IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To those who are mocking DLH as a "quitter", step inside......
BigG
post Dec 7 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Well this is the same compubox that had Joe Calzaghe landing 230 punches on Bernard Hopkins.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Dec 7 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #22

Welterweight

Member No.: 6,422

QUOTE(thehype @ Dec 7 2008, 05:58 PM) [snapback]415042[/snapback]
.even Chris Byrd wanted to go on after the shellacking he took from Shaun George)

*puts Hype on ignore*

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
salvador
post Dec 7 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE(thehype @ Dec 7 2008, 06:58 PM) [snapback]415042[/snapback]
I don't recall too many people bashing him for quitting....but technically speaking, he did quit on his stool.

For the record though, I have seen other fighters take far worse beatings, and yet, they still beg and plead to allow the fight to continue (Arturo Gatti comes to mind...or Diego Corrales...even Chris Byrd wanted to go on after the shellacking he took from Shaun George)...but I'm not going to label De La Hoya a "quitter" as though he just said, "fuck it...I've had enough," a la Acelino Freitas. He was taking a beating and there really wasn't any point of continuing if he wasn't going to throw any punches back. That being said, I do kind of feel like mentally, he quit after the second or third round. Pretty much from the fourth round on, he didn't throw any punches or even attempt to rough Pacquiao up by mugging him, leaning on him or doing whatever it took to put hands on him. He just kind of shut everything down after the third round and allowed Pacquiao to tee off on him as he just walked right into punches and/or covered up like a little kid.

But again, I wouldn't label him a "quitter"...but at some point in that fight, he did just kind of give up without putting up much of a fight.

Just my opinion though...but I'm not bashing him for it...I think it's kind of sad to see a once proud champion be reduced to the site we saw on Saturday. If I were a De La Hoya fan, I'd probably feel just like all those old timers who watched Marciano whip up on Louis.

I'd add Azumah Nelson in the Sanchez fight, Vargas in the Tito fight and Tito in the Hopkins fight.

And like you I would never blame DLH for quitting because his bravery is beyond question, but he did quit when others would have gone on, and I doubt he would have quit if he was 22 years old. He just became an old man in one night.

It's too bad for DLH and his fans, but he is 36.

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 7 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,253

Shit man, 36 is the new 26 in boxing.

+Quote Post
KookedKrack
post Dec 7 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #25

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 5,468

QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]415059[/snapback]
Shit man, 36 is the new 26 in boxing.

for anyone not named Bernard Hopkins i don't thing this applies lol

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Dec 7 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #26

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

I see nothing wrong with a fighter saying he's had enough.

He's the one taking the punches. Not us sitting on the couch watching.

A man can only take so much. Some are willing to take more than others.

It doesn't make him any less of a man.

Maybe the cross dressing does....... But not quitting in the ring.

+Quote Post
Thegreatequalize...
post Dec 7 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #27

Featherweight

Member No.: 1,603

well, it is kind of shitty to charge hard working people $50 a pop just to take your $20 million (or whatever he made) and not give it your all. but, i guess, technically it might've been worth the $50 to watch that prick get his ass whipped.

that being said, the "excuse" that he'll eventually come out with will most likely be the weight. he probably drained himself to make weight and didn't have the juice when he got in the ring. i believe if this is the excuse that he uses that it actually is a legitimate excuse for him as far as him not delivering in the ring. but all boxers, i'm sure, are aware of some of the dangers that go along with cutting weight, so it's not an excuse that lets him off the hook for getting beat.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 7 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #28

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

He didn't drain himself to make weight obviously since his fighting weight and weigh in weight were virtually the same.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 7 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #29

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 7 2008, 09:00 PM) [snapback]415076[/snapback]
He didn't drain himself to make weight obviously since his fighting weight and weigh in weight were virtually the same.

He lost far too much weight and I do believe he drained to make weight! Fuck the unofficial weight!

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Dec 7 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #30

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Dec 7 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]415028[/snapback]
All of this disrespect is ridiculous. Are you guys boxing fans or sadists?

It doesn't matter what you're assumptions are on the man's character. You shouldn't judge someone you really know nothing about.

DLH was a great fighter, and his time has now come to an end. He's given us some great, historic fights. Give him some respect.

Exactly man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

This shit is ridiculous..

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 08:00 AM