Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thompson Out, Oquendo In...
The Original MrF...
post Dec 6 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

I would have liked to see how Toney dealt with a guy that size. If he won a decision against Thompson, maybe one of the Klits would have set up a fight with him. Fres Oquendo does nothing for him but get him a few rounds... Funny though, Fres may beat him, now that I think of it...

This post has been edited by The Original MrFactor: Dec 6 2008, 03:48 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Dec 6 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,304

QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 6 2008, 04:47 PM) [snapback]414468[/snapback]
I would have liked to see how Toney dealt with a guy that size. If he won a decision against Thompson, maybe one of the Klits would have set up a fight with him. Fres Oquendo does nothing for him but get him a few rounds... Funny though, Fres may beat him, now that I think of it...

For sure! I've been waiting about 5 years now to see JT in with a very tall, super longed reach opponent...to see how that size difference comes into play.

At last I thought I had gotten it....only to have the rug pulled out from under me.

Fres is still not an easy win.....he is pretty quick and will use a jab, and he has a little pop....

For a quick substitution....he's not a bad choice....but I still would have liked them to sub a tall huge guy instead....like McBride or Fields would have been nice.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 6 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #13

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Thompson would have won every single round in a very boring fight!

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Dec 6 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #14

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 6 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]414513[/snapback]
Thompson would have won every single round in a very boring fight!

No fucking way!!! We are talking about the same guy who looked like shit against Klit? That Thompson was going to win every round against Toney? Man, I am really starting to wonder about you when it comes to heavyweights. First Arreola, no you take a shot at Toney. Thompson did the smart thing by pulling out of the fight,saved him a beating, now the beating will be for Fres. James Toney=most complete fighter in history of boxing(minus eating habits)!

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 6 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #15

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 6 2008, 08:38 PM) [snapback]414526[/snapback]
No fucking way!!! We are talking about the same guy who looked like shit against Klit? That Thompson was going to win every round against Toney? Man, I am really starting to wonder about you when it comes to heavyweights. First Arreola, no you take a shot at Toney. Thompson did the smart thing by pulling out of the fight,saved him a beating, now the beating will be for Fres. James Toney=most complete fighter in history of boxing(minus eating habits)!

LOL...

I respect your Loyalty.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Dec 7 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #16

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Dec 6 2008, 05:39 AM) [snapback]414434[/snapback]
Yeah as I said Jonny the physical side of Fres is no concern, in fact he has enough tools to have already won a strap by now.

I question is mental ability.

Now I know you're a boxer yourself so you might argue this a bit but the maxim with most sport is that is 80% mental 20% physical. Evander is a great example of this, there were plenty of times where he just literally WILLED himself to win.

a guy like Toney, he's a natural born fighter, he bleeds boxing, now Fres I'm sure he is a very hard worker and all the rest but from what I've seen i'm not 100% convinced he has the killer instinct to get over the top.

this fight may well prove it, but I think James has too many old school tools and old school moves for Fres, especially the mental side.

We shall see, I know you'll be pulling for Fres since he's a friend but if you're being brutally honest about his career you'd have to say he hasn't delivered on his potential.

Actually I think boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical..

I agree with ya on your comments about Fres..He a real cool,nice guy..Fres will give almost everyone problems because of his unique style just like Toney so I'm not sure how I see this fight playing out..Toney has more skills no doubt but Fres is still looking fresh for the most part and still has his speed..

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Dec 7 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #17

The Savage

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 6 2008, 09:38 PM) [snapback]414526[/snapback]
No fucking way!!! We are talking about the same guy who looked like shit against Klit?

Thompson's jab is NO JOKE..Thompson is the only guy who could of went jab for jab with Klitchko..Klitchko has a quicker jab though..He didn't look like shit against Klitchko but did get whooped in the end..

+Quote Post
Michigan Assassi...
post Dec 10 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #18

Featherweight

Member No.: 1,341

QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 6 2008, 07:23 PM) [snapback]414510[/snapback]
For sure! I've been waiting about 5 years now to see JT in with a very tall, super longed reach opponent...to see how that size difference comes into play.

At last I thought I had gotten it....only to have the rug pulled out from under me.

Fres is still not an easy win.....he is pretty quick and will use a jab, and he has a little pop....

For a quick substitution....he's not a bad choice....but I still would have liked them to sub a tall huge guy instead....like McBride or Fields would have been nice.

I've wanted to see it since the Holyfield victory. I had tickets to the fight against Jameel McCline before James blew out his achilles.

Hopefully if he gets past Fast Fres we'll get to see him in there with one of the taller heavies.

+Quote Post
Michigan Assassi...
post Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #19

Featherweight

Member No.: 1,341

JT weighed in at 230. Not great but shows he's working to get his weght down.

Hopefully, JT has a nice performance and the fight doesn't suck, so he can work towards a title shot.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Dec 12 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #20

The Savage

QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 12 2008, 10:04 PM) [snapback]416090[/snapback]
JT weighed in at 230. Not great but shows he's working to get his weght down.

Hopefully, JT has a nice performance and the fight doesn't suck, so he can work towards a title shot.

230 is a lot better than I thought..I'm actually a lot more pumped for the fight now knowing this..

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:31 PM