Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins-Calzaghe official? (In Vegas April 12?), 1 Topic Merged Here
BigG
post Jan 10 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #61

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Again, I'm not the biggest Tarver fan..in fact..I almost cried tears of fuckin JOY when Hopkins beat his ass. We'll see if Kessler can show impovements on his D. He is still young afterall...but at this stage, I'd have to say Tarver is maybe slightly better..skill wise and technique wise. Tarver's got good counterpunching and a good jab.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blayde
post Jan 10 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #62

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,655

And Tarver struggled against Muriqi, LOL.

I can understand if you say Tarver is the better counterpuncher. And I also understand giving him credit for his fights against Roy. But all in all I cant her that "Who has Kessler beaten? Look at Tarvers great record" any more. Tarver lost a close decision to Roy, then knocked him out because he does have the tools to always be very dangerous against Jones and the third fight probably wasnt the same Jones. And what else? 1-1 against Johnson who is not elite good and 1-1 against Harding who isnt elite, either. Just like Mundine.

So Tarver has been in the ring with Jones and Hopkins. He seems to be kind of a nightmare stylewise for Jones although at least before that KO there would have always been the possibilty for a Jones W 12 and he didnt stand a chance against B-Hop. I dont see how thats better than being very competitive against Calzaghe and dominating solid and good other opponents.

This post has been edited by Blayde: Jan 10 2008, 08:52 AM

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 10 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 1,253

Oh, Im not talking about the Tarver that fought Merqui. Im talking the Tarver before Hopkins took his man hood.

+Quote Post
Nobudius
post Jan 10 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #64

Heavy...wait!

Member No.: 2,606

This thread should be retitled: Hopkins-Calzaghe in Vegas on April 12th? And are Tarver & Kessler Legit or Garbage? Or both?

I don't think we should be looking at JC or X's past opponents to use as a measuring stick here on what happens if/when they meet. Even at this stage........ X will probably be JC's most difficult opponent to date, which is kind of...... unfortunate.

For the guys that think X will take him into deep waters, aren't you guys a little bit concerned about the old man's age? It's at the stage where it does need to be accounted for.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 10 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #65

I dind't say anything about deep waters (not saying that was directed at me). I just think he's gonna beat him. Counter all night. Mug him. Rough him up. I believe Joe has great stamina. I think his style could get him beat up. Not a foregone conclusion. Ex will definitely have to pull the trigger.

+Quote Post
Nobudius
post Jan 10 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #66

Heavy...wait!

Member No.: 2,606

The "deep waters" comment is actually in reference to X's style now-like the old pitcher in the movie "Major League", with his bag of tricks.

I always thought a great counterpuncher would be able to defeat JC, & X is certainly capable of it, & has the style. But does he have the stamina to so call "pull the trigger"? There is NO doubt X is capable of solving the JC puzzle, but I question whether he'll be able to do it in time to score enough points for the "W". It sounds odd for a guy that has never done it, but if there were still 15 rounds, I would lean towards X in many of the current matchups. He can pace himself more efficiently in that scenario IMHO.

If the Taylor bouts were 15 rounds, Taylor may have eventually DROWNED. The problem with X there was, he thought the painting was finished when the canvas was too small to be completed.

I'm sure JC is aware of the recent Winky "mugging"-wonder if he will choose to "box" in spots? I don't like X's situation there, as he will give rounds away IMHO. X is going to have to set traps, & bait him in.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 10 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #67

Absolutely. Before the first bout, he likened it to a bull fight. He said once you see Jermain Taylor take his first step backwards it wil be the end. It was another eerily accurate prefight prediction by Hopkins, and once again it started to unravel exactly as he said it would. One major miscalculation on Hopkins' part - a bull fight goes on in perpituity until one of the parties is done...usually the bull. A sanctioned boxing match has time limits, and while Hopkins' prediction started to come true, he ran out of time. Many still though he had done enough to win a UD, neither here nor there.

I am not questioning whether Hopkins can pull the trigger in the championship rounds. I am talking about pulling the trigger throughout the entire fight. Not making Joe pay down the stretch, but rather making Joe pay in the first third of the fight...the way he made Trinidad, Tarver, Wright, Joppy, do. He doesn;t need to drown Joe. He doesn't need to stop Joe. He needs to score points whenever Joe leaves himself open...Joe will either wear down or he won't, but the points will count regardless...sorta like the Eastman fight. Hops landed lead left hooks, lead right hands, etc all night. Eastman took it all like a man, but the ponts still counted towards a lopsided victory for Hopkins.

I tend to think if Joe is as active as I think he'll be, we may see a Glen Johnson type of beating...a Trinidad type of beating.If Bernard gets Joe chasing him around the ring, stalking hi, he's gonna get picked off all night.

Fuck man, who knows.

The one question mark is whether Hopkins will be able to pull the trigger...see the openings and be able to capitalize. If he can, the fight is his. If he can't. we see him lose Taylor 1 type decision.

IMO.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 13 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #68

Guests

Fightnews:

Warren: Calzaghe-Hopkins done!

Saturday, January 12 2008

Looks like WBC/WBA/WBO super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe and longtime former middleweight champ Bernard Hopkins are good to go in an April light heavyweight clash, but the bout appears headed to Las Vegas instead of New York City's Yankee Stadium as originally discussed. "The deal's done and will be confirmed with the venue and date next week," Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren told the South Wales Argus. "The talks with Hopkins' representatives are almost over, and I've been told it's on April 12. The venue is not set in stone but it does look like the fight will be in Las Vegas." The leading candidates to host the event are reportedly the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay.

According to Warren, it's a done deal. Big fight, and I now look forward to it. Really hope Hopkins can prove me wrong though.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 13 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #69

These are the same stories that have been saying for the past 10 days that it is "done".

It ain't done until the contracts are signed and it's officially announced.

All these different sites are writing all these stories claiming it's done, yet, when you read the actual articles, no contracts are signed, no venue, etc.

I've been reading it's done now for about 10 days, and this latest Fightnews is based off of Frank Warren based off of...blah blah blah.

I got me a fat ass suite at Mandalay locked and loaded as a preemptive strike. If it don't happen, I'll cancel.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Jan 20 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #70

Welterweight

Member No.: 6,422

Just saw this on the front page of Boxingtalk. I had to laugh at his obvious "informercial" rambling on promoting the website....

GL: I got the call from the Golden CEO giving me the hottest boxing news in the world, that your fight with Joe Calzaghe is a done deal for April 19 in Vegas. The bigger news is that the fight will be televised on free HBO. Can you give us some thoughts on this?

Bernard Hopkins: "Yes, he finally signed. As the world of boxing has been aniticipating and waiting patiently for, he finally got the pen put into his hand by somebody on that side. Frank Warren, Jay Larkin or whoever is handling his business right now and it's a done deal. The media and the world and of course where the news comes from, and I'm saying where THE news comes accurate is Boxingtalk.com, where they give it to the fans as it develops and unfolds. Now I'm ready to give Joe Calzaghe something he hasn't experienced before and that's the letter L, for loss in that zero column. I'm ready to go and I'm ready to do whatever we have to do to put the world on notice that April 19 is execution day for the Welshman. Many will cross the Atlantic ocean to witness an execution on April 19

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsdown_anim.gif) @ the obvious whoring for the website. Wonder how much he got paid for that.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 11:23 AM