IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prime Jones Jr vs Prime Sugar Ray Robinson at 168, Who wins and Why?
U.S. Champ
post Jul 3 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Junior Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,071

I would take Jones in that one based on his Flash KO power and elusiveness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 3 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Robinson never fought above 160 I believe, and I don't think he would have been able to fight effectively at 168. Meanwhile, 168 was Jones PRIME weight. He was truly a special fighter at that time. A freak of nature. Gotta go with Roy based on that, but in terms of all time greatness and accomplishments, its Robinson no doubt.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jul 3 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

I'd have to pick Roy....

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jul 4 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #4

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Roy would win!!!!

Roy was too big, too strong, too fast, and too athletic.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Jul 5 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

Yeh, I would have to take Roy at 168, just too slick, by decision.

Though I wouldn't like to see Roys face if he covered up on the ropes as he did at times and Ray unloaded those bomb combinations! If one of those left hooks landed, it wouldn't have been a pretty sight! Or that straight right used on Graziano! My god!

+Quote Post
Fuse
post Jul 26 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #6

Amateur

Member No.: 6,172

I think it would be an interesting fight. While weighing under 160 lbs., Robinson COMPLETELY dominated Joey Maxim (the light heavy champ) at a time when Robinson was slightly past his prime. I think Robinson was every bit as fast and as powerful as Jones, but Robinson, who already had over 130 fights, would've had the experience and overall boxing ability on Jones.

Hard to say what would've happened.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Jul 27 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

That being said, Maxim was no Roy Jones, he was a slug.

Past his prime when he fought Maxim? Other than past it as far as weight is concerned, he was still very much the force he had always been in his prime.

Once he came back from France, he was definately not quiet the same man.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 31 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #8

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(PR316 @ Jul 3 2008, 05:27 PM) [snapback]394757[/snapback]
Robinson never fought above 160 I believe, and I don't think he would have been able to fight effectively at 168. Meanwhile, 168 was Jones PRIME weight. He was truly a special fighter at that time. A freak of nature. Gotta go with Roy based on that, but in terms of all time greatness and accomplishments, its Robinson no doubt.

Robinson fought for the light heavyweight belt but was closer to 160..If the fight was 168,he would weigh what he wanted to weigh and not 168,but around 160..Robinson,no doubt in my mind would beat Roy..Robinson is the best fighter ever in boxing..I think it'd be better to compare this fight at 160,cause you could still say that Robinson was still priming at 160 but when he fought for the light heavyweight belt,he was at the very end of his career..Roy is one of the best of all time and a freak of nature,but Ray Robinson is the absolute complete fighter..Ray and Roy are both very smart fighters but I think Ray has fought the harder fights..Also,you would have to decide on if the fight was a 15 round fight or 12..Roy would have a better chance if it was a 12 round fight..I think Ray Robinson would win on a UD at 160 lbs..Ray Robinson would be able to fight effectively at almost any weight though in my opinion based on his ring smarts and footwork..He footwork was AMAZING!!!Whenever I watch tapes to study footwork for myself to work on,Ray Robinson all the way..Hell,he was a dancin man!!haha..This is all based on if the fight was at 160,not 168..

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 31 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Prime Roy's weight wasn't 160 so it wouldn't be fair to him to put this at that weight. Roy didn't really hit his prime until the Toney fight.

But as FIGHTERS, I do think Robinson was better. He fought the better competition, faced every type of opponent, and while in his prime, managed to beat them all. Very limited footage exists on Robinson, and its extremely difficult to get any good stuff on his welterweight fights. A bit is available, and in that small bit you can see the greatness. At the very beginning of Robinson's middleweight career he was great, but after the trip to France, he was definitely on the decline(Perhaps all the womanizing and partying finally caught up to him).

Now the Robinson that beat Lamotta in the St Valentines Day Massacre against the Jones that beat Hopkins???.... I'll say Robby by competitive UD but again, its not fair to Roy because Roy at 160 wasn't quite the Roy Jones we grew to know(If not love).

But without a shadow of a doubt, Robinson is the greater fighter. Roy was arguably more talented overall, but Robinson accomplished more.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 31 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #10

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(PR316 @ Jul 31 2008, 07:58 PM) [snapback]398342[/snapback]
Prime Roy's weight wasn't 160 so it wouldn't be fair to him to put this at that weight. Roy didn't really hit his prime until the Toney fight.
But as FIGHTERS, I do think Robinson was better. He fought the better competition, faced every type of opponent, and while in his prime, managed to beat them all.
Now the Robinson that beat Lamotta in the St Valentines Day Massacre against the Jones that beat Hopkins???.... I'll say Robby by competitive UD but again, its not fair to Roy because Roy at 160 wasn't quite the Roy Jones we grew to know(If not love).
But without a shadow of a doubt, Robinson is the greater fighter. Roy was arguably more talented overall, but Robinson accomplished more.

I agree with ya man..It'd be hard to say who'd beat who since they both were never really in the same weight class..All ya can do is imagine..It wouldn't be fair to either one of them to chose a weight class they one was better at and the other wasn't..I do have to go with Robinson no matter what though..

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 12:31 PM