9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins-Calzaghe official? (In Vegas April 12?), 1 Topic Merged Here
Method
post Jan 6 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #21

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Calzghe's jab landing early and often? OK. That makes a ton of sense...given that NOBODY'S jab has ever landed early OR often vs. Hopkins.

Only way Calzaghe wins the fight is by being busy...he ain't really gonna land all that much at ALL, but if the judges score ineffective aggression, and if Hopkins makes it easy for them to do that by not throwing that much in the first half, it will be another Jermain Taylor situation.

At 175 and with Shilstone back in the saddle, and with the stakes being MUCH BIGGER than anything since the middleweight unification tourney, I expect Bernard to be offensive enough to take that liklihood out of the equation. Joe's gonna get beat up.

I don't think Hopkins looked terrible in the Winky fight. First of all, I dont expect anyone to look dominant or good against Winky. I personally think Winky would make Calzgahe look like shit if they ever fought. Winky is kind of a difficult guy to fight..with his pressure and tight defense. Hopkins beat him up and won pretty clearly. He had Winky missing badly and Winky was very tired at the end of the fight.

Word.

Nobody has ever beaten up Wright like Hopkins did. And nobody has ever looked as "good" (I use that term losely, cuz it IS hard to look good against Wink) doing it. Hopkins made Winky miss badly all night. Had him huffing and puffing down the stretch, looking paltry. Very tough, at least in this boxing addicts opinion, to guage how much Bernard has slipped in ability based on the Wright fight by very nature of who he was fighting. When you consider all of Wright's other fights, and the fact that Bernard whupped Wright pretty damn decicsively, than I don't know what the fucking problem is. And Wright ain't a natural 170 pounder....he's a natural 200 lb'er. So fuck off with that shit. Wink is FINE at 16t8-170. If he wants to constantly feed a Krispy Kreme jones, that's his fucking problem.

Gonna be another southpaw mugging.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 7 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

I recall Taylor landing his jab in the 2nd fight a pretty good amount of times.

That being said, being offensive is not Hopkins best bet here. If he ups his punch rate, he'll be very tired towards the end with a fresh Calzaghe all over him.

Gotta go for now, but I'll speak more on this later.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 7 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #23

That being said, being offensive is not Hopkins best bet here. If he ups his punch rate, he'll be very tired towards the end with a fresh Calzaghe all over him

First it was Calzaghe landing a jab early and often, and now it's "Hopkins will be tired down the stretch with a fresh Calzaghe all over him".

When have you ever seen ANYONE landing ANYTHING, let alone jabs, early and often against Hopkins, and, when have you ever seen Hopkins tired in a fight?

Thx.

No more on this needed (with comments like the aforementioned), so don't rush back to a computer.

+Quote Post
Elijah
post Jan 7 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #24

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,619

I think Hopkins is gonna be more motivated for this fight than he has been in quite a while. That means trouble for JC. Those lead straight right hands that Hopkins throws oh so well are gonna do some damage to JC. I think that particular punch is gonna give JC major problems. It's gonna be a case that has already been stated on here, Hopkins won't punch a lot but most of what he throws will land with some pop on it while JC will be more active but I don't think his shots will land as clean as Hopkins.

Hopkins by UD.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 7 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(Method @ Jan 7 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]373822[/snapback]
First it was Calzaghe landing a jab early and often, and now it's "Hopkins will be tired down the stretch with a fresh Calzaghe all over him".

When have you ever seen ANYONE landing ANYTHING, let alone jabs, early and often against Hopkins, and, when have you ever seen Hopkins tired in a fight?

Thx.

No more on this needed (with comments like the aforementioned), so don't rush back to a computer.

Damn. No need to get personal here.

If its like YOU say it is, and Hopkins does indeed get aggressive against Calzaghe, that won't bode well for him because he opens himself up for counters. The slower this fight is, the better for Hopkins. If he opens up and makes it a fast pace, his age will show and he'll get outlanded.

Hopkins doesn't tire in fights because for the first 5 or 6 rounds, he mostly defends and lands an occasional counter shot here and there. And against fighters that sit back and pose like Antonio Tarver that won't be an issue. But against a quick guy who is awkward in his own right and not the easiest target either, then Hopkins will run into problems.

Zags will decision him. Too fast for Hopkins at this point and Bernard doesn't have the power to hurt him,

+Quote Post
Elijah
post Jan 7 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #26

Bantamweight

I'm not so sure about Hopkins not having the power to hurt JC. Maybe not with one punch but Hopkins has made plenty of his opponents look like Rocky Dennis when he was done with them. Besides, isn't the last thing a boxer loses is his power? Hopkins can crack when he wants to.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 7 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 7 2008, 05:39 PM) [snapback]373847[/snapback]
I'm not so sure about Hopkins not having the power to hurt JC. Maybe not with one punch but Hopkins has made plenty of his opponents look like Rocky Dennis when he was done with them. Besides, isn't the last thing a boxer loses is his power? Hopkins can crack when he wants to.

Mikkel Kessler is a legitimate puncher at 168 and his power sure as hell didn't discourage Calzaghe. I doubt Hopkins will be able to as well.

+Quote Post
Elijah
post Jan 7 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #28

Bantamweight

I don't think you can compare Kessler to Hopkins in any way whatsoever.

+Quote Post
buford54
post Jan 7 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #29

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 1,990

QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 7 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]373844[/snapback]
Damn. No need to get personal here.
If its like YOU say it is, and Hopkins does indeed get aggressive against Calzaghe, that won't bode well for him because he opens himself up for counters. The slower this fight is, the better for Hopkins. If he opens up and makes it a fast pace, his age will show and he'll get outlanded.
Hopkins doesn't tire in fights because for the first 5 or 6 rounds, he mostly defends and lands an occasional counter shot here and there. And against fighters that sit back and pose like Antonio Tarver that won't be an issue. But against a quick guy who is awkward in his own right and not the easiest target either, then Hopkins will run into problems.

Zags will decision him. Too fast for Hopkins at this point and Bernard doesn't have the power to hurt him,

It's certainly possible that Joe will win the fight...but Hopkins was more offensive during the Wright fight than he ever has been, and he wasn't tired at the end at all.
I assumed in the past that Hops was able to look so fresh because he took off the early rounds as well...but the Wright fight showed me differently.

I think Method has it spot on. If Joe wins, it will be another Jermain Taylor situation, where Hops doesn't do anything for the first few rounds and gives the fight away. Otherwise, I think Hops frustrates the hell out of Joe and methodically breaks him down.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 7 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #30

I don't think you can compare Kessler to Hopkins in any way whatsoever.

You're right. You can't.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:56 PM