Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yamma Pit fighting Tournament, Friday April 11th in Atlantic City, NJ
TheWhiteBuffalo
post Feb 26 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #1

All Hail The Buffalo

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,298

I am pumped for the new YPF organization's first PPV event that is being held in Atlantic City. For those of you who have never heard of Yamma Pitfighting, it is an organization that was created by one of the UFC's founders Bob Meyrowitz. They are going back to the old tournament style of fighting like the old UFC days. One guys fights and then moves on to fight again the same night.

Yamma Pit fighting has also promoted that they will be fighting on a "totally new surface" that has never been done before. The main events feature Don "The Predator" Frye against Oleg Taktarov and Butterbean taking on Gary "Big Daddy" Goodrich.

Hey Electric Twinkie, I see your from Pennsylvania.....you gonna go see it live?? I am not sure when the tickets go on sale for this one.

Anyone have any thoughts on the format or any insight into this new "surface"?

Check out the website at Yamma Pit Fighting
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Feb 26 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #2

The Analyst

Member No.: 166

I doubt this will do good at all. But, you never know. Now with the exposure that UFC has gotten it just may. It will get started, do crappy, then Bob will sell it to Dana White for ten bucks and then Dana will turn it into something huge.

+Quote Post
ElectricTwinkie
post Feb 27 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 5,717

Oh wow! Don Frye?

Is he still alive? I saw a clip of him drunk fighting someone in a hotel lobby a while ago...

Atlantic Shity? I may just be up for it. It's probably in someone's basement with a cage made out of mattresses!!

+Quote Post
TheWhiteBuffalo
post Feb 27 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #4

All Hail The Buffalo

****Tickets on sale March 8th!!!****

YAMMA Pit Fighting, an upstart MMA promotion founded by UFC creator Bob Meyrowitz, has unveiled part of its debut fight card, which features a main event between Don Frye (19-6-1) and Oleg Taktarov (15-5-2), as well as an eight-man heavyweight tournament.

The event takes place April 11 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, N.J. The event airs on pay-per-view.

Frye and Taktarov will fight meet in what YAMMA executives call a “Masters Superfight.” The organization plans to feature “MMA’s most illustrious and legendary fighters” in these types of fights.

In addition to that one-on-one bout, YAMMA will host a heavyweight tournament that will include one-time UFC fighter Sherman Pendergarst (10-8), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt and world champion grappler Marcelo Pereira (5-0), Strikeforce veteran and former Indianapolis Colts lineman Rex Richards (4-1), FightFest up-and-comer Tony Sylvester (10-1), and UFC/PRIDE/IFL veteran Travis Wiuff (47-11).

The organization today stated that three additional tournament fighters will be announced in the next few weeks. However, the organization’s website lists undefeated Ohio prospect George Bush (5-0), undefeated Dakota Fighting Championships champ Chris Tuchscherer (10-0), and former BodogFIGHT competitor Alexey Oleynik (6-3).

A fight between super heavyweights Gary Goodridge (23-15-1) and Eric “Butterbean” Esch (10-5-1) is also listed on the site but was not announced in today’s release.

The tournament will require fighters to compete in up to three bouts in one night. However, the fights will use modified rules. Preliminary and semifinal fights last just one round of five minutes, and the tournament finale lasts three rounds of three minutes each. Advancing fighters must pass physical exams between each round of the tournament.

Frye competed in some of the earliest UFC events. He was the tournament winner at UFC 8 and at an Ultimate Ultimate 96 (“UFC 11.5”) event that took place in 1996. The former Arizona State University wrestler has competed in the UFC, PRIDE, K-1, King of the Cage and other top organizations. The 42-year-old last defeated Bryan Pardoe at a No Limit Fighting event in Dallas.

Taktarov made his MMA debut at UFC 5 and won the UFC 6 tournament, thanks to his background in Sambo and Judo. The 40-year-old Russian quit competing in 1998 for 10 years before returning this past November for a BodogFIGHT victory over John Marsh.

“Don Frye needs to do only two things: fly to Russia and stay there for 10 years to study Sambo,” Taktarov stated in today’s release. “Then, maybe he’ll be ready.“

Tickets for the show go on sale March 8 at all Ticketmaster locations.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Feb 27 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Cerebral Ape

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 5,390

Did you say Butterbean? Sweet.

+Quote Post
ElectricTwinkie
post Feb 29 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Super Bantamweight

Don Frye's last fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1hdqGbDLMg

This is the one I was looking for. Note he is in top condition. Also note his excellent technique. Please see how graceful his form is.... lol

+Quote Post
TheWhiteBuffalo
post Feb 29 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #7

All Hail The Buffalo

Damn....Don was drunk off of his ass. I read that the guy he was fighting had some affiliation with the WWE.

Back in the day, "The Predator" was the shit. It would be awesome to see another UFC Hall of Famer fighting on the Yamma card.

I will attend the event, and people will fear me when I wear my Yamma T-shirt and gear. Booooooyah biatches!

+Quote Post
Southeastpaw
post Feb 29 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #8

The Analyst

Member No.: 166

Where's Tank??????

+Quote Post
ElectricTwinkie
post Feb 29 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #9

Super Bantamweight

QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Feb 29 2008, 10:48 AM) [snapback]380600[/snapback]
Where's Tank??????

He's exactly the same place before and after the Kimbo fight- the bar.

+Quote Post
ElectricTwinkie
post Feb 29 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #10

Super Bantamweight

QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Feb 29 2008, 10:29 AM) [snapback]380595[/snapback]
Damn....Don was drunk off of his ass. I read that the guy he was fighting had some affiliation with the WWE.

Back in the day, "The Predator" was the shit. It would be awesome to see another UFC Hall of Famer fighting on the Yamma card.

I will attend the event, and people will fear me when I wear my Yamma T-shirt and gear. Booooooyah biatches!

Then I will buy a $0.50 sharpie marker and write "ha" after "yamma"

Everyone will fear the Yammaha!

I also read that after Don sobered up, he beat that guy into a pulp... But then again, I won't spread rumors about Don, because the next step is The Conscience telling us how Don was spotted raping stuffed animals and leading the PETA people on a cow killing rampage. Then StreetLion1 will tell us how Don is a bum, and Don's next opponent, "Kimbette" is the savior of the working class hoodrats.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:06 AM