IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Williams-Clottey, How Come this Fight Hasn't Been Made?
salvador
post Nov 15 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

Is there any obvious reason that Williams-Clottey hasn't been made? It would seem like the easiest/most natural fight to make in the division. These are two guys that nobody particularly wants to fight and I'm sure that HBO would love to air it.

Does it just come down to Goosen-Arum?

I mean, I like Verno Phillips, but Clottey would be a much more competitive fight for Williams. And I would think that Williams would love another big name ww on his resume to further establish his supremecy in the division.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Douchebag
post Nov 15 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 15 2008, 12:40 PM) [snapback]411127[/snapback]
Is there any obvious reason that Williams-Clottey hasn't been made? It would seem like the easiest/most natural fight to make in the division. These are two guys that nobody particularly wants to fight and I'm sure that HBO would love to air it.

Does it just come down to Goosen-Arum?

I mean, I like Verno Phillips, but Clottey would be a much more competitive fight for Williams. And I would think that Williams would love another big name ww on his resume to further establish his supremecy in the division.

Since when is Clottey a big name. Clottey=overhyped IMO.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Nov 15 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Nov 15 2008, 03:52 PM) [snapback]411132[/snapback]
Since when is Clottey a big name. Clottey=overhyped IMO.

Clottey would destroy every fighter Williams has ever been in with - except for Marg (though he was beating Marg comfortably before breaking his hand). And he's certainly more of a threat than than Quintana, Kolle, or Phillips.

I think that Clottey handled Judah in an even more impressive fashion than Cotto did. You could argue that Judah's spirit was permanently shattered by Cotto (and that maybe so), but Judah didn't even try to beat Clottey because he learned early on in the fight that he couldn't hurt Clottey and he got countered so frequently with such heavy shots.

I think Clottey is the most competitive fight out there right now for Williams, unless Williams is going to fight Pavlik or Winky. Because nobody with a name from 154 down will be getting in the ring with Paul anytime soon.

This post has been edited by salvador: Nov 15 2008, 03:31 PM

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Nov 15 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 15 2008, 03:08 PM) [snapback]411133[/snapback]
Clottey would destroy every fighter Williams has ever been in with - except for Marg (though he was beating Marg comfortably before breaking his hand). And he's certainly more of a threat than than Quintana, Kolle, or Phillips.

I think that Clottey handled Judah in an even more impressive fashion than Cotto did. You could argue that Judah's spirit was permanently shattered by Cotto (and that maybe so), but Judah didn't even try to beat Clottey because he learned early on in the fight that he couldn't hurt Clottey and he got countered so frequently with such heavy shots.

I think Clottey is the most competitive fight out there right now for Williams, unless Williams is going to fight Pavlik or Winky. Because nobody with a name from 154 down will be getting in the ring with Paul anytime soon.

So what Clottey is a lightheavy weight that can't KO a fucking Lightweight (Corrales). His most impressive outing was LOSING to Margarito. Yeah, maybe he is the best guy that would actually fight PW but he is getting hyped up a little too much for my taste. I will go on record and say that Cotto would expose that BAMMA.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Nov 15 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Nov 15 2008, 06:07 PM) [snapback]411146[/snapback]
I will go on record and say that Cotto would expose that BAMMA.

I'll go on record too by saying that Cotto will never fight Clottey. If, by some miracle, Cotto gets past Marg, Cotto's fighting DLH, Pacquiao, Hatton, or Floyd (or maybe all of them) and then retiring. Clottey is way too much risk for Cotto and Arum ain't got no interest in seeing Cotto go down again unless Arum's making a ton of money watching it happen. And Clottey ain't a money fighter.

For Clottey and Williams and Cintron, all they really have is each other at 147.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Nov 15 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 15 2008, 05:14 PM) [snapback]411148[/snapback]
I'll go on record too by saying that Cotto will never fight Clottey. If, by some miracle, Cotto gets past Marg, Cotto's fighting DLH, Pacquiao, Hatton, or Floyd (or maybe all of them) and then retiring. Clottey is way too much risk for Cotto and Arum ain't got no interest in seeing Cotto go down again unless Arum's making a ton of money watching it happen. And Clottey ain't a money fighter.

For Clottey and Williams and Cintron, all they really have is each other at 147.

Be that as it may, Cotto would still put a woopin on Joshua. Don't let the Margarito fight fool you. The only reason Cotto couldn't win that fight is because Tony took the Body attack away. This is something that Clottey can't duplicate. Cotto would punish him for 12 rounds and win comfortable UD.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Nov 15 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Cotto might take Clottey and he might not, but the difference is that Cotto ain't getting anywhere near Williams whereas Clottey might. And so Williams has to figure out if staying at 147 is even worth it. Because all Williams has at ww is Clottey or Cintron, and between the two, Clottey is definitely the better name.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Nov 15 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Guests

Yep, let the two guys that Margarito doesn't want to rematch and let them battle it out.

I agree that Clottey gets unnecessary hype. From what I have seen, he is a nice fighter but like the Conscience, I think he gets hype. I always think it's kind of ridiculous when someones best performance is a 'loss' before you start mentioning his 'wins'.
Good fighter, but so far his best win is against Judah at welter. Based on that win, he gets a hell of a lot of respect.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Nov 15 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Clottey is really good! BUt not elite! He would be a tough outing for either guys. (MArgarito, Williams, and Cotto) but i dont think he wins either fight!

+Quote Post
slap
post Nov 16 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Strawweight

Member No.: 7,526

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 15 2008, 03:08 PM) [snapback]411133[/snapback]

1st off what big names are at 154 2nd off I'm pretty sure I can beat everybody williams has fought because nobody wants 2 fight the man yeah clotty would fight him but I think paul might tko him and cintron had his chance but he turned the fight down 2 lose a 2nd fight with margarito and I don't think paul can beat winky so maybe he will have 2 just wait it out and wait until people start losing and need a money fight and he can get everyones sloppy 2nd.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 01:39 AM