Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting a "Training/Boxing Tips" Forum, Given all the "pugs" on the board
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #21

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

Fitz...the problem with weights is they increase fatigue...it sucks, but it's true.

Bigger muscles require more oxygen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 6 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #22

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

You got it. Training Tips forum is up and located in the Other Hype section. I'll move this thread over there.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #23

The Prime Minista

Thanks Hype!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #24

The Prime Minista

QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 6 2009, 10:05 AM) [snapback]424112[/snapback]
I agree to an extent, it really depends on the type of program you use though.

I would LOVE to see Mackie's workout program...that guy is a genius. No doubt!

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Feb 6 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #25

SKULLSPLITTER

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,665

New section....cool....

Let me add my 2 cents....I haven't done a push up in 5 years and am built like a post prime, Larry Holmes...lol

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #26

The Prime Minista

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I guess that's better than Butterbean...

(IMG:http://topsportcollections.com/images/305-422452.jpg)

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Feb 6 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #27

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

Ok, since weights are introduced here, I'll give my opinion. There is nothing wrong with weight training for fighters. The quickest human I have ever seen used weights at least 4 time a week (Bruce Lee). Check out his book, The Art of Expressing the Human Body. My suggestion is you have to run and you have to stretch or you will become stiff. I have sparred with a lot of guys who lift weights and they are the easiest people to beat. They aren't flexible and their arms get tired after 1 or two rounds. You should also add swimming if you're going to lift weights. Here's my regiment

1. Run, Mackie Shilstone has a great routine that simulates an actual fight, he has the fighters run once around the field then sprint as hard as they can. This helps because in fights you will speed up and slow down.
2. Shadow box, this is for speed, flexibility, and to work on your technique.
3. Bag work, the heavy bag helps with distance and power. Always use a boxing timer to simulate an actual round.
4. Speed bag, works reflexes and speed.
5. Resistance cords, also works speed.
6. Sparring, this is very important because this is where you test your mettle. This is where you learn if what you learned will work.
7. Yoga or Pilates, This may make some laugh but the more flexible fighter is usally the better fighter. Yoga and Pilates works.

Finally, have a good coach or partner to help you with your weaknesses that you can't see.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 6 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #28

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Great idea for the new forum! I posted about it on the main page of the Rules/Suggestions thread. We are seeing more users who are very interested in training, diet, conditioning, and anything that may help supplement their health.The best advice is to consult with your physician or health-care professional(s) for the proper regiments that are unique to you.

I have also been interested in learning about natural health care supplements that our community may use in training. What has worked, what hasn't.

ONE RULE THAT REALLY MUST APPLY TO THE FORUM. PLEASE DO NOT URL LINK TO ANY SITES THAT SOLICIT HEALTH CARE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. THERE IS NO WAY OF KNOWING THE LEGITIMACY OF THE CLAIMS MADE BY THE SITE PROMOTING THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES AND WE DON'T WANT SPAMMY HEALTH-CARE ADVERTISING IN THIS FORUM!

This forum is for users to discuss their experiences and results with BOXING, MMA, NUTRITION and WEIGHT CONDITIONING PROCEDURES for our community. Please do not advertise or solicit products by linking to them in this section.

Jack

Administrator

+Quote Post
stillperpetually...
post Feb 6 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #29

Strawweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,947

The general idea behind the weight training aspect involved in boxing is to develop the fast twitch muscles, and rather than build muscle mass, you simply need to retain muscle mass and lose body fat. Essentially you want as much of your body weight as possible to be muscle as long as you stay in a healthy distance your desired fighting weight. Example, most welterweight fighters walk around at an in shape, lean 160 pounds or so, and then gradually lose the extra weight in the few months leading up to the weigh-in.

In order to achieve the aforementioned results, a regular workout for a boxer should be cardio-intense with high reps and little rest between sets. Supersets are also very good, this is where two workouts are performed consecutively in order to comlete one set, exmaple: do a set of pushups/chest exercise immediately followed with a set of pullups/back exercise, then rest for 60 seconds and repeat 3 times. 50 percent of the workout should be resistance/strength training at an intense pace, and the other 50 percent should be strictly cardio. It is important when doing cardio to do something different each day. One day just jog 3 miles or so, the next day do sets of sprints, the next do sets of running up-hill. This way your fast twitch muscles will develop explosiveness with the sprints and up-hill runs and your overall endurance will improve from the long jogs.

This regimen of 30-45 minutes of resistance training coupled with 30-45 of cardio should be done 4-6 times per week depending on how cruel and intense you are on your body, it will let you know if you need an extra day of rest.

This is just the very tip of the iceberg of my knowledge on strength training as well as working out. I used to be a personal trainer and I know the exact science behind strength and fitness training. My knowledge of strength training combined with my love, knowledge, and time spent in boxing gyms allows me a special insight on how to prepare the body for boxing.

Starting next week I am getting back in the gym, and I am going to keep a detailed log/photo/video journal of the transformation I am about to put my body through. This is not only for my general health and well being, I also plan on finally making my debut in the amateur ranks in order to help pay my law through law school this fall. Starting this monday, over the next two months I am going to go from my current weight of 175 pounds with a body fat of around 16 percent or so to about 165 to 160 pounds with a body fat of 6-8 percent.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 6 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #30

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 6 2009, 11:03 AM) [snapback]424111[/snapback]
Fitz...the problem with weights is they increase fatigue...it sucks, but it's true.

Bigger muscles require more oxygen.

EXACTLY!!!!You nailed it Spyder..When I was doing weights I would be dead tired after 1 round of 2 minutes and now I can spar 4 rounds of 3 minutes minus the weights..

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:30 AM