Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MIGUEL COTTO, I will return!!!
JD
post Jul 27 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #11

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

Cotto will be back, but I have a hunch he won't quite be the same fighter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 27 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Fighters are rarely the same after a big loss. Its like a mental block of some sort that just takes over them it seems that doesn't allow them to be as loose as they once were in the ring.

Be that as it may, I still dont see Margarito as an opponent that Cotto CAN'T beat. I don't think Margarito can do anything different but Cotto can do a few little things different so that he could possibly pull off a decision victory.

But I doubt Arum lets Cotto near Margarito anytime soon anyways. I see both guys taking on different paths for the moment and if Cotto is able to resurrect himself in the way Kostya Tszyu did after losing to Vince Phillips, then maybe down the line we can see this one again.

+Quote Post
JD
post Jul 27 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #13

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

I don't know if I would say "rarely".

The nature of this loss is where my concern comes from...Cotto had it beaten out of him to the point where he was forced to kneel in from of Margarito in order to get him to stop. Cotto fought as well as he could have and would have beaten any other welter last night - he just ran into someone who was not going to be denied, and he took a beating in the process.

+Quote Post
Boxingjunkie
post Jul 27 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #14

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE(PR316 @ Jul 27 2008, 08:35 PM) [snapback]397591[/snapback]
But I doubt Arum lets Cotto near Margarito anytime soon anyways.

Thats a great point about Arum. Wonder what he plans to do now that his main star has lost (Next to Pacquiao). Arum never really gave Margarito his props over all these years. You know Arum didnt think that Margarito would win that fight. I bet he sucks up big time to Margarito now.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jul 27 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(JD @ Jul 27 2008, 10:04 PM) [snapback]397594[/snapback]
The nature of this loss is where my concern comes from...Cotto had it beaten out of him to the point where he was forced to kneel in from of Margarito in order to get him to stop. Cotto fought as well as he could have and would have beaten any other welter last night - he just ran into someone who was not going to be denied, and he took a beating in the process.

I've watched the last 2 rounds of this fight enough times today to say without a shadow of a doubt that Cotto WILL BE A LESSER FIGHTER GOING FORWARD. There's no way he's ever going to have the confidence he had before Margarito. And without that confidence, Cotto will never be Cotto again. It's very very sad, but undeniable.

This post has been edited by salvador: Jul 27 2008, 10:07 PM

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 27 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

QUOTE(JD @ Jul 28 2008, 02:04 AM) [snapback]397594[/snapback]
I don't know if I would say "rarely".

That can't be denied. On that night, will definitely did triumph over skill. Cotto boxed as well as I've ever seen him arguably but I think he could have clinched a bit more, especially when Margarito got him trapped on the ropes. Cotto would only clinch after getting hurt. I think if he does that and uses his jab a bit more from the outside, I could see a different outcome if there is a next time.

As far as Cotto recovering from this one I honestly can't say. He's still young and has a few more prime years left in him I want to say. But one thing for sure is that I expect him to be thrown in there with lots of soft touches for a long time until he challenges for another title. Expect him to be kept away from "punchers" for a good while.

QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Jul 28 2008, 02:17 AM) [snapback]397596[/snapback]
Thats a great point about Arum. Wonder what he plans to do now that his main star has lost (Next to Pacquiao). Arum never really gave Margarito his props over all these years. You know Arum didnt think that Margarito would win that fight. I bet he sucks up big time to Margarito now.

I expect Cotto to be fed alot of soft opposition for a long time. We'll learn alot about Cotto now thats for sure. Margarito IMO doesn't have it too good because...

A- Oscar won't fight him.

B- Not alot of welterweights would wanna fight him.

C- Paul Williams is still there willing and able to give him another loss.

Margarito will hopefully get the chance to see some real money now. If I were Tony, I would do my damn best to try and entice Floyd Mayweather out of retirement because I don't see Oscar taking either him or Miguel Cotto.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Jul 28 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(JD @ Jul 27 2008, 08:26 PM) [snapback]397588[/snapback]
Cotto will be back, but I have a hunch he won't quite be the same fighter.

I actualy think Cotto will come bacl stronger from this loss I just don't see him taking on Marga any time soon but I say he beats most other 147lb's out there rignth now.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jul 28 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #18

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Cotto looked sensational IMO....what combos he was landing...Marg isnt the hardest fighter to find but Cotto showed mad skills. He is one of the best fighters to watch today...him, Pac, Marquez brothers, Floyd, JuanMa Lopez, P-Will, Taylor, Pavlik Margarito, Vazquez, Judah, Montiel

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jul 28 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

I like Luis Collazo as an opponent for Cotto. I think Cotto should take the rest of this year off. Heal up, spend some money and come back. Right now there is no pressure on him to return. When he does, take on the bottom guy of the top 10 and see where you are.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jul 28 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 27 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]397602[/snapback]
I've watched the last 2 rounds of this fight enough times today to say without a shadow of a doubt that Cotto WILL BE A LESSER FIGHTER GOING FORWARD. There's no way he's ever going to have the confidence he had before Margarito. And without that confidence, Cotto will never be Cotto again. It's very very sad, but undeniable.

I liken this to when Tyson got beat for the 1st time. Maybe not quite on teh same scale because people thought Tyson was unbeatable. Cotto was vulnerable. He definately left something in that ring the other nite. I think he can come back and beat most of the top 10. He will always have trouble with the bigger WW's.

Come to think of it, this guy has been in some incredible wars as of late. Judah was a war. Mosley was a war. Margarito was a war. He'd be good to take a long break. He's taken alot of punishment in the last year or so. How much of himself has he left in the ring in the last year?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:09 PM