IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CBS' EliteXC show tonight, No comment...
stateofthegame
post Jun 1 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #21

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 280

One more thing, I think that Cung Le and Ken Shamrock ruined the CBS telecast. I really believe that if Frank would have beat Le and Ken would have won than the Main Event would have been Shamrock vs Shamrock as both had already agreed to the fight before their last fights. It was being planned for this time frame anyway and I think that if that would have went through the ratings for this show would have been out the roof.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Jun 1 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #22

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

You only say that if you want the fight stopped. Remember Camacho Jr?

+Quote Post
sweetchuck
post Jun 1 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #23

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 2,758

Kimbo Slice is what he is. At least Gary Shaw is smart enough to match him against beatable competition. But that's the job of the promoter and trainer. You have got to remember this was only his third official MMA fight. He looked like it too. To be fair he shouldn't be compared to some of the top MMA fighters due to his inexperience. And do we have to watch him fight these lower level types to see if he could develop into a good fighter? Brock Lesnar at least took on a major challenge in Frank Mir in his UFC debut. Will Kimbo do something like that? No! In reality, if it wasn't for Youtube he would be making $800 plus a $200 win bonus for fights rather than six figures. That's all he's really worth without the hype. That's why there are a lot of top MMA fighters that don't like him because they have busted their ass for several years to make half of what Kimbo's getting paid. He's the Butterbean of MMA or a professional wrestler they decided to give a push to. I thought that referee was a disgrace in that fight, any other fighter caught in that cage taking unanswered punches and elbows that long would have been stopped and a very premature stoppage (when the fight was stopped).

I could always care less for the EliteXC announce team that reminds me of an 80's wrestling program. I found it funny that the announce team kept taking shots at boxing. If they are looking to flip fans from one sport you don't do it by dissing the other sport. It just seems to me that a lot of what EliteXC is doing is making MMA look bad and knocking it back to were it was 8 years ago. Honestly, if it wasn't for Gina Carano (I actually know her family) I wouldn't watch Elite XC. They seem like a really shady promotion as many non UFC promotions are.

This post has been edited by sweetchuck: Jun 1 2008, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post
hardhead
post Jun 1 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #24

Middleweight

Member No.: 77

QUOTE(sweetchuck @ Jun 1 2008, 06:39 PM) [snapback]391069[/snapback]
Kimbo Slice is what he is. At least Gary Shaw is smart enough to match him against beatable competition. But that's the job of the promoter and trainer. You have got to remember this was only his third official MMA fight. He looked like it too. To be fair he shouldn't be compared to some of the top MMA fighters due to his inexperience. And do we have to watch him fight these lower level types to see if he could develop into a good fighter? Brock Lesnar at least took on a major challenge in Frank Mir in his UFC debut. Will Kimbo do something like that? No! In reality, if it wasn't for Youtube he would be making $800 plus a $200 win bonus for fights rather than six figures. That's all he's really worth without the hype. That's why there are a lot of top MMA fighters that don't like him because they have busted their ass for several years to make half of what Kimbo's getting paid. He's the Butterbean of MMA or a professional wrestler they decided to give a push to. I thought that referee was a disgrace in that fight, any other fighter caught in that cage taking unanswered punches and elbows that long would have been stopped and a very premature stoppage (when the fight was stopped).

I could always care less for the EliteXC announce team that reminds me of an 80's wrestling program. I found it funny that the announce team kept taking shots at boxing. If they are looking to flip fans from one sport you don't do it by dissing the other sport. It just seems to me that a lot of what EliteXC is doing is making MMA look bad and knocking it back to were it was 8 years ago. Honestly, if it wasn't for Gina Carano (I actually know her family) I wouldn't watch Elite XC. They seem like a really shady promotion as many non UFC promotions are.

I agree, the taking shots at our sport is what burns me up and makes me not want to watch this crap, honestly it used to happen at least once or twice a telecast in UFC especially. Whatever happened to professionalism. I've never heard Lampley, Merchant(I think one time during the Mayweather/DLH) or Kellerman(who I've actually heard mention MMA a few times and was complimentary) diss MMA on the air like some of these MMA announcers do.

I thought Frank Shamrock did an excellent job with the commentary but the other two guys you could drop them in a fucking river they sucked so bad. I also don't care for all the theatrics but I guess people like all that shit...

I think the most of the fights were pretty good action wise, some of the stoppage were a tad early(except for the Lawler fight which was a plain bad one) but I think if anything had to do with that it was the CBS bigwigs who didn't want MMA to come across too raw or bloody etc..

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Jun 1 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #25

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

I don't expect anybody to agree with me in my opinion that the fight was fixed because it is a pretty far fetched claim and there will never be a way to prove it, but I do want to clarify my reasons why I think there was fix last night.

1. The first thing that caught my eye was the fact that James Thompson left ear looked like a horses testicle before the fight started and no one the anounce team mentions it until right before Kimbo targets it to get his win.

2. The ref was making some really questionable calls during the fight. I mean letting Kimbo just on the bottom of the GNP and not stopping the fight for that long was just blatant favoratism for a fighter IMO.

3. That thumbs up bullshit that Kimbo did when he was in trouble (from the guillotine and from the GNP) looked like it was his way of trying to get the Ref to come in save him from the situations. And oddly enough it was the ref that got him out of the choke and the only reason the ref didn't ball him out from the GNP is because it would have been to obvious.

OK I'm not going to argue but I strongly feel like Elite XC had a lot of safety nets in place to make sure that Kimbo got the W.

This post has been edited by The Conscience: Jun 1 2008, 02:35 PM

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jun 1 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #26

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(sweetchuck @ Jun 1 2008, 02:39 PM) [snapback]391069[/snapback]
They seem like a really shady promotion as many non UFC promotions are.

You make it sound like the UFC isn't shady.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

My thoughts...

Rogers vs. Murphy... went pretty much as I expected. Expect Murphy to be Kimbo's next opponent.

Villesanor vs. Baroni... again, as I expected. Baroni looked horrible in his loss to Kala Hose prior to this fight and even worse against Shamrock prior to that...three losses in a row...time to call it a career. Better to go out against a good fighter like Villesanor than to start getting whooped up by lesser fighters (a fate similar to Fernando Vargas, who looked horrendous against Ricardo Mayorga)

Carano vs. Young... the size disadvantage was obvious from the beginning when they showed the overhead shot of both fighters. It's hard for me to give Gina credit when she came in way overweight...kind of like it's difficut for me to give Castillo credit for his win over Chico...although they did give her a step up in competition, the victory is tainted with the fact that she didn't make weight. She did what she had to do though I guess. She did show a little improvement, but she also showed some flaws still...a much more technical fighter like Shayna Baszler would probably molly whop her ass if she were actually forced to make weight. I thought the stoppage was a tad bit premature, but I won't argue about it since it looked like the end was near for Young. Then again, this is MMA and you never know when someone is going to shock the world and pull off the sudden submission...Anderson Silva vs. Ryo Chonan comes to mind (for you newbies to the sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6D-_jAIvqs...eature=related)

Lawler vs. Smith... this fight was definitely stopped for no reason whatsoever. I feel like everyone tends to panic whenever there's a break in the action. Why couldn't they have given him a few minutes to see if the eye was okay? Seems odd to rush to such a quick decision during something as important as a title fight. Damn shame too because that was a pretty good stand-up fight. Ultimately, I thought Lawler was on his way to a victory. If he would have kept throwing those leg kicks to the body, he probably would have stopped Smith. Props to Smith though, who hung in there and battled back. Lawler looked comfortable in there though...I'm impressed with how he looks now compared to his final UFC days. Definitely needs to be a rematch, but I think Lawler will just finish what he started and ultimately stop Smith.

Slice vs. Thompson... GARBAGE! Kimbo has been exposed in my opinion. Thompson had soooooo many opportunities to get the full mount and just beat the crap out of Slice. At times, I thought Thompson was actually going out of his way NOT to win the fight. For a guy with such "devastating" knockout power, Kimbo sure didn't do much damage to a guy who's known for his suspect chin. He landed several flush shots and yet Thompson was still standing...PATHETIC. Even Butterbean iced Thompson in the first round. I really wish Bas Rutten would just distance himself from this cat. I was so impressed with Slice that I'd actually favor today's horribly obese Mike Tyson to knock him out.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jun 1 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #27

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jun 1 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]391078[/snapback]
3. That thumbs up bullshit that Kimbo did when he was in trouble (from the guillotine and from the GNP) looked like it was his way of trying to get the Ref to come in save him from the situations. And oddly enough it was the ref that got him out of the choke and the only reason the ref didn't ball him out from the GNP is because it would have been to obvious.
OK I'm not going to argue but I strongly feel like Elite XC had a lot of safety nets in place to make sure that Kimbo got the W.

That thumbs up shit looked EXTREMELY fishy.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Jun 1 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #28

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

To be fair, the Butterbean stoppage was BS also...I feel kinda bad for Thompson. He seems to get a raw deal often. I think it has something to do with his goofiness though. He hasn't mastered the technique of hiding the fact that he's hurt.

I'm kinda interested in Butterbean-Kimbo...

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Jun 1 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

Robbie Lawler and Scott smith was the fight of the night can't waite to see a rematch.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jun 1 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #30

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

True...true...I'm being a little harsh comparing that performance to Butterbean. To be fair, that was a BS stoppage too.

But STILL...they had this cat all over the place...at the freakin' Country Music Awards for crying out loud...billing him as some sort of wrecking machine when that's FAR from reality. If there was ever a better step up in competition for Slice, James Thompson was it and he should have been able to either A) knock him out cold or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) at least be able to handle himself on the ground without any problems. On the contrary, he got dominated on the ground (damn near could have been stopped, and probably would have been stopped had the tables been reversed and it was Slice on top dropping elbows on Thompson's head for over a minute). Now they're going to have an extremely difficult time finding a decent opponent for Slice's next fight.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 03:48 PM