Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins-Calzaghe official? (In Vegas April 12?), 1 Topic Merged Here
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 8 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #41

Guests

I kind of get the feeling that people are showing little respect for Kessler. He put up a pretty good performance against Calazghe, won at least 4 rounds and hurt him on more than one occasion. The fight was very close and competitive up until the championship rounds, Calazaghe's fitness and work rate prevailed and Kessler just couldn't keep up to the pace. Sure he has some holes in his defense, but so do most of the 'fans' favourite type of fighters. I kind of get the vibe that people are brushing Kessler off as a semi scrub. Couldn't be further from the truth.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 8 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 9 2008, 03:28 PM) [snapback]374048[/snapback]
Not so sure this Hopkins would even beat Kessler let alone Joe. Kessler is much more sound than a Taylor and has much better fundamentals than a Tarver.

Definitely better than Taylor, Pavlik and Tarver.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 8 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #43

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Kessler beat Hopkins? LOL.

Kessler might be more sound than Taylor..but he certainly is not as quick. Taylor has quicker feet and quicker hands. I think what really gave Hopkins trouble against Taylor was Taylor's jab and athletic ability.

In fact..After watching Kessler fight Calzgah and getting hurt to he body..I think Hopkins would fuck him up...

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 9 2008, 05:53 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 1,253

Kessler is much more sound than a Taylor and has much better fundamentals than a Tarver.

Sound in which way? And no way Kessler has "much better" fundamentally than Tarver. No fucking way. Kessler was getting lit up with winging 5-7 punch combos, some of the most hideous I've seen. Definitely not as effective a counterpuncher as Tarver. Im not the biggest Tarver fan, but Kessler's lack of fundamental's - including sound footwork, are what cost him. IMO, of course.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 9 2008, 06:33 AM
Post #45

Guests

I think it was Calazghe's work rate that cost him. He was doing just fine early in the fight and was right in it, as the fight wore on he declined. He just couldn't keep up.
Kessler is much better than Tarver IMO. I was watching his last fight as well and I couldn't believe just how much he sucks. Looks like a fucking lollipop, and all he does is paw with his jab. He fights like a faggot. Tarver lost to Glen Johnson FFS.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 9 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #46

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Well, I don't think Glen is great. He is a tough veteran..but I do think if Kessler fought him...that would be his toughest test aside from Calzaghe without a doubt.

Dawson will eventually destroy them all (except for Hopkins)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 9 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #47

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

I honestly think that if Milkdud ever found the balls to fight Dawson, he'd get stopped.

Tarver has to be one of the luckiest men on earth. He won the lottery and caught Roy Jones at the right time in his career and then was exposed by Hopkins as being an average fighter at BEST... Only Iran Barkley was luckier in his first fight with Tommy Hearns.

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Jan 9 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #48

The Analyst

Member No.: 166

QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 9 2008, 10:42 AM) [snapback]374072[/snapback]
I honestly think that if Milkdud ever found the balls to fight Dawson, he'd get stopped.
Tarver has to be one of the luckiest men on earth. He won the lottery and caught Roy Jones at the right time in his career and then was exposed by Hopkins as being an average fighter at BEST... Only Iran Barkley was luckier in his first fight with Tommy Hearns.

You are right about that. Tarver is garbage. He definitely caught Roy at the right time. So other than a wasted Jones, Tarver has a crap resume of wins. Harding beat him the first go round and was handing it to him the second time till he got caught. Kessler does have very good fundamentals. Joe started catchin him as he wore down. Joe has incredible stamina and started pulin away with the fight as the fight wore on. And I would give Taylor little chance to win if he ever got into the ring with Kessler.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 9 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #49

Guests

QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 10 2008, 02:55 AM) [snapback]374073[/snapback]
You are right about that. Tarver is garbage. He definitely caught Roy at the right time. So other than a wasted Jones, Tarver has a crap resume of wins. Harding beat him the first go round and was handing it to him the second time till he got caught. Kessler does have very good fundamentals. Joe started catchin him as he wore down. Joe has incredible stamina and started pulin away with the fight as the fight wore on. And I would give Taylor little chance to win if he ever got into the ring with Kessler.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Blayde
post Jan 9 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #50

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,655

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 9 2008, 12:38 PM) [snapback]374062[/snapback]
Well, I don't think Glen is great. He is a tough veteran..but I do think if Kessler fought him...that would be his toughest test aside from Calzaghe without a doubt.

Dawson will eventually destroy them all (except for Hopkins)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

I dont think Johnson is better than Mundine, but Im not sure about that. Im pretty sure though that Mundine stylewise is a more difficult opponent for Kessler than Johnson. Kessler likes to be the boxer, fight from the outside and control it that way. But against Mundine he had to adapt and fight a different fight, coming forward like a slugger at times.

And I agree on both things with him and Taylor. Taylor is faster with his hands, Kessler is more skilled. And in contrast to a lot of people Im not sure if Hopkins is really better than Kessler right now. But one on one with B-Hop I think speed like Taylor has is more important than skills and allround game like Kessler has.

This post has been edited by Blayde: Jan 9 2008, 12:18 PM

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 09:34 AM