IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Williams-Clottey, How Come this Fight Hasn't Been Made?
salvador
post Nov 16 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,307

Slap,

at 154 I'd say DLH, Forrest, Spinks, and Mayorga are all big names that would look good on Williams' resume. Of those guys, the only realistic shots for Williams would be Forrest or Spinks. I think it's safe to say that the only way Mayorga gets back in the ring is if it's a big money fight with Marg - a fight I'd LOVE to see. Spinks is a decent name and has proven his willingness to fight anyone, but it's just such a bad stylistic matchup for Spinks that it's hard for me to imagine that there's enough money there for him with Williams. Which leaves Forrest.

Forrest is another guy who is clearly angling for one last big fight and maybe he sees Williams as his last hurdle to getting that fight. Between Forrest and Clottey, I think that Clottey is a bigger name and he's a ww.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Nov 16 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

Cotto aint beatin Clottey. Clottey is too durable, has fast hands and good defense. He is also an outstanding counterpuncher. Its more likely that Cotto gould get hit with alot of punches that he didnt see coming.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Nov 16 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 16 2008, 10:10 AM) [snapback]411254[/snapback]
Cotto aint beatin Clottey. Clottey is too durable, has fast hands and good defense. He is also an outstanding counterpuncher. Its more likely that Cotto gould get hit with alot of punches that he didnt see coming.

I agree with you and so does Arum, which is why Clottey-Cotto won't ever happen. Cotto's just too small.

Clottey really does need to fight Williams if he ever wants to stake his claim in the division.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Nov 16 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #14

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 16 2008, 08:43 AM) [snapback]411252[/snapback]
Slap,

at 154 I'd say DLH, Forrest, Spinks, and Mayorga are all big names that would look good on Williams' resume. Of those guys, the only realistic shots for Williams would be Forrest or Spinks. I think it's safe to say that the only way Mayorga gets back in the ring is if it's a big money fight with Marg - a fight I'd LOVE to see. Spinks is a decent name and has proven his willingness to fight anyone, but it's just such a bad stylistic matchup for Spinks that it's hard for me to imagine that there's enough money there for him with Williams. Which leaves Forrest.

Forrest is another guy who is clearly angling for one last big fight and maybe he sees Williams as his last hurdle to getting that fight. Between Forrest and Clottey, I think that Clottey is a bigger name and he's a ww.

Clottey doesn't have the long arms that Marg has got to keep Cotto off of his body. It doesn't matter how durable you are if Cotto connects cleanly to your body, you WILL fold. Clottey is just a very big welter, but he is VERY average.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Nov 16 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Nov 16 2008, 10:36 AM) [snapback]411258[/snapback]
Clottey doesn't have the long arms that Marg has got to keep Cotto off of his body. It doesn't matter how durable you are if Cotto connects cleanly to your body, you WILL fold. Clottey is just a very big welter, but he is VERY average.

Cotto didn't have any trouble landing punches on Marg, he just chose to go upstairs in order to keep from getting countered. Cotto couldn't hurt Marg because Marg was so much bigger and stronger - and Clottey is at least as solid and strong as Marg.

The only way Cotto beats Clottey is if he outboxes him from the outside - someting Cotto couldn't do with Marg because of Marg's reach and stamina (100 punches a round) advantages. If Cotto tried to blow through Clottey by attacking his body all night, Cotto would get countered and beaten - probably badly.

+Quote Post
MarzB
post Nov 16 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

Good thread, i never thought about this fight. First off, Cotto is no given over Clottey and save for boxing fans can someone point to how Clottey is even remotely discussed much less overrated? If anything he's really the guy people don't want to fight.

Williams is rattling his mouth off a bit too much and I think Clottey is the one that could knock his block off. One thing Margarito did with "some" success against Williams was go to his body. I could easily see Clottey duplicating that.

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Nov 16 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #17

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 4,102

QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 16 2008, 12:07 PM) [snapback]411286[/snapback]
Good thread, i never thought about this fight. First off, Cotto is no given over Clottey and save for boxing fans can someone point to how Clottey is even remotely discussed much less overrated? If anything he's really the guy people don't want to fight.

Williams is rattling his mouth off a bit too much and I think Clottey is the one that could knock his block off. One thing Margarito did with "some" success against Williams was go to his body. I could easily see Clottey duplicating that.

You make some good points MarzB .... But I would disagree with your thoughts on a Clotty\Williams fight. Clotty won't get anywhere near Williams body ... mainly because williams knows how to work that jab and Clotty will catch alot of leather trying to get to that body.

Williams will beat Clotty, Cotto and Margarito again. The guy is getting more and more confident every fight ... and even though he lost to Quintana by DECISION, he learned alot from that fight and it has carried over to every fight he's had since.

Williams is in a punishing mood & mode right now ... And many with at least one eye open can see that. That's why nobody at WW wants to sign the dotted line.
!

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Nov 16 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 16 2008, 10:37 AM) [snapback]411275[/snapback]
Cotto didn't have any trouble landing punches on Marg, he just chose to go upstairs in order to keep from getting countered. Cotto couldn't hurt Marg because Marg was so much bigger and stronger - and Clottey is at least as solid and strong as Marg.

The only way Cotto beats Clottey is if he outboxes him from the outside - someting Cotto couldn't do with Marg because of Marg's reach and stamina (100 punches a round) advantages. If Cotto tried to blow through Clottey by attacking his body all night, Cotto would get countered and beaten - probably badly.

Not true..............In the middle rounds when Cotto realized that he would actually have to fight Toney to win tried to bear down and dig to the body only to have the shots land either on Tony's elbows or called low by the ref. It was this and only this that got Tony that W and is the reason that I would favor Tony in the rematch. Clottey doesn't have that advantage over Cotto. Cotto would win, easily.

This post has been edited by The Conscience: Nov 16 2008, 12:52 PM

+Quote Post
salvador
post Nov 16 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Nov 16 2008, 01:49 PM) [snapback]411296[/snapback]
Not true..............In the middle rounds when Cotto realized that he would actually have to fight Toney to win tried to bear down and dig to the body only to have the shots land either on Tony's elbows or called low by the ref. It was this and only this that got Tony that W and is the reason that I would favor Tony in the rematch. Clottey doesn't have that advantage over Cotto. Cotto would win, easily.

Well, as usual, we disagree.

I think the only reason Cotto lost to Marg is because Marg is bigger and stronger and has a chin made of granite and throws 100 punches a round and Cotto is too small for him. It didn't matter what Cotto did (he landed more home run punches on Marg's chin than I could count), he couldn't hurt the bigger man. And Clottey is just as big and solid as Marg.

I hope that Clottey Cotto happens. They're both managed by Arum so it should be easy to make, but we both know that Arum doesn't have any interest in taking that risk with his moneymaker.

Clottey needs to fight Williams.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Nov 16 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 17 2008, 08:00 AM) [snapback]411308[/snapback]
Well, as usual, we disagree.

I think the only reason Cotto lost to Marg is because Marg is bigger and stronger and has a chin made of granite and throws 100 punches a round and Cotto is too small for him. It didn't matter what Cotto did (he landed more home run punches on Marg's chin than I could count), he couldn't hurt the bigger man. And Clottey is just as big and solid as Marg.

Cotto didn't lose to Margarito because he couldn't hurt him. He lost to him because he couldn't hurt him AND Margarito comes back with 100 punches a round and goes to the body.
Clottey doesn't win just because Cotto can't hurt him. You think very little of Cotto and think very highly of Clottey. You are acting like it's a given that Clottey beats him, when in fact it should be a close fight. I have noticed for sometime, but I don't like how you act like this is a mismatch.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 10:19 AM