IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 90s welterweights vs today's class...
PR316
post Mar 31 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Trinidad, Quartey, Whitaker, and De La Hoya against the likes of...

Floyd Mayweather
Miguel Cotto
Shane Mosley
Paul Williams
Antonio Margarito
Kermit Cintron
Carlos Quintana
Zab Judah

Styleswise, the most serious threat to Mayweather I would say would be a prime Trinidad, but Mayweather would probably outbox him and win via clear decision.

De La Hoya would give him a hell but the fight would probably turn out much like the 1st Mosley fight with Floyd being a step ahead the whole time.

Ike Quartey versus Miguel Cotto would have been one helluva a matchup, with Quartey possibly proving too strong for Miguel.

Trinidad and Margarito would have been one helluva fight thats for sure and I think Tito would have slaughtered him.

Lots of good matchups.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Apr 7 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

Ike was an extremely strong welter and one of my favorites but his chin was not the best. I think Cotto would take this one in a back and forth slugfest with both men tasting the canvas.

At 147 DLH was a hair faster and was better conditioned. I give him a good chance at edging Mayweather but I wouldn't bet on it.

Tito would have stopped Ike and Cotto in brutal fashion but would get outboxed by Mayweather.

Tito and DLH would beat any version of Williams and Margarito but IMO would struggle agianst the crafty Quintana.

Zab would get blown away by all of them at there primes..

This post has been edited by kidbazooka1: Apr 7 2008, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Apr 7 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 31 2008, 09:21 PM) [snapback]384713[/snapback]
What about Whitaker?

Whitaker was already slipping by the time Tito, DLH, and Ike peaked but he would still trouble anyone of the guys mentioned.

What about Jose Luis Lopez at his best the guy could crack with the best of em' and had one helluva chin.

This post has been edited by kidbazooka1: Apr 7 2008, 10:39 PM

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Apr 8 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Member No.: 1,443

I'd take Whitaker from late 1992 to 1995 over all of the other fighters mentioned in this thread at welterweight.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Apr 8 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

I think Quartey was physically stronger than Miguel Cotto. And Cotto didn't have the punching power of Lopez, or the fast hands of De La Hoya to catch Quartey off guard. I could see it playing out like the Quartey/Espana fight with Ike just wearing his opponent down in the end.

Prime Mosley vs Floyd Mayweather would be AWESOME... Possibly the hardest figh to pick out of all these intriguing matchups.

Jose Luis Lopez against Kermit Cintron would be explosive and probably short. Cintron is the one likely to get KO'd but he'd make it interesting.

I honestly think Trinidad and De La Hoya pummell Quintana. Especially Tito, who at 147 did rely more on his height and reach, jabbing, bodypunching, and putting shots together. Oscar would just be too much for him overall and he'd overwhelm Quintana with his hand speed.

What about Vernon Forrest vs Miguel Cotto??... I forgot to throw Forrest in that one but he certainly belongs I think.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Apr 8 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(PR316 @ Apr 8 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]385439[/snapback]
I think Quartey was physically stronger than Miguel Cotto. And Cotto didn't have the punching power of Lopez, or the fast hands of De La Hoya to catch Quartey off guard. I could see it playing out like the Quartey/Espana fight with Ike just wearing his opponent down in the end.
Prime Mosley vs Floyd Mayweather would be AWESOME... Possibly the hardest figh to pick out of all these intriguing matchups.
Jose Luis Lopez against Kermit Cintron would be explosive and probably short. Cintron is the one likely to get KO'd but he'd make it interesting.

I honestly think Trinidad and De La Hoya pummell Quintana. Especially Tito, who at 147 did rely more on his height and reach, jabbing, bodypunching, and putting shots together. Oscar would just be too much for him overall and he'd overwhelm Quintana with his hand speed.
What about Vernon Forrest vs Miguel Cotto??... I forgot to throw Forrest in that one but he certainly belongs I think.

I don't know I was never really sold on Forrest despite having Mosley's number he beat no one of significance. I think he'll put up good fights agianst Cotto, Quinatana and Ike but eventualy lose to all of them. Forrest/Quinatan can still happen if it does I see Carlos beating todays version of Forrest rather easly.

DLH would beat him comfortably, Tito stops him, and Whitaker and Mayweather box circels around him.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Apr 21 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

I would take the 90s welters over todays welters.

Mayweather being the only exception, but Im not sure how he would handle a prime, 147 Tito, who was an ANIMAL!

Too bad Tito never fought Quartey! Would have been a brutal affair!

I think Mosley, Cotto and Mayweather are the only legit guys out of that list for todays welters. But then again, Mosley at least was by far at his best at 135. Other than one fight against DLH, he has never impressed me at welter. Though I did have his fight with Cotto scored a draw.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Apr 21 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Guests

I think Mayweather handles Tito. Tito will struggle to land on Floyd. I still think one of the toughest fights for Floyd is Whitaker from the early 90's.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Apr 22 2008, 01:54 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

Yeh, no doubt the Whitaker fight would be close.

He would either easily outbox Tito, or he would be loose fairly easily.

+Quote Post
PR316
post May 1 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Mayweather beats Tito but Tito would be dangerous and very live in there.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:03 AM