Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins-Calzaghe official? (In Vegas April 12?), 1 Topic Merged Here
PrfPmp
post Jan 7 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #31

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,889

I was bored yesterday so decided to watch Winky-Hopkins and Calzaghe-Kessler simultanously (tivo), and unless Hopkins has slipped substantially sice last year, I think Joe C's in for a long night. Kessler was able to make Joe miss alot for someone with NO head movement, and i think he showed that a savy counterpuncher could beat Calzahge.
Also, Kessler ability in the clinch was 2nd rate. Hopkins has everything over Calzahge except handspeed (and the gaps not huge), and in workrate, the one area he clearly outperforms Hopkins. But like with many high workrate fighters, that workrate always slows down when they're being punished by clean counters.
Hops by possible late stoppage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jan 7 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #32

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 5 2008, 12:19 AM) [snapback]373468[/snapback]
Calzaghe has never been in here with anyone half as good as Hopkins. Calzgahe might win by outworking Hopkins but I wouldn't be suprised if he looks the more worn down, beat up, roughed up fighter at the end of the night.

yep

And, more importantly, Calzaghe's never been in with anyone with such short, accurate, heavy counter right hands. Hopkins has clearly slowed down over the past few years and I expect Joe to get a decision, but even at 43, Hopkins is easily the toughest guy Joe's faced.

It'll be really interesting to see if Joe is able to get away with the pitty-pat 5 punch combinations or if he changes his strategy in the 2nd or 3rd round to try to land bigger shots rather than multi-punch combinations as a result of Hopkins' counters. If that happens (and I really think it will to some degree), then the fight could be really interesting.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 7 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #33

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 7 2008, 05:59 PM) [snapback]373851[/snapback]
I don't think you can compare Kessler to Hopkins in any way whatsoever.

In terms of SKILL.... Your right. But Kessler is a harder puncher than Bernard.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Jan 7 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #34

Cerebral Ape

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 5,390

I still like Zags to win a decision here, I expect this fight to go alot like the Taylor fights, the exception being Zags is way better. Maybe when Hopkins was in his prime it would have been a different story, but I think I still would've picked Zags in that matchup also.

+Quote Post
imperial
post Jan 7 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #35

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,267

I also like Calzaghe based on workrate ..But if Hopkins is allowed to punch and hold expect another boring ud by the executioner ..

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 7 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #36

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 7 2008, 08:44 PM) [snapback]373914[/snapback]

I don't think he is by much... Slightly perhaps, but when you factor in Hopkins' placement/accuracy I don't think the difference is worth talking about.

+Quote Post
Imperius3
post Jan 8 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #37

Welterweight

Member No.: 931

It's not guaranteed Calzaghe will land more than Hopkins. Especially in the power punch department.

Keep in mind, Hopkins' work rate has increased since moving up to light heavy. We haven't seen Calzaghe fight at light heavy, and he might not have the same high work rate that he has at 168. You can bet his work rate will already be decreased by Hopkins' defense and ring savvy.

Taylor had a good work rate against Hopkins, but he also has good power. I think it was also the power factor that influenced the judges in those fights. Calzaghe doesn't have that kind of power, and Hopkins will be the harder puncher on fight night. I think Hopkins will land enough hard, authoritative punches and counters to earn himself a decision.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 8 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #38

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Just curious, and not saying you're wrong, but what are you quantifying this assertion with?

Regardless, power don't mean shit if you can't land. Ask your boy Tito about that.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 8 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #39

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

^^^^ Kessler is a legitimate puncher at 168 having knocked out natural 168 pounders. Bernard at 160 has gone the distance with Jermain Taylor(Twice), Howard Eastman, William Joppy, and others. And he hit those guys PLENTY... Destroyed Joppy's face and humiliated Eastman. In the first fight with Taylor, towards the end he had Jermain stunned and couldn't put the finishing touches. I think if those guys can withstand the power and not get knocked out, then I can't help but feel that Calzaghe won't be the least bit discouraged by Bernard's punches.

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Jan 8 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #40

The Analyst

Member No.: 166

Not so sure this Hopkins would even beat Kessler let alone Joe. Kessler is much more sound than a Taylor and has much better fundamentals than a Tarver.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 06:15 AM