I think B-Hop decisions Joe clearly. But this is different. Hopkins is no longer the Executioner. And it won't take long for B-Hop to feel the difference when faced with a guy who is the same size as him, a natural at the 168 pound weight class, with the hand speed, footwork, and awkward style to make things a nightmare for B-Hop.

Once again, I will say that I expect Hopkins to walk away without taking much punishment. But he will not do enough to win. Just like he didn't against Taylor. Hopkins prides himself alot on walking away from a fight unmarked, but he's not going to be able to dish out enough punishment over the course of 12 rounds against a younger, faster, and skilled enough fighter. Joe will out speed this guy and earn a comfortable decision. Hopkins will defy the decision and point out his freshness but you can't win if you don't land enough punches.

Calzaghe via UD.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 5 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #18

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

I don't think Hopkins looked terrible in the Winky fight. First of all, I dont expect anyone to look dominant or good against Winky. I personally think Winky would make Calzgahe look like shit if they ever fought. Winky is kind of a difficult guy to fight..with his pressure and tight defense. Hopkins beat him up and won pretty clearly. He had Winky missing badly and Winky was very tired at the end of the fight.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 5 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #19

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Fitz, i dont think Tarver is great at all but I'm not gonna lie, I dont think Kessler is much better. The truth is, Tarver HAS been in with much tougher opposition than Kessler's been in with. I believe the best fighter Kessler ever beat is Anthony Mundine. Tarver beat Roy Jones Jr, Montell Griffin, Glen Johnson, and Eric Harding who are all world class opposition. Base don what I've seen from both me, I definitely can't say that Kessler is better than Tarver without a doubt...skill wise and resume wise. I know Tarver is hated, but lets be real about that. Kessler is fresh, young, and strong...but the guy's defense is shady.

For the rcord, I think Tarver-Kessler is 50-50...or slight edge to Kessler because of youth.

And Dawson would smah tarver.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 5 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 6 2008, 12:53 AM) [snapback]373567[/snapback]
I don't think Hopkins looked terrible in the Winky fight. First of all, I dont expect anyone to look dominant or good against Winky. I personally think Winky would make Calzgahe look like shit if they ever fought. Winky is kind of a difficult guy to fight..with his pressure and tight defense. Hopkins beat him up and won pretty clearly. He had Winky missing badly and Winky was very tired at the end of the fight.

Good points. But lets keep in mind that Winky is not a natural 168 pounder and he was noticeably slower too at the higher weight and thats what I think contributed to his slowness and tiredness moreso than the blows Hopkins was landing. I'm not saying B-Hop didn't punish him in the end(He did), but through most of the fight, he looked very slow with his hands and lethargic with his legs.

I think Calzaghe's jab will reach target early and often, and those slappy combos he shoots will throw B-Hop off his game. I think Hopkins will take too long to get into his rhythm, all the while Calzaghe winning rounds on activity and speed. B-Hop I think will have some moments where his counter rights find a home. But I have serious doubts about him landing enough of them to win this fight.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 08:44 AM